main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan as a duelist

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Master_Kenobi1138, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kenobi1138

Master_Kenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Is Obi-Wan actualy good duelist or is he just lucky all the time. My reasoning for this is that after wtching Obi get owned by Dooku twice i'm not sure if Obi-wan is as good as i thought.

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    My impression is that Obi-Wan has a way of profiting from over-confidence, arrogance and rash action of his adversories. To be honest, in effect he was beaten by Darth Maul in TPM, wasn't he? He won the duel finally because Maul was over-confident, thought Obi-Wan was done and was not paying attention, so he caught him totally by surprise. The duel Obi-Wan vs. Anakin has been discussed a lot in the ROTS forum, and I go with those who think that Obi-Wan's victory was mainly due to Anakin's ill-considered and unnecessary stunt action, trying to leap over him.

Edit: One might add the similar case of Grievous, who also was all over him until the very end.

This is not to discredit Obi-Wan, I like the character, but it's not primarily his duelling skills that I like about him.

3. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Obi was only a padawan when fighting Maul, his skills were deffinatly not up to Maul's.

Don't underestimate Dooku, he is a true marksman of the saga, Obi has his strongpoints in dueling .

4. Vagrant66

Vagrant66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2005
    He was beaten by Darth Maul only when he lashed out. When he went mad with his Lightsaber, Maul knocked him off the edge. It was when he calmed and thought about things he was able to take out Maul.

Note that after the fight with Maul, Obi-Wan started fighting in a more defensive style slightly similar to Qui-Gon's. It makes sense that Dooku could best him at this.

EDIT: Oh, and Anakin fights in an aggressive, unpredictable manner that works well against Dooku's more calculated and precise style. Which is why Anakin can beat him.

5. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    in the novelisation of ROTS, it says that Obi-Wan has virtually flawless technique. He doesn't have the raw ability of Anakin Yoda or Mace Windu, but what he knows, he knows how to do it perfectly, which means he can bide his time, waiting for his opponent to make a mistake. As a padawan, he defeated a Sith Lord. Thats gotta say something, even if it was luck. Maul had just slaughtered a slightly past his prime Jedi Master, so he obviously was a capable lightsaber duelist in his own right. Obi-Wan gets credit from me. (it is AMAZING to me how both him and Vader completely forget everything they learn in lightsaber techniques by ANH, as that duel was absolutely pathetic. Too bad GL couldn't afford a competent fight choreographer at the time.

6. Master_Kenobi1138

Master_Kenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    if Obi-wan was also a master of form IV(which is the acrobatic form) how come he never used this form or acutaly was agressive or acrobatic?

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Probably GL had a list of all the special effects he wanted to do, and it was an oversight. He only budgeted for 1,343,435 special effects shots, and adding the acrobatics to Obi_Wan would made it 1,343,458 special effects, putting him overbudget....Its a Jabba the Hut in ANH deal...GL only has a billion dollars to play with, he can't afford EVERYTHING. yeeesh.

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Obi-Wan wasn't a master of Form IV, he was a master of Form III, a defensive form. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon however both used Form IV at the time of TPM, but since Maul manage to break through Jinn's defences and kill him, Obi-Wan switched to Form III shortly after TPM so he could defend himself easierly.

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    He pwns Anakin, nuff said!

10. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    From my point of view as a duelist Obi is very good, but not geat, from Gillard he is at lv 8 and the top is 9 in ROTS. He is the smart jedi who uses more than just his fighting ability and uses this too his advantage to defeat his oppenent.

11. MASTERANNIE

MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    He's experienced and good...I didn't really understand why he didn't beat Dooku, if he manages to beat Anakin...during the movies he seems a perfect awkward...BUT HE's NOT!!!
    love him...[face_love]

12. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    "in my experience there is no such thing as luck"

this means a lot to me. obi wan is an applished jedi who has had some pretty tough situations to get out of.

there is more evidence of obi wans skill as a jedi and a duelist then any other character in the saga.
    there is no question of his abilities as far as I am concerned. number scales mean little to nothing to me. nick's 8 out of nine is flatering and all but when he places all the other jedi who have speaking parts at 9 who cares. we never see yoda win a duel, anakin gets beat by dooku, and sidious has all kinds of crazy motives for how his duels go. mace just has the one duel. so I really could care less for comparisions of one to the other. means nothing.

what we see in the films is obi wan defeat a sith when he was still a padawan, we see him seccsfully hunt a bounty hunter. while he gets away obi wan uses this to his advantage. his duel with dooku would have gone differently if anakin had just listioned to him. and as far as the second time around dooku threw obi wan and anakin at the same time he focused more energy on obi wan because the goal was to seperate them. the fact that he survived that fight is a testiment to his will. we hear from the rest of the council that obi wan is ther best choice to send after grivious. this is not a snub of anakin this is a vote of confidence on obi wans behalf. they would not send him to fail, just to snub anakin and palpitine. this is a task that obi wan preforms seccsfully.

that fact is no matter what his task is he preforms at the best of his abilities, he is seccsful the majority of the time. we see his deeds. everybody else we have to base our opinions on what reputation thay have. not what we see but what thay say.

13. DarthJebediah

DarthJebediah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005

The goal was indeed to seperate them, but look again. Palpatine is the one who lifts Obi-Wan up into the air; you can tell by the way he sort of lurches up in his seat, knowing that noone would suspect him of it for obvious reasons. Dooku had nothing to do with that, he merely just flinged him across the room into the balcony.

14. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

I do not believe this!

Anyone know what the novel says about this duel??

15. DarthJebediah

Jun 28, 2005
    Just look! It's more than obvious and has plenty of logic it to it. Dooku was'nt even looking at Kenobi when he was sent up into the air, helpless!

16. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Sorry but i am unconvinced!

Surely if that was the case Obi-Wan would have been able to tell who was using the force on him and thus dicover that Palpatine was behind it all. As that does not happen i believe it was ALL Dooku.

17. DarthJebediah

Jun 28, 2005
    Believe what you want, but don't forget that Palpatine is THE MAN when it comes to "masking" yourself from others.

18. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    well I don't know if I agree, but it does make sense, and it is not beyond a possibility, the ship was called the invisable hand. I would like to know what the novel says.

19. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    It wasn't Palpatine

In the novel, Anakin and Obi Wan start the fight pretending they're weak; then all of a sudden they let loose on Dooku and Dooku realizes that he'll lose. Since Palpatine already told him to off Kenobi, he focuses all of his forcestrength into a single push and knocks him against a wall. Obi Wan passes out and Anakin gets angry, Dooku pushes his Vader buttons a little bit more and Anakin loses himself and beats him.

- O_F

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Obi Wan is a good duelist, but not great. He got outdueled and/or over powered by Dooku twice. The only reason that Obi lasted as long as he did againist Anakin/Vader is because he trained him, knows him like a brother, and played his weakness(not using proper judgement and trying to use an Obi Wan patented move on the man who invented it).

21. Sweet_James_Jones

Sweet_James_Jones Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    We seem to forget that Dooku was probably the best duelist out of the whole saga save for a few. The reason Dooku beat Kenobi was because he was simply better. I think I read somewhere that Obi uses Form III combined with a lil bit of IV.

By the way Yoda uses form IV...

22. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Obi Wan was probably only behind Yoda and Windu. He is probably better than Anakin as a duelist. But with the force is a whole new story.

23. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    Everyone knows obi wan is on par or better than anakin in duelling.
    Yet anakin mocks him in the ROTS novel byy saying, "You're a horrible duelist. That's why you're called the Negotiator!"

24. DarthJebediah

Jun 28, 2005
    He was probably just doing that to push his buttons.

And I apologize about the whole thing with Palpy being the one to lift Obi-Wan up (not throw across the hall into the balcony, which is obvious Dooku's doing), but from what I had seen, I was truely convinced! Hell, I think it could've made it a bit better if that were the case, IMHO.

25. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Yeah, that was a good line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.