main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan has issues...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by PyrhanaJEDI, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ataris

Ataris Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    Obi-Wan by episode VI, according to episode III is a compulsive liar.

1.) He informs Luke that Anakin Skywalker never knew of Padme's pregnancy.
    - Anakin was very much aware of his ill-fated wife's pregnancy, although he did not know that she was carrying twins

2.) He tells Luke that Owen and Beru are related to him (I think he said that they were brothers in one of the episodes of Star Wars)
    - Episode II makes it clear that Anakin is the relation to the Lars family and not Obi-Wan Kenobi. Owen Lars is Anakin's stepbrother through Shmi Skywalker.

3.) Obi-Wan tells Luke that his mother took Leia to Alderaan to be raised by Senator/Viceroy/Prince Consort Bail Organa and his wife.
    - Padme dies of a broken heart after giving birth to the Skywalker twins. There is no way that she could have delivered Leia to Alderaan.

Those are the main ones that I can remember at the time being. I just found it odd that the "good" guy lied all the way through the original trilogy and the villians (i.e. Darth Vader, Emperor Sidious) were truthful. The only lie that Obi-Wan told that can be redeemed was that Anakin had died at the hand of Darth Vader because hypothetically it was true.

2. STWRSFREAK

STWRSFREAK Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    what no that bull you had to make that up or i am crazy
    maby your the compulsive liar...

obi never said anikin did not know about the pregnancy
    (if im wrong id like to see the proof )
    He never said leais mother had her on alderann
    And luke had no idea about his fathers true identity so he had no clue that his uncle was anakins step brother........

the truth hurts dosent it...!

3. racerx

racerx Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Obi-Wan by episode VI, according to episode III is a compulsive liar.

- Anakin was very much aware of his ill-fated wife's pregnancy, although he did not know that she was carrying twins

2.) He tells Luke that Owen and Beru are related to him (I think he said that they were brothers in one of the episodes of Star Wars)
    - Episode II makes it clear that Anakin is the relation to the Lars family and not Obi-Wan Kenobi. Owen Lars is Anakin's stepbrother through Shmi Skywalker.

3.) Obi-Wan tells Luke that his mother took Leia to Alderaan to be raised by Senator/Viceroy/Prince Consort Bail Organa and his wife.
    - Padme dies of a broken heart after giving birth to the Skywalker twins. There is no way that she could have delivered Leia to Alderaan.

Umm...

1.) No
    2.) No
    3.) No

You have watched the movies, yes? :rolleyes:

4. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    you're looking at it from anakin's point of view. really, obi-wan does practically everything he does for a good reason.

5. ObiKajanee

ObiKajanee Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2003

He never said anything about pregnancy, and the he and Yoda made sure that it appeared the children died with Padme.

He never said anything about Owen being his brother in the movie. That was in the novel. Anything George took out of the movie doesn't count.

He tells Luke that he and his sister, who remains safely anonymous, were split up. Doesn't say anything about their mother that I recall, or Alderaan, or Bail, for that matter.

Obi-Wan colors the information he gives to Luke in order to lead him in a certain direction, knowing that everything will become clear in its own time. The path is still Luke's to choose.

6. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Ataris:

You are taking that information from the novelization of ROTJ. It is not actually in the film and therefor, is not canon. So these are not actually things that Obi Wan told Luke.

7. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Well, Obi-Wan admitted that he had infact failed
    Anakin but he was still the one who was being
    attacked by his former padawan and not
    really the other way around even if
    he had ignited his light saber.

8. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    obi isn't jealous of anakin or trying to hold him back!
    didn't you watch the good bye scene???
    he's basically behaving like qui-gon in tpm in that scene...
    i don't even see how it's possible to interpret things this way!

9. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Obi wan was in love with padme all the time. secretly. I just noticed that after the 8th viewing. he looks at her with love eyes and touches her face. I think anakin may have picked up on this with the force.

10. Uric-Qel-Droma

Uric-Qel-Droma Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Obi wan was in love with padme all the time. secretly. I just noticed that after the 8th viewing. he looks at her with love eyes and touches her face. I think anakin may have picked up on this with the force.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

11. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Obi has compassion for Padme and it shows when he looks at
    her [as you said]. It's not a secret love as much as some
    would like it to be [for some strange reason].
    Obi is too much a dedicated and traditional Jedi to engage
    in that kind of relationship.

12. Darth_Dimitrius

Darth_Dimitrius Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes,it seems that the Jedi are another type of sith. They just have different objectives

13. theforcewithewan

theforcewithewan Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Obi-Wan knows deep down that Anakin's future is dark. Obi trusts his feelings and is always reluctant to give Anaking any responsiblity.

14. Ataris

Ataris Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    I thought that maybe I was mistaken about the previous statement that I posted, so I decided to re-watch Return of the Jedi. I typed down the part of the speech that Ben gave to Luke when he is talking to him after Yoda dies.

BEN (continuing his narrative)

When your father left, he didn't know your
    mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew
    he would find out eventually, but we wanted
    to keep you both as safe as possible, for as
    long as possible. So I took you to live with
    my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother
    took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator
    Organa, on Alderaan.

This scene was not deleted from the movie, at least the original movie before George Lucas tinkered with it. I have not seen the new version of the original trilogy. But that speech is in the movie.

15. Darth-Jedi-Master

Darth-Jedi-Master Jedi Master star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Obi Wan was a better Jedi than anyone even Qui Gun told him so
    Qui Gun: U are a wiser man than I am"
    Obi Wan: But master if u did not defy them so much u would be on the council.
    Obi wan was wiser than his Master he was just trying to guide Anakin in the right direction.
    and as for the post about a secret love no way

16. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Ataris...Where and When does this dialogue take place in ROTJ? It certainly didn't happen in the original or re-release.

17. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    This scene was not deleted from the movie, at least the original movie before George Lucas tinkered with it. I have not seen the new version of the original trilogy. But that speech is in the movie.

Uh... Not it's not, and no it wasn't - EVER!

VFD

18. Hapi-Wan

Hapi-Wan Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Ataris, that dialogue you typed is from the ROTJ novelization...it is definitely not from the movie - original, special edition or DVD.

19. FORCE_JUNKIE

FORCE_JUNKIE Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    You all seem to forget that Obi Wan had instantly agreed to train Anakin after his masters death. Effectively he was still a padawan when taking Anakin as his apprentice so Obi Wan is obviously going to have shortcomings as a master but it is hardly his fault. He wasn't as experienced as Qui Gonn and so everyone should cut Obi Wan some slack. It also didn't help that Anakin was headstrong also.

20. ohwise1

ohwise1 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Obi Wan has issues?

Wouldnt you if you had to spend 13 years training a brat like anakin. No wonder he became a hermit.
    Then he had to answer to kermit the frogs deformed cousin for his entire career

I'd have issues too

Massive hard on Obi Wan has

21. fitza

fitza Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Obi-Wan is a legend and the cornerstone of the PT. In fact, whats the point of the PT without Obi-Wan? To those who dislike Obi-Wan, state your points. I'm ready to shoot you down.

22. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Obi-Wan isn't the perfect Jedi as some make him out to be. I think he dealt with his problems in the best way he could have though, given his nature. Of course Obi-Wan was jealous of Anakin, Everyone was. Except maybe Yoda. But that doesn't make Obi-Wan a bad person. Everyone has envy, Obi-Wan isn't different. However, the thing that I think was Obi-Wan's biggest problem was the fact that he just agreed with everything the council did. The Jedi wanted Anakin to spy on Palpy, something that is against the Jedi code, and belief's... and Obi-Wan just wants Anakin to do it. The COuncil (Moreso Mace) doesn't want Anakin to be a Master, Obi-Wan makes no objection. He just blindly follows the Jedi Order through whatever it believes. Until the end when he has completely disarmed Anakin... he just walks away instead of helping Anakin. Up until the point where he watched Anakin burn alive without any help, Obi-Wan is the follow-suit Jedi... but at that point, he stops and realizes that the Jedi are not always right. By letting Anakin burn, he gives in to his own anger IMO. The Jedi in him would have saved Anakin, but Obi-Wan is hurt and angry at Anakin... so he lets him suffer.

23. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Obviously by ROTS Obi Wan has chanted his tune. He defended Anakin when Mace said he didn't trush and Yoda said the prophecy could have been misread. He also really didn't want to tell Anakin he was to spy on the chancellor.

24. psexy116

psexy116 Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Obiwan does have issues in that he can't seem to think for himself.

What I mean is that he obviously trained Ani for one reason: his promise to Quigon.

He goes along with the Council sending Anakin to protect Padme against his better judgment because the Council orders it.

He constantly berates Anakin because he doesn't really want to put up with him. As someone said, he views Ani as Quigon's child and his step-child.

He knows Ani should not have any further training due to his arrogance, etc, but he keeps traing him because the Council now wants the Chosen One fully trained and on their side due to the growing Sith menance.

In ROTS, Obiwan asks Anakin to spy on Palpatine even though he knows that Anakin is under a great deal of stress and won't handle this well. Plus he seems to suspect that this will put Anakin in a difficult position since he is such good friends with Palpatine.

When Anakin gets appointed to the Council, Obiwan berates Anakin for getting upset about not being made a master. Obiwan even makes some comment about Anakin wanting to be on the Council and using Palpatine to get it. This is ridiculous since we are led to beleive no Chancellor has ever appointed anyone to the Council or that Anakin influenced Palpatine to do this. Plus, anyone in Anakin's position is going to jump at the chance to reach a goal that one has had for years. Its called ambition, and I'm sure even Obiwan had it.

Later, Obiwan gets appointed to go after General Grievous and goes alone even though he admits that Anakin should come help him out. He does this because the Council tells him too, and while he is gone Anakin succumbs to the darkside.

Then we have Yoda telling Obiwan he must go destroy Anakin. Obiwan basically begs Yoda not to send him after Anakin, to let him go to certain death against Lord Sidious. Obiwan says he can't kill his brother, but he goes because Yoda orders him too.

And then Obiwan uses Padme to get to Anakin, whcih basically ruins any hope of Anakin's wife saving him.

Obiwan follows this up by arguing with Anakin when he exits the ship. The great negotiator tells Anakin that Padme doesn't love him anymore, that he has become the thing that he had been fighting, that only Sith deal in absolutes and that he will kill him if he must. Wow. Obiwan the great negotiator did a lovely job of trying to help his friend here. He approaches him in a threatening manner, insults him, tells him that he is evil, declares him beyond hope by labeling him a sith, and insinuates that he is going to kill him. I'm glad most negotiators don't use this approach, because nothing would ever be settled.

Then Obiwan dismembers Anakin and lets him burn alive. This is the last opportunity to save Anakin, but Obiwan abandons his friend to the darkside by saying "I loved you" and "You were the Chosen One>" You will notice that all this is past tense, and he walks away from the dying Anakin.

Then Obiwan spends the OT trying to mold Luke into a weapon to kill Vader and the Emperor. At no point in the OT, does George Lucas present anything to show that Obiwan is lying to Luke about wanting him to kill his father. In fact, if Luke had followed Obiwan's advice and killed Vader, we would have had a new sith lord, not a new republic.

So I truly believe Obiwan had issues, because he kept ignoring what he felt and obeying the orders of the Jedi Council and Yoda even when those orders led to disaster. Obiwan is a fine soldier: he obeys no matter how dumb his officers show themselves to be.

25. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Obi-Wan has issues...

jedi can't get none.

anakin has padme, wouldn't you be jealous?

all obi has is yoda, i mean that's gotta suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.