Obi-Wan has issues...

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by PyrhanaJEDI, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eron_Darkestar Jedi Padawan

Obi-Wan does not have any issues, he is the perfect Jedi. He's slightly cocky, I'll agree, but you're going to appear that way if you have trained yourself to be completely self-confident and without fear. Obi-Wan is not envious of Anakin, you dont tell the person you are envious of that he has become a far greater Jedi than you could ever hope to be and smile. If he had been living with envy of Anakin's talents for a decade he would have choked on those words.

Obi-Wan loved Anakin like a baby brother, he cared for him for years the best he could. I dont see any traces of Anakin being held back its obvious he would have failed the test of spirit because of his fear and that would have only made him angrier. Obi-Wan understood his Padawan and knew that he simply did not have what it took to be a Jedi Knight in AOTC.

Moreover, why should anyone expect Obi-Wan to understand why Anakin is upset at not being a Master? Jedi are not supposed to be covetous or ambitious indeed isnt their maxim 'there is no emotion; there is the force?' Obi-Wan exemplifies this in the coolness he shows after basically killing his best friend. He loved Anakin but by time he leaves its already past tense. He is a Jedi, it breaks his heart, but he gets right back up and returns to the force the way any Jedi should.

Lastly, why should Obi-Wan save Anakin? Which Jedi in their right mind would rescue someone who's eyes were blazing yellow encircled by red? That is the trademark expression of a Sith that has been completely corrupted by hate e.g. Darth Maul. Anakin was not climbing up the bank to save himself, his expression illustrates this point, he was climbing up the bank to kill Obi-Wan. His entire life he blamed Obi-Wan for all his shortcomings and it wouldnt surprise me if he spent the next 20 years blaming Obi-Wan for taking Padme from him so he could not use his 'new powers' to save her.

Obi-Wan did his best. Obi-Wan was the best.
  2. yaddidameen Jedi Knight

star 3
    Obi-Wan did his best. Obi-Wan was the best.

HAHAHAHA! tell that to dooku.

the best my arse!
  3. Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Knight

star 3
    I allso feel that Obi-Wan made mistakes in training Anakin. But Anakin was his first apprentice and a difficult apprentice as well. I think Obi-Wan was right about number of things, it's just the way he gets his message across thats at fault. At times, it allmost felt as Obi-Wan was trying to belittle his apprentice. To put him in his place. Allways reminding Anakin that he is just a padawan and that he is very young. I think he only managed to tick Anakin off. It felt like Obi was lacking some teaching skills. he couldn't really put himself in Anakins position. (I couldn't believe that Obi just shrug off Anakins concerns about his mother. "Dreams pass in time" What kind of a friend is he?) He allways expected Anakin to act as Obi himself would. Anakin was frustrated and it's not that difficult to see why. If you are allways being reminded of your failures and never given credit for the good things you've done(Obi-Wan should have atleast acknowledged that Anakin coming to rescue him in Geonisis was a thing that a true friend would do, instead of mock him some more), it ultimately can be frustrating. But still, Anakin was as much fault for not truly listening to his master. And thinking that Obi wanted to hold him back. At least Obi wan learned his lesson and trained Luke differently. He is patient with Luke and lets Luke make his own mistakes and learn from them. He wanted Anakin to be without fault and that's where I think he made his mistake. As much as Obi didn't understand Anakin, Anakin didn't understand Obi-Wan.
    Hmm..And just to be clear: Anakins fall to the darkside was still Anakins own choise regardless of what I just said earlier. It was his choise and his choise alone. I was merely commenting on Obi-Wans teaching skills and his "humanskills" (spelling? I'm sorry i don't know the proper English word for it :( )
  4. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I was merely commenting on Obi-Wans teaching skills and his "humanskills" (spelling? I'm sorry i don't know the proper English word for it

Hmm...personal skills? Social skills?
  5. THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    He wanted Anakin to be without fault and that's where I think he made his mistake. As much as Obi didn't understand Anakin, Anakin didn't understand Obi-Wan.

Well he didnt want Anakin to be without faults because we all have them he wanted Anakin to confront and deal with those faults. Like he said in the Clone Wars Series cartoon "the toughest trial a Jedi would face would be to look inward and change the things we dont like. Nothing is set in stone and our decisions shape our destiny's."
    That is what Kenobi and even Padme told Anakin in AOtc, she said, "Our mentors have a way of finding more of our faults then we would like it is the only way we can grow."

Hmm..And just to be clear: Anakins fall to the darkside was still Anakins own choise regardless of what I just said earlier. It was his choise and his choise alone. I was merely commenting on Obi-Wans teaching skills and his "humanskills"

Yeah well a teacher can try and teach you but it is ulimately your choice to receive the lesson and apply it to your life. It took Vaderkin 20+ years to get the lesson. " I am a slow learner."-Anakin Skywalker-AOTC
  6. PyrhanaJEDI Jedi Master

star 1
    The arrival of the movie ROTS has neither confirmed nor denied my original theory but does lead me to ammend my ideas of Obi-Wan's attitude towards Anakin based on what we now know of their relationship(s) in the newest movie.

It is my personal theory that before the movie had really even started that Obi-Wan had been infected with the same Anakin-worship that was the unique personaltiy trait of only Qui-Gonn Jinn, so far. I believe that he took the same Anakin defender position in fornt of the leaders of the Jedi, in just the same fashion. Based on his first hand experience of Anakin's awesomeness with the Force, Ibelieve that he could not form any other enlightened conclusion, than Anakin was the fulfillment of the millenia old prophecy of the Jedi.

However I believe that the events in this movie, finally cemented Obi-Wan's aversion to Anakin Skywalker. Kenobi's newest position, necessary as it may be, is totally unflexible, and does seem to show, to me at least, that Obi-Wan would and does sacrifice Anakin's own family, towards his own pursuits of challenging Anakin Skywalker.

It is only theory, but it seems to me that his confession to Padme of Anakin's Sith gestures in the destruction of the Jedi Temple, was a means towards hurting Anakin and his relationship with Padme. He worries her to the point of making a rash decision, such as showing up for Anakin, at a possible battle front, manipulating her the whole way by being a castaway on her ["friendly"] vessel.
    His arrival in tandem with Padme, who now knew of Anakin's involvements with Dark Side, was done only to keep Anakin off balance. Padme's death[/choking experience, really] was nowhere near close to even tried to have been prevented by Obi-Wan; he brought her right to him.

Also, in addition, after Anakin was took down, the feeling of rejoicement, even after the death of Padme and all those Jedi and the defeat (for want of a better word) of Yoda seems as if it could only have been based by the disfigurement/probable death of Anakin.
  7. darkscout36 Jedi Knight

star 1
    in AOTC, anakin was still young and wild. He is a teenager at the time (19) so Obiwan would consider him still a padawan. Come the clone wars, obi probably thought he was who qui gon said he would be and, during the wars, anakin matured greatly. That's why in ROTS, obi says "you're a far greater jedi then i ever hope to be". He's not holding him back by ROTS cuz he's "mature" in his point of view. Also a war hero.

Someone posted earlier that obi-wan made mistakes in Anakin's training. Sure, why not, no teachers are perfect. But onto matters, he was still young, and have yet to face the trials when Anakin was thrown at him in TPM. He was 29 (i think). The line he said in ROTS was "I have failed you anakin, I have failed you". Meaning he made certain mistakes to get him to turn to the darkside. He never taught him to think. And it was hard to train the "messiah". Especially when he knows who he's supposed to be, which made him arrogant as Obi said in AOTC, he says "his abilities have made him, arrogant". This arrogance leads to his overconfidence, which condemns him to be half man/half machine for 22 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.