main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Obi-wan has taught you well", Yoda gets shafted in this

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMyBoy, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Think about it, twice Vader says that and in the end Yoda is the one who taught him and trained him. We know that Vader/Anakin knows about Yoda, did he just assume he is dead???

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, I think so. Neither Palpatine nor Vader knew that Yoda was alive. And Vader saw Obi-Wan with Luke on the first Death Star, so he assumed Obi-Wan was the only one to train Luke.

At least, that's what I think! :)

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I agree. They probably wrote Yoda off as he stayed hidden for so long and possibly Kenobi until he too reappeared.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Vader didn't know Yoda was still alive.

5. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    So Vader thought he was training by himself the time between ANH and ESB? Hmm...that would explain why he thought he would be easy to lure to the dark side since he, Luke, a novice, would've been guidlessly meddling in the Force.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    EV Edit: I don't know if that is true or not, but either way no EP3 spoilers (NO MATTER HOW VAGUE) or even speculation. You want to speculate go to 3NSA, as myself and others don't know the difference between speculation and spoilers. Some speculation may be permitted, it all depends upon the content of speculation.

As a future note, anyone who spoils me for EP3 will be banned for a week. Well it is not just me, but if you post a spoiler in EP3 even on accident, you'll be gone for a week.

7. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    DarthLassic007, I take it that is sepeculation?

8. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That sure as hell better of been speculation. I hope so, for your sake.

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    No spoiler. Just pure speculation on my part.

10. darklordexarkun

darklordexarkun Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    it seems odd to me that both the emporer and vader were in the dark about yoda being dead or alive with as powerful and strong with the force as yoda is supposed to be. even when he dies we hear thunder crack in the distance, giving us a sence of importance he had to the galaxy, could they not even feel that. ben was able to feel the folko die on alderaan so why could at least sid feel yoda gone. i am willing to understand that vader was a little groggy with ben on the falcon for theatrical effect and because dude is mostly circuts. but in the end obi-wan is always credited with being "the teacher" in other movies and in general sw discussion outside of the jukebox

11. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Yoda would have to be presumed dead or else Vader and the Emperor would be searching for him, too. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't say anything about him to Luke if they knew he was alive.

There isn't any evidence that Jedi can sense the death of an individual, even if they are another Jedi. Unless you're going by EU. Alderaan had several million people on it and the Millenium Falcon was heading for it at the time.

12. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    In the films, they probably had no clue Yoda taught Luke, much less he was alive. However, in the novel, it seems Palpatine has some idea. He said words to the effect of "Obi-Wan could not have been your only teacher, come now, who else has taught you the ways of the Force?" and Luke tries to block his thought unsuccessfully, then Palpatine says "...Yoda! Teach you, did he?"

Heh, so he did diss Yoda a little in the novel :D

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yes, in the ROTJ novel the Emperor became aware that Yoda had aided Luke. Fortunately, Yoda had already passed away. That would have been terrible if the old guy was sleeping in his tree trunk and 50 storm troopers and Vader showed up on Dagobah.

14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Before anh Vader presumed Obi was dead or long gone, as he said I feel I presence I haven't felt in a long time. He and Palps probally haven't felt either presence in between the 2 triologies. And as Sithman said, he saw Luke w/ Obi, but never w/ Yoda.

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Of course, Vader could also have no idea how long Obi-Wan had to train Luke. He might have thought Kenobi had been secretly training him for quite a while, rather than the week (at best) he really had with Luke.

16. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "There isn't any evidence that Jedi can sense the death of an individual, even if they are another Jedi. Unless you're going by EU. Alderaan had several million people on it and the Millenium Falcon was heading for it at the time. "

Ep IV ANH -- Vader senses Obi Wan and Luke's strength in the Force. Also the reason Alderran resonated was because it was millions of people, all the fauna on the planet, all of it made a ripple in the Force. Any Force sensitive would've felt it.

Ep V ESB -- Luke sense's Han and Leia while on Dagobah. Don't forget the telepathy between Vader/Luke and Luke/Leia. In order for that to work they had to be able to sense one another.

Ep VI ROTJ -- Luke sense's Vader while approaching the DSII while Vader is senseing Luke. In the throne room Vader all but reads Luke's mind about the other Skywalker.

EP I TPM -- Obi Wan could sense something vague in the Force, the Phantem Menace, Sidious, perhaps?

Ep II AOTC -- Anakin is senses Padme in her room not to mention Shmi and the pain she is feeling while in Tusken captivity.

Nope, no examples in the movies of Jedi sensing others. It's all EU. :p

17. darklordexarkun

darklordexarkun Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    thats funny, thanks man

18. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I guess that nagging feeling I was missing something was right. [face_blush]

19. IceDawg

IceDawg Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I would think that Vader wouldn't know that Yoda is still alive, or else he would have tried to kill him off.

20. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    Or maybe Vader knew he could not defeat Yoda

21. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    We'll see in '05...

22. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    I dont think Ep. III will waste time with that