main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-Wan High Ground Perk and Kit Fisto, Everyone's Favorite Fodder

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Considering the "high ground" did nothing for Maul, why do jedi get magic high ground power-up but sith don't? Seems unfair to me. Also, with Kit Fisto, what exactly is his power anyway? I have a theory, see, considering all Kit Fisto accomplished (in the films) was standing like a statue while a 70 year old man killed him, I think he had an ability much more powerful than reading minds or tossing people....he brought joy and warmth to the situation. His smile was his true power, brightening everyone's day, Anakin even notes his decapitated head is smirking on Palpatine's table (in a heartwarming and disturbing manner). It is truly a shame that he died....doing nothing....failing to even try to block a telegraphed attack....from a frail old man...

Sarge and The Supreme Chancellor like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I think in both Vader and Maul's case, they were arrogant and overconfident.

Kit Fisto had some lightsaber skill, he almost beat Grievous even after losing his former Padwan. Also he was really great in the water. See that one episode of the original Clone Wars. Though of course the latter didn't help them that night Palpatine's office, but just an example. I think that scene where Palpatine cutting the two Masters down so quickly followed by Fisto shortly afterwards shows how behind and off guard the Jedi are. As I said in a previous thread, the Jedi been preparing for the last war with the Sith of the old. They weren't prepared for this new war or the Sith of the new.

3. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    Surely the point is that Kenobi pulled an outrageous move from a hugely disadvantageous position in the Duel of the Fates and got Maul by surprise when he thought he'd already won. In RotS Anakin tries to pull the same move not realising that Kenobi knows it and isn't surprised at all -hence pieces of Anakin everywhere.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed, Anakin was supremely over confident and tried a move Obi-Wan was fully prepared for. Maul saw Obi-Wan as a defeated padawan who was doomed to die, and didn't suspect he would have the heart left to pull off such a move. And Kit Fisto, yeah he died pretty crappily like all the other masters. It was a poor choice choreography-wise.

only one kenobi and FARK2005 like this.
  5. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Obi-Wan owned the move Anakin was attempting. It had worked for him before, so he knew how to cut Anakin down before he himself was sliced in half. It's not a Jedi vs. Sith thing. It's quite simply experience.

Kit Fisto lasted longer than Agen Kolar or Saesee Tiin. They're the ones who got cut down right away, not Kit.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It isn't just that Ratio Tile had the geography that he stands compare his superior; it shows that he learned from Darth Maul to USE the high ground when he could

7. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    He literally lasted like 2 seconds longer than them, and he died to a easily blockable strike from Palpatine just as they did. It made him look just as pathetic.

only one kenobi likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Obi-Wan's experience shines through, as well as his mindset (as pained as he was during that fight.) As others have said, Anakin's arrogance was the reason why he wound up the way he did.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I think Palpatine just surprised them with how quick and agile he was. Agen Kolar goes down like a punk, but for Saesee Tiin it was just a matter of being stunned and not reacting fast enough. Kit Fisto puts up a pretty good fight for a few seconds, but he briefly leaves a small opening in his defense and Palpatine instantly takes advantage of it.

Maybe it could have been executed better, but the three Jedi Masters were supposed to go down surprisingly quickly, to show just how dangerous Sidious was.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Once again, I understand the purpose, but it is lost in choreography. It could have been exectued tremendously better. In the CW miniseries, General Greivous kills off a group of Jedi one by one and it makes him look like the baddest as ever because of the intimidation he invokes and the viciousness of his attacks. In the Sidious scene, I would have been equally impressed if he had knocked over some pylons. I feel like anyone who has an in-depth understanding of Jedi Masters and their vaunted abilites would watch that scene and go "Wait, what?"

11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I agree with you. The 3 other Jedi were just fodder to show Palpatine was nothing to sneeze at. They should have put the Star Trek Red Shirts on them right before, it would have been fitting.

Of all 6 Star Wars movies this was my least favorite lightsaber fight because it didn't really accomplish what they set out to do, and that was to establish that Palpatine was powerful, fast (for an old man), and deadly.

12. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    The high ground is figurative not literal.

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    there seems to be two threads on this subject :p

both coincidently have "Kit Fisto " in the titles.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    He clearly meant it as both. He was literally in a higher position than Anakin.

Among the Clouds likes this.