main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan in Ep. III: questions that need answers

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Rilina, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually in TPM that's how Obi-Wan ends up defeating Maul by calming himself and using the light side. But I agree, that's his style and says a lot about his character. Personally, I would like to see Obi-Wan get pissed off but then realise that he needs to chill out because if not, the battle's just going to go on endlessly. I think he has to reluctantly destroy Anakin.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I know this is coming pretty late, but I felt the need to reply to some of the points in this thread. Thanks, stinrab, for reopening it for me. :)

Rilina

1) "I haven't gone by Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born." Huh? Will we see him using the name Ben before the birth of the twins (which will presumably be shown in Ep. III)?

I'm sure we will. It may not be exactly before he was born, but he was giving a general reference. He was a General, in which case he may have needed a simpler name. :p "General Ben Kenobi." Also, I don't recall any sources stating that the Jedi names are their birth names, so Ben may have even been his birth name.

2) The whole "General Kenobi" business. There's already a thread on this, but it's worth throwing into the mix here as well.

Well, based on what we've seen in Episode II and read in Shatterpoint, some Jedi take command of Clone Trooper squadrons. I've always assumed, even before Episode II, that something like this will happen. Mace was a general (re: Shattpoint); I guess Obi-Wan becomes one either before or during Episode III.

3) Obi-Wan and Owen Lars: In ANH, Owen obviously knows and dislikes Obi-Wan. Will we see their meeting and the origin of Owen's hostility in Ep. III?

I doubt if we see a major confrontation or anything, but you'd pretty mad too if the one who taught Anakin brings Anakin's son to live you after Anakin becomes Vader. ;) In addition, I think that he was trying to discourage Luke from wishing to meet Obi-Wan as much as possible. He doesn't want Luke to be the next Vader.

On a related note, will there be any explanation of: "He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your father did." What crusade would that be?

This could be several things. For one, it could be traced clear back to TPM. As I've stated in several threads (in other forums though), Anakin followed Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan away from Tatooine, and there is absolutely no reason to mention Qui-Gon in the OT, the fact that GL hadn't created him yet notwithstanding. Anyway, then Anakin becomes Obi-Wan's apprentice, and therefore follows him on many "crusades."

Another option comes from Episode II. Obi-Wan goes to Geonosis, and when Anakin finds out, he follows him. I think the beginning of the Clone Wars could be considered a "crusade."

And finally, it could be something in Episode III. This could include many variables, many of them involving Anakin's turn itself.

The major problem with this theory is: Why would Owen be involved at all in Anakin's decision process? We can hardly expect Anakin to check in with Owen before he goes rushing off to weird corners of the galaxy.

Just because he doesn't agree with it doesn't mean that he talked to Anakin about it. Example: I don't think Hitler should have done what he did. I've never talked to him, but I can think that he shouldn't have done things that he did.

But in ANH, Owen doesn't seem bitter about having Luke with him. He's more bitter/angry about the possibility of losing Luke--whether to Obi-Wan or to the academy.

Yes. Losing him to the dark side. He doesn't want to take any chances.

Obi-Paul

I find it hard to believe that this line is in their for no reason. By the end of the movie, I was totally confused. Yoda is leading the clone troopers all over the place like a general and it doesn't make sense.

They didn't have a whole lot of a choice. They didn't like it, but they were left with no other choice. At this point, they still serve the Republic, and the Republic needs to be defended.

Well, perhaps there will be a battle in Alderaan--it does seem like there has to be some explanation of why Leia ends up there.

Well, I think based on dialogue from ANH, it's safe to assume that Bail Organa is involved with the Rebellion (duh), and I guess the Jedi felt they could trust him enough to raise Leia.

The only problem with a battle

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    what Ousley, do you have a certain word count you have to hit every night...that's in the tens of thousands of words?!? [face_laugh]

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Nope, I just post until I'm tired. I just started posting in NSA, but I like it a lot better than SA, even if I'm not going spoiler free. I like the more in depth discussions this forum has. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.