main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Obi-Wan in Episode VII - Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Latinoreview now reports that after the Emperor now Obi Wan is also set to return... Good news for Ewan, if correct... If the Emperor does indeed return in Spirit form, It only makes sense that Obi-Wan would return as well. I am sure that Anakon and Yoda, maybe even Qui-Gon will also appear. A Netherworld Battle between good and evil, light and dark seems possible...

Dra--- likes this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Well, I'm a believer that provided ghost Obi isn't talking to Luke, there is no reason why ghost Obi shouldn't be Ewan.

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    After I ran the story about the return of Emperor Palpatine as a Force Ghost in ‘Star Wars: Episode VII,’ I found out shortly thereafter that well, it looks as though Palpatine might not be the only one coming back in a spectral form. Also returning from the netherworld of the Force is Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    After all, Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared throughout the original trilogy, despite his death in ‘A New Hope’. I have confirmed this with three close sources that are on the project and they all confirmed to me that Ewan McGregor would be back as a Force Ghost in the upcoming sequel trilogy. McGregor was always down to return. Don’t take my word for it, check out the following interview he gave to digital spy late last year.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Not a big scoop at all, neither the standalone film nor the reappearance of Obi-Wan's Force ghost.
    Pretty much everyone here was speculating since day one about Yoda and Obi-Wan's involvement as ghosts in the ST.
    After all, Obi-Wan has been in two films already as a Force ghost, it's no shocker at all that he'll make another appearance or two.

kainee likes this.
  5. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    And out goes the EU.

Darkslayer, QsAssistant and Jedi_Matt like this.
  6. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
  7. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

People have issues that the Obi force ghost will have 2 images though. I don't. Really, only the Big 3, Chewie and the droids ever saw Alec Obi. So if ghost Obi is conversing with the new protagonists why the hell not take on a younger, better looking, form?

Dra--- likes this.
  8. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

He won't look younger. They'll make him look old.

9. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Is that fact? I doubt it :)

Because it will still be an old Ewan, not an old Alec, and then watch the **** hit the fan

kainee likes this.
  10. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I have no trouble with Ewan playing the Force ghost. In some ways, he's more Obi-Wan to me than Alec Guinness. I know this may be sacrilege to some, but that's the way I see it hah.
    They'll probably put on make up and make him look as close to Guinness as possible, and he'll probably do his best to emulate the "older voice" and there you have it.

kainee, Dra---, agentkrycek and 3 others like this.
  11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    My first reaction was, 'this is going to be one big class reunion,' but I guess it does make sense. I can live with it.

Also, I seem to recall something in the early drafts of ROTJ (or it might even have been for a sequel trilogy) about a Netherworld battle. There was supposed to be one in the physical world involving Luke and Vader and then one in the Netherworld featuring Obi-Wan. Am I remembering that correctly? I think it might have been mentioned in the Annotated Screenplays.

12. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yep, there was supposed to be something like that. It makes perfect sense to have Obi-Wan and possibly Yoda appear again as Force ghosts.
    I'm also confident that they won't overuse it.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    One of the reasons they cast Ewan is because he looked enough like a young Alec for it to work. They can age him up enough to look a lot like old Alec.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I guess they are going to have to make Ewan look really old. I get it though, with the OT cast coming back, you have to have Obi Wan legacy there.

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Only as old as Alec Guinness was when he played Obi-Wan.

16. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    I wonder how the EU hardcores feel about this? Obi-Wan was tossed out at the very beginning of the EU...

Dra--- likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    EU was pretty much tossed out at the very beginning of ST production/speculation, more or less.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Could be done I suppose, but I would have to ask why?
    Are force ghosts stuck in the first image they appear as?
    A difference in appearance can be easily and very quickly explained.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, without going too much into any in-universe speculative theories I'd just say it makes sense to make him look older because that's how Luke knows him. There is little reason for him to appear as, say, a young padawan or as he was during the Clone Wars if he's already appeared to Luke in his older image and, again, that's how Luke knows him.
    You could also say that their appearance stays the same as it was at the moment of their becoming one with the Force - but then we have that whole Hayden in ROTJ mess that kind of debunks that, so I'll just go with the above mentioned theory :p

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I dont know why they dont use Makeup techniques to recreate Alec's look on Ewan.
    When Obi Wan comes back, than hopefully in his old shape...

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see him being mentioned several times, and in flashbacks.

22. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    The Hellhammer: Indeed that is how Luke knows him, but the new guys won't have a pre-death image of Obi, hence no need to age him up unless he's talking to Luke. But even then, if I was the ghost I would keep my old man image at the beginning for Luke, but once the job is done (end of RotJ) why not revert back to the image of your prime ala Anakin ghost? ;)

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Makes sense to a certain extent, but I think having him switch back and forth his appearance depending on who he's talking to would be a needless complication and raise more questions than it would answer. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    ehm, im totally forgot how cute Naomi Watts is... [face_love]

25. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    He can appear young (as Ewan) and then just tell Luke that he is appearing as a different point of view ;) .