main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Obi-Wan in Episode VII - Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Please stop speaking for other people.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Let's lighten things up a bit folks. Sometimes we get a tad serious here about our SW. Yes, me too.

Personally, having grown up with the OT, I was never a fan of SS. His voice, his cracked egghead dome, he just never seemed like Anakin or Vader to me. I wasn't the biggest fan of the PT Anakin until ROTS, so I was somewhat pleased with the change to ROTJ. I'm even for reshooting the Vader death scene with Hayden.

But Immortiss has a great point. Disney should release an edition that makes all the fans happy. I think it would be a big seller.

Back to Obi-Wan: it all depends on what the writers have in store for Obi. If he's only a hologram or momentary force ghost, the Alec CGI stuff might be ok. But if they have bigger plans, like Obi taking part in the action to any extent, then only Ewan makes sense. Sure, gray his hair if you like, give him a wrinkle. I'm not sure why a ghost needs those things, but if the visual consistency of Obi-Wan is important to the creators, they can certainly do it.

Personally, I'd like to see Obi back in action. That means a youngish/ROTS Obi might be best. More believable for combat. We can't have too many old farts leaping around.

Edit: It's sort of weird that the best version of Anakin is TCW version.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the implication is that one can't speak for everyone and that one should not assume a view is shared by all. I'm surprised that needs explaining given that this particular debate is centred around Lucas' right to change the movies as HE sees fit.

4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed...

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    The Only way that Obi-Wan should return is as a Force Ghost anything else would just be ridiculous. Unles someone like Ahsoka Tano is sharing a story with Luke about his father, Ben And Her in the Clone Wars! Then Actual Ewan McGregor from Episode II or III would be just fine.

[face_thinking]

6. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    And now Disney will change the movies as IT sees fit!
    And like the Hayden in Episode VI bit, the masses won't care.
    I don't think Obi-Wan should return at all! A CGI aged Ewan to replace Guinness would be just silly! Save Ewan for Epsiode III.5!!!

7. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I think they could use Ewan as a ghost if Luke explains to another character that he had a vision of the past, of young Obi Wan and his father doing whatever, and then a little while later in the film we see young ghost Obi Wan and Luke reacts to him like he recognizes him and isn't confused about who it is in the least. Much like Yoda in ESB, if Mark really believes it the audience will buy it. Some very light explanation in advance to explain that Luke has seen young Obi Wan before is all the groundwork that's needed.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say the laziest explanation would be this: Just say Force ghosts appear to the person the way that person would like to see him. Luke is used to old!obi so he sees old!Obi, but lets say the new hero looked up vids of Obiwan from the Clone wars so the force ghost would appear to look like the prequels version cause thats what the new hero expects to see. IDK.....I'm not expecting much logic from the ways of force ghosts and there's a pretty good chance that Luke wont be the only person talking to force ghosts

9. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Ok Khaleesi, I mean my moon and stars, I mean Darth Claire :)

I think you have hit on one of a couple of possibilities.

I think it is either that force ghosts appear as they want to be seen (remember that it was Obi-wan who said the whole "I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine") or I think that your ghost logic will bear out.

I mean if you were a ghost and could appear in any form, would you choose a dusty old dead dude or a younger dashing version of yourself?

kainee, Dra--- and Darth Claire like this.
  10. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think that's a very good explanation. I'm sold on it but I also agree that Luke should always see old Ben cause that who he made an attachment too.

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    What if there are no Force Ghosts? Luke can't make contact. In the middle of EPISODE VII he is battling the bad guy and he takes one for the team thinking he'll be able to help his Jedi Knights from the other side. However, after he's struck down his body does not disappear, the implication is that he was unable to be ONE with the FORCE. The Dark Side is applying a force choke on the Force.[face_worried]

12. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Generally, I agree with you. But did it ever occur to anyone that Lucas made the changes so he could extend the life of the copyright?

On the Shaw topic...I don't really care either way (Sebastien or Hayden?), but I have wondered since day one why Shaw's force ghost appears old but wears Jedi robes.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    There may be some legal imperative for the re-releases I'm sure...

Re. Obi-Wan's force ghost... One thing I was always a bit confused about was that I thought the brown robes of the Jedi were only defined as Jedi robes specifically during pre production on TPM. I always thought that Obi's robes were simple Tatooine attire (prior to TPM)... so I was always a bit perplexed as to why Anakin's ghost would be wearing the exact same robes when inhabitants of Tatooine seemed to where variations. I always thought that did'nt make sense in the OOT ROTJ... And again in the restored version we have Hayden composited into the same robes he never wore...

Immortiss likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

=D= I've been saying that for months

Here's where my theory differs. Luke saw old man Obi throughout the OT because that's familiar to him. In the ST with some subtle, short explanation, I see no reason whatsoever why ghost Obi can't take the form he prefers. (especially as it appears Anakin can do that)

Darth Archimage, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    So, in theory Obi-Wan can appear as a hot twi'lek female ghost? :p

16. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Only if she wears Jedi robes

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why, yes, yes of course.
    [​IMG]

18. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
  19. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    It's images like this I wish I could unsee.

20. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Everyone has their interpretation of things, but the only interpretation that matters is that of the artist, at least moving forward.

In other words, one may not like, for example, Hayden added tot the ghost scene in ROTJ, and might find the "explanation" as weak, but at the end of the day, its not up to us to agree or disagree with it. Our role as the audience is to enjoy it, or not. If you don not like that addition, it may have violated YOUR vision of things, but not that of GL.

To say that the vision of Star Wars belongs to anyone who paid to see it is simply not the case. Sure, we all have our own vision of things. Hope, wants, expectations....... But at the end of the day THE vision of Star Wars belongs to GL, and now those involved in telling the story at LFL and Disney (Whether they stay true to GL's vision remains to be seen.).

If the vision of Star Wars was that of the audience, we would have a say in what happens. We don't. And I'm glad we don't.

Star Wars is not a democracy!

kainee likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    So how about that Obi-Wan Kenobi as a Benjamin Button type character in death? OT- old ghost. ST- young ghost. Maybe he will be a baby ghost by the FT.

LunarMoth and StoneRiver like this.
  22. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

A baby ghost?
    [​IMG]

23. CommanderKnobi1

CommanderKnobi1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2013
    He gave an interview for MTV here http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1701934/ewan-mcgregor-star-wars.jhtml

FRAGWAGON and Immortiss like this.
  24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, Obi-Wan was always friendly.

Dra--- and StoneRiver like this.
  25. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    CK1- Thanks for the tip... I will check it out. :)