main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Obi-Wan in Episode VII - Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And very shortly after RoTS at that- first year or so- given that he's not yet properly in contact with Qui-Gon.

It's probably just before the scene in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, where he sees suited-Vader for the first time in a Holonet report.

2. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Agreeable today :p

And I meant that since Alec Ginness has passed out, the only option is to go with the younger version...not much you can do.

And the first person that says to me "digital" - I am going to point them directly to the "E7 is being filmed on 35MM film" thread.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Special effects can be applied to something shot on film as well, strangely enough.

Darth Chiznuk and Ganger like this.
  4. 3PO

Nov 5, 2003

I meant it in the fact that if he is going so far as to film on actual 35mm film, he isn't going to spruce it up with unrealistic digital effects like a walking Alec Ginness...

5. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004

I think you're underestimating things here. 35mm does NOT equal no "unrealistic digital effects." They aren't married whatsoever.

6. 3PO

Nov 5, 2003

If you follow logic correctly it should...

If he wants the movies to go back to their old feel and look, throwing in cgi humans isn't going to work.

7. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004

The more you talk, the less I think you actually know about logic yourself. Choosing film over digital is like choosing what plate you're going to put your dinner on. It really has nothing to do with the food itself. Abrams choosing 35mm really doesn't have anything to do with the content of the film, or what sorts of effects he is going to use.

Don't link the two ideas. They are completely separate.

8. 3PO

Nov 5, 2003

That is why he is just so happening to use the exact same film the OT used and then making a point to announce it publicly.

Nope, he doesn't want to use it for thematic effect at all :p

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

He didn't make a point of announcing it publicly. It was a passing mention by the cinematographer when he confirmed he was on board.

What will happen, as what happened with Star Trek Into Darkness (Also filmed on 35mm), is that it will be scanned into a computer for post-production work.

10. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004

"Thematic effect?" What in the world are you even talking about, at this point?

And do you honestly expect them to use *only* the tools used during the making of the OT to make this film? No. Small connections like what you've pointed out are done for publicity, to let people know that this ST is indeed going to harken back to the OT, but I assure you that they're going to use modern tools to tell the story. I hardly think they'll be getting out their razors and tape to cut the film together, they'll be using non-linear editors and thus will be going modern throughout the rest of the production. As they should.

Oh, I hope they go old school, don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of CGI overuse. I'm just pointing out that your math is a little off, and you need to think a bit more before making these blanket statements that do not, in any way, effect one another.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd be surprised if McGregor would be willing to reprise the role simply for what would amount to a cameo. I think the only reason he'd get out of bed for Ep VII is if it were attached to an Obi-Wan spin off. So if we hear of an Obi-Wan spin off, expect him in the ST.

12. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I don't know why he shouldn't reprise his role in the ST without a spin-off (don't take me wrong I would love to see an Obi- spin-off). From what I read of him in various interviews, he would be back, if asked.

13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think that given his enthusiasm when asked about the new films and his team work focus as an actor, he would definitely be up for a cameo. He's not a diva at all.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I base it on nothing other than an assumption of what usually motivates actors in these situations. McGregor is a busy actor and not a cheap one at that. I suppose it's really down to the part. If it's substantial, McGregor will be interested I'm sure... and if it's substantial Kennedy will be willing to sign a big cheque to get him back. If it's merely a cameo, I'm just not convinced that Ewan would be that moved to return or Kennedy to pay him a big sum for 2 minutes. I'm assuming Ewan never originally signed on for 6 movies when the prequels were made, so I'm assuming they'd have to negotiate big time to get him back (someone can probably confirm his original contract I'm sure).

15. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    You assume too much :p

Cameos are not necessarily proportional when talking about time/money issues, compared to major roles in films. Besides, we're talking about Disney and Star Wars, if Obi Wan needs to be there in order to serve the story, there will be no obstacles in getting Ewan. Besides, as I said before, I'm sure he'd be glad to do a cameo. It would be a day's work for posterity and he has already said effervescently how thrilled he'd be to be a part of this new trilogy. He's not the kind of guy that would turn it down because of little screen time. It's Obi Wan Kenobi, I'm sure he'll be a team player if necessary.

Darth PJ likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Obi-Wan didn't die because George Lucas discovers time travel in the next 5 years and goes back in time to save Obi-Wan from Vader with his usage of special effects, so then when Obi-Wan is talking to Luke for the rest of the trilogy, it's just Lucas using CGI with Obi-Wan's voice? Then Lucas goes back to 1975 with Obi-Wan in tow and tells young Lucas the whole tale, but because Lucas is so old and forgetful, he accidently leaves things out, so he has to keep going back to certain years to clarify with Other Lucas about his story?

Darth Raiden likes this.
  17. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Correct. Both Trek films had CGI and were shot on film. This is still a practice today, despite the push towards digital. If Lucas had full control, then it'd be shot digitally. But he's not and so it will not be. The next director might choose to shoot digitally.

He's not making twenty million a picture. And some actors do films because they want to. Ford said he would do it. Those that cite schedule are often just playing hardball. Sometimes it is about scheduling conflicts, but nothing that couldn't be worked around.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I guess if he's in it for 5 mins then you'll be proven right... But my money is still on Ewan not coming back unless there is a spin off attached.

Well of course... but it depends on 'if' the actor wants to...

20. darthwannobi

darthwannobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2013
    Ewan said in an interview that he'd be up for being in the new film and they could bring him in as a force ghost.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm sure he would say that... ;)

22. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    His accountant and agent would also love the idea.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Obi-Wan as a force ghost is going to come back as a pervert and spy on the Solo and Skywalker kids.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i was reading a star wars legacy comic where Cade and Luke were talking and Luke changed his appearances from being the Grand Master to how he was in a New hope to how he looked in Return of the Jedi so it seems the Jedi Spirits do have the ability to change their appearance so it's just a possiblity that they could use that kind of knowledge to just have Ewan play Obi-Wan at that part of his life.

25. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    If Obi-Wan is to make an appearnance they will make every effort to make him look like Alec Guinness.

Whether they use CG or make-up effects on Ewan.

He could also be entirely CG.