main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Obi-Wan in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Downunder, May 4, 2014.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That line isn't a strong implication & doesn't require a stretch at all. It's just that you've become so used to interpreting it that way. Mind you I'd agree that it would be a strange thing to say if they'd met just 5 years earlier in Rebels. However if Vader & Obi-Wan crossed paths just a few years after RotS, & then they hadn't seen each other in 15 years it would be a completely reasonable thing for Vader to say. It's Vader bragging about all of his development in the past 15 years.

I agree that it would be silly for them to meet during Rebels though. An encounter only 5 years before ANH wouldn't match up with that dialogue.

AshiusX likes this.
  2. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Hmmm not necessarily. Owen would have been told by Obi-Wan about Anakin's fall to the dark side (whether Obi-Wan thought he was dead or still alive makes no difference) and the twins were split up to keep them safe from Palpatine. I just put it down to a typical parent/guardian being gruff and warning the kid off something that they know might put them closer to that original danger... maybe?

3. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I'm with those who say that Vader and Obi-wan shouldn't meet during Rebels. The obvious dialogue from Vader is not the only reason why but another one being the fact that the last time Obi-wan saw Vader, his entire body was on fire. As far as Obi-wan was concerned, Vader was going to die a fiery death and there was no way that Obi-wan would've known that Vader survived or that the Emperor rescued him and placed him into the infamous black suit, helmet, and cape. Plus, the look of shock on Obi-wan's face when he sees Vader standing in the death star hallway in ANH indicates that he hasn't seen his former apprentice for many years. TCW may get away with the numerous Anakin/Dooku duels but Rebels cannot ever have Vader and Obi-wan cross paths before ANH.

Marco1907 likes this.
  4. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    He finds out about Vader's survival in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, set many years before Rebels.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Unfortunately that isn't canon anymore until said otherwise.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Unfortunately, we don't really know much about Owen. What we do know is that he's a farmer like his father and what do farmers do -- they wake up early, work all day, eat dinner, go to bed early and start all over again the next day. So I think anything Owen knows is maybe what he's heard from Beru? Listening to the radio while farming? From other farmers when he goes into Mos Eisley for equipment/tools? So I don't know what he knows directly about Anakin, if anything. I don't know if Obi-wan shared any information other than, "His parents died; please take care of him."

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Agree, especially this dialogues killing the Vader vs. Obi-Wan duels idea ;

-''I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...''

-''I have been waiting for you Obi-Wan, we meet again at last. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master''...

Also in TCW, they really cared about Anakin and Grievous meeting (they didn't met) since they had a dialogue like this in the movie ;

- ''Anakin Skywalker. I was expecting someone with your reputation to be a little... older.''
    - ''General Grievous. You're shorter than I expected...''

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. KeithyT

Apr 17, 2014
    I think it's implied in the PT, by having Anakin revisit Tatooine to rescue Shmi, and then that final scene (also Yoda saying take Luke to "his family") that Owen does know a fair bit about Anakin.

Beru also says to him in Star Wars (A New Hope) "he's got too much of his father in him" he replies "that's what I'm afraid of"...

9. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Not....accepting... THAT!!

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was a thread for this a while back:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/so-what-did-obi-wan-tell-owen-lars.50017439/#post-51229020

KeithyT likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I definitely don't want to side track this thread on what Owen does and doesn't know. I do think it would be interesting, if the Rebellion does find its way to Tatooine, to see not only Obi-wan get involved in a small way, but to see how it impacts Owen/Beru if at all. Also, I wonder if the crew of the Ghost goes to Tatooine because Kanan is able to sense the Force there.

Trebor Sabreon, Iron_lord and KeithyT like this.
  12. KeithyT

Apr 17, 2014
    Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Doesn't surprise me

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm apprehensive about when Filoni has mentioned that they've really looked for clues regarding this time period in ANH and that there are apparently quite a few that you have to really be paying attention to find (according to Filoni), and I don't understand what he is actually talking about. The only real references I can think of are that Vader helped the Empire hunt down the Jedi knights and the opening crawl mentioning that the Rebel Alliance had just won its first victory before ANH. I'm worried that they are going to find a line like:

Vader: You should not have come back.

and misconstrue that to say "See! There was evidence that Obi-Wan and Vader fought in between movies!"

I mean, if they can have Dooku and Anakin fight like 4 times, if not more in TCW despite the dialogue when they meet again in ROTS, it's no more difficult to have Vader and Obi-Wan fight a bunch in Rebels.

Now, I'm not saying they should fight. I'd rather Obi-Wan stay out of Rebels entirely, but I could see them exploiting the same kind of flimsy dialogue to justify the two meeting and fighting.

"My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count" - Anakin, ROTS

But the crew could play the card that Anakin doesn't specify WHEN the last time they met, and TCW exploited this.

"We meet again, at last" - Vader, ANH

Similarly, this doesn't specify when the last time they met was, only that Vader had been waiting. Could have been the full 19 years, or could have been two years.

I think there's perfect continuity between ROTS and ANH, despite the 19 year gap. It isn't explicitly mentioned in ROTS, but I felt the HEAVY implication is that Obi-Wan and Yoda are still kind of clinging to the Chosen One prophecy. That Anakin may have fallen to the Dark Side, but Luke and Leia are expected to have the same potential and only they have the potential to stop the Emperor.

Vader was believed dead, so he was no longer a factor (in the minds of Obi-Wan and Yoda), and yet rather than Obi-Wan and Yoda going to confront the Emperor again immediately to try and finish the job, they go into hiding, allowing Palpatine time to rebound and take on a new apprentice (really the same apprentice, but again, the Jedi thought Vader was dead).

Yoda goes and sits on Dagobah for 19 years and Obi-Wan watches over Luke on Tatooine. I don't think he ever left, and part of me thinks that he would not appreciate Kanan or the Rebels showing up on Tatooine, since it draws unnecessary attention to where they are hiding Luke. I could see Obi-Wan actually kind of keeping his identity secret from Kanan and pretty much wanting to send him on his way. They obviously don't think an ordinary Jedi can take on the Empire, or else the two of them would have tried. And one of my complaints from ESB, which would now make sense in light of this line of thought was that Yoda does not acknowledge the Rebellion. He spends all of his time training Luke to take on Vader and the Emperor and doesn't seem to place any value in all of his non-Jedi friends. The only time they ever really get brought up is when Yoda tells Luke that he must be ready to sacrifice Han and Leia (the other Skywalker child, no less) if he honors what they fight for, and instead should remain on Dagobah to complete his training.

I'm wondering if Obi-Wan would have any faith in Kanan's chances, or that of the Rebellion. And I actually retract what I said about Obi-Wan and Bail keeping in contact, because what would be the point? Obi-Wan is playing guardian to Luke, aims to train Luke as a Jedi. Why have any contact with Bail, when that only jeopardizes Bail and Obi-Wan/Luke?

This is why I have no problem with the notion that Obi-Wan was unaware that Vader survived. He didn't know at the end of ROTS. He then went into hiding on some backwater planet beyond the Empire's reach at the time of ROTS. And in discussing Rebels, Filoni has pretty much advocated the idea that Vader and Palpatine are like the top tier individuals of the Empire that would not get involved with the Rebels when they are still small time. That the threat they pose is initially beneath them, and instead they leave it to imperial officers and eventually the Inquisitor. Yet, what other threats ARE there that are worthy of Vader's attention during this time, if not the Rebels? What is he doing? I can't imagine he's getting show cased in feature stories that Obi-Wan is going to walk into a cantina and see being broadcasted. He would probably be a very secretive figure, and if the Rebels and Inquisitor (in pursuit) ever did make it to Tatooine, Obi-Wan might think that the Inquisitor is the new apprentice.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Recent EU has tended to portray Vader as a very public figure - the face of the Empire, so to speak, as head of its military, and general suppressor of threats:

In the Dark Times 6: Fire Carrier comic, there's this Holonet broadcast, a few months, maybe a year or so, after Revenge of the Sith:

Our Empire may yet be young, but it is strong! While Emperor Palpatine rules from Coruscant, our valiant clone army continues to keep us safe from the galaxy's many threats! And leading our military is the Emperor's hand-picked second in command -- Lord Vader!

Forged in the deadliest battles of the Clone Wars, Vader single-handedly defended our strategic AT-AT bases on Ovation Seven … quelled the uprising of the mighty Wookiee warriors of Kashyyyk … and thwarted the murderous plot of General Gentis that left thousands dead on Galactic Center!

From Bandomeer to the Ghost Nebula, wherever a threat arises, Lord Vader is there to meet it … to crush it! Wherever your travels in the galaxy take you, the forces of the Empire are there, keeping you safe and secure!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know whether the EU will hold to that image of him, but I would have regarded him more as an Ernst Rohm kind of figure, at least pre-ESB. In ESB he's definitely the head of the military, and the Empire needs kind of a bogey man to keep as many systems in line, since the Death Star is no longer there to serve that purpose. So there's still the extravagance of the Executor and this supreme commander of the military that looks like a cyborg.

Pre-ESB, as he's depicted in ANH at least, I figured he's be more like Rohm. The guy that pretty much intimidates/kills Palpatine's opponents, but that does it more in secret. Like knocking on Fang Zhar's door in the middle of the night and then dragging him away kicking and screaming to be tortured and killed. Palpatine's enforcer, not a supreme military commander. The guy who is hunting down the stolen Rebel plans, but covers his tracks every step of the way such that ideally nobody would know that he or his men were behind it (like framing sand people for the attack on the Sandcrawler, and destroying Leia's ship to cover up any evidence that she had been taken prisoner).

I mean the way Leia flagrantly insults him likening him to a dog whose leash is being held by Tarkin, conveys the idea to me that he's more of an enforcer that does his superiors' dirty work. Not some respected governor, admiral, military leader, etc.

I think pre-ESB (or at least pre-Battle of Yavin) the Emperor has more use of a secret enforcer that can dispatch his opponents effectively, without drawing negative attention to the regime. While post-Battle of Yavin, Palpatine has a greater incentive to shove this guy front and center to keep Imperial citizens terrified. That no longer is Vader just taking out disgruntled politicians or breathing down the necks of moffs and admirals to see to it that Palpatine's will is carried out, but now he's there to terrorize the entire galactic population, and pose the threat that Vader might bring the Executor to your door step, should you even think about throwing in with the Rebels.

I have no doubt that Vader is supreme leader of the military in ESB and ROTJ, but throughout ANH, there is just a different way that people talk to him, or even downright disrespect him that doesn't make me think that he's superior to people like Motti in any way, just merely a peer. That Motti wouldn't dare insult Palpatine to his face, but Vader is just the Emperor's representative.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Could have been that Vader got sidelined after a short period in the limelight.

Not sure how Rebels will handle Vader - might be that ANH will turn out be the exception rather than the rule in its depiction - we'll have to wait and see.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The only way for Obi One to work is on Tatooine anywhere else does. So what I see happening is the ghost crew visits good old Tatoine and meet old Obi One and they have a conversation and then he says he cant go with them the end.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I could see Obi-Wan playing to Kanan, kind of like Yoda did to Luke. Maybe not so eccentric, but keeping his identity as a Jedi a secret. Kanan may have only been a young padawan when Order 66 was issued, he may not have been familiar with Obi-Wan, or he might know the name, but not the face. So, when "Ben" shows up and helps them out, should they ever cross paths on Tatooine, saying that he's Obi-Wan Kenobi, the general of The Clone Wars, would just unnecessarily lead to a lot of questions from Kanan and the Ghost's crew, if Obi-Wan has no intention of going with them.

Instead, he might offer them shelter from Imperial patrols or offer them guidance or something like that, but I think maybe it will be one of those things where we the audience know it's Obi-Wan, but to Kanan and the rest he is merely "Ben" a hermit on Tatooine that helped them out.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Nice compilation lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    To me, this is how Vader will be drawn into Rebels. He'll discover this misfit of rebels potentially know the location of Obi-Wan and maybe Yoda. These two are probably the most wanted individuals within the Empire.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I'm inclined to agree. I hope we get to see Obi-wan in Rebels at some point, but I think that it would take a lot to get him to go off world and even then, he likely won't want to go far, so that's not happening, So any Obi-wan stories would have to be set on Tattooine, which also means possible young Luke cameos.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm just gonna hope that picture is fake/report is wrong...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone else really excited to see all the OT characters get the animated treatment?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Cautiously so, yes.

Revanfan1 likes this.