main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan in the Cantina...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by finster_the_hutt, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finster_the_hutt

finster_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2003
    Could be a thread on this elsewhere, but here I go...
    In ANH when Obi-Wan is at the bar in the cantina we briefly see him speaking to Boshek. I used to always assume he was asking about Chewie, or possibly the whereabouts of a good pilot. I was breezing through my old CCG cards and Boshek's card said something about leaving his fringe lifestyle behind after an encounter with Obi-Wan. Now their brief chat makes a hell of a lot more sense and it wouldn't be the first time ol Obi-Wan has used his influence over low lifes in bars. Nothing too bold of a connection, but definitely a nice subtle connection from E4 in E2.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    You will go home and rethink your life.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Check out his story in "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" available in paperback at fine booksellers everywhere... :)

It has a good story on Boshek, as well as the rest of the denziens of that crazy cantina in a GFFA.

Indy

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    According to the ANH Radio Drama, Obi-Wan is inquiring about a ship-for-hire. The pilot tells him he's already booked and recommends the Millennium Falcon, then calls over Chewie and leaves. (As for the scene in the movie, it's hard for me to see that as anything but the pilot recommending Chewie to Obi-Wan.)

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    This is one of the few stories I don't really know anything about. :(

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think the reason why Lucas put the BoShek scene in the movie was to make it more realistic. It would have been harder to believe if Ben walking into a large cantina and the first person Obi-Wan happens to talk with is the pilot willing to take him off planet. Lucas could of had Ben walk into the cantina and walk right up to Chewie. But Lucas was smarter than that.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Could someone refresh my memory on who Boshek is? I remember reading about him in the Tales book, but nothing specific.

It does make the scene more realistic, if he had to inquire about a pilot instead of finding one right off the bat.

8. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    He's the greasy haired guy wearing a flight suit in the cantina. He's briefly seen talking to Obi Wan. According the the ANH radio drama he was a Corrillean. Tales from the Cantina and the Radio Drama contradict one another.

I'll quote BibFortuna Twi-Lek before he gets a chance to post it:

[bib]When two different sources say two different things assume that they both are correct.[/bib]

9. Obi-Klein

Obi-Klein Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2004
  10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Their conversation was longer than the movie implies. Remember, Luke spends a lot of time looking around at all of the aliens in the cantina, which is enough time for them to have a nice long talk. Here is what they say:

Obi-Wan: May the Force be with you, my friend.
    BoShek: I--uh--thanks. How did you know...?
    Obi-Wan: Your struggles are as plain as words for someone who is trained to see them. I could teach you much, but I fear my time here is short. I need passage off the planet. However, since I believe you have a ship, perhaps we could further both of our quests at once.
    BoShek: I wish I did have a ship. But I'm just a pilot.
    Obi-Wan: Ah, that's a pity. Perhaps when I return we can discuss the Force anyway.
    BoShek: Yeah, maybe we can. I do know someone with a ship who might be willing to take on passengers, though.
    Obi-Wan: I see, thank you. I'll leave you with one piece of advice: Beware the dark side. Your role here on the edge of society has put you in a very ambiguous position, one that you must resolve before you can continue in your journey. Only the pure of heart can ever hope to wield the Force's power with any success.
    BoShek: Thanks, I think.
    Obi-Wan: You're welcome.

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Ok, where did you get that discussion from?

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ... and are you implying that guy was supposed to be Force sensitive?

13. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Out of curiosity BibForutna, what source are you getting that from?

I own the ANH radio drama. I don't remember that conversation having taken place verbatum. If I remember correctly Obi Wan simply asked if his ship was available for hire. It wasn't, so the space adventurer directed Obi Wan to Chewbacca. I'll dig it up later and post what the radio drama says about it. Perhaps Obi Wan was speaking to a different pilot; perhaps it can't be known for sure. Still, I would like to know your source.

I really like the EU and I feel that the minor inconsistencies (espically concerning the much earlier sources) are part of what makes it fascinating. I'm not trying to start a cannon debate I'm just interested in the minutea of the Star Wars Universe. :D

14. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Ok, where did you get that discussion from?

The aforementioned Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

and are you implying that guy was supposed to be Force sensitive?

I guess it does....

15. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Bib is right. It was from Tales from the Mos Eisely Cantina. But I wonder why BoShek is spelled with a capital "S" in his name. Humans spell their first names with only one capital letter. It could have been Boshek or Bo Shek. But it's BoShek. I have two capital letters in my last name but not in my first. Maybe that's his last name. But we don't know BoShek's full name. Go figure.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It's from Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina.

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    And it was definitely possible that he was Force sensitive. Obi-Wan might have sensed potential. Or, he could have been messing with his mind.

18. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps his parents made a typo on his birth certificate giving him the two capitals?

Obi-Wan would never mess with someones mind JMO!

19. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Sure he would. ;)

Ever heard of stormtroopers?

20. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Ever heard of stormtroopers?

Ya, well that doesn't count as much of a mind to mess with anyways....lol

21. finster_the_hutt

finster_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2003
    Geez, I didn't think there'd be this much debate. Ah well, I guess it proved interesting to more than myself.

22. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I guess I need to read that book as well.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Obi messes with his own mind too. Alcoholism will do that to you.

24. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Stormies? I was thinking more along the lines of Skywalker, but they will do.

25. Adm_Constantine

Adm_Constantine Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2004
    ... and are you implying that guy was supposed to be Force sensitive?

BoShek's story does leave the reader with the impression that he has a VERY weak connection to the Force. Better than your average Joe, but nothing a Jedi would be impressed with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.