Obi-Wan is Obi-Wan ... McGregor turning into a Guiness..?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Adali-Kiri, Apr 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maceo_Windu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Apologies to any British guys offended by my my reference of snobbery, no harm intended. I was only trying to point out that a lot af British actors look at American films with a sort of disdain. But I still think Ewan's gonna make an excellant Obi-Wan.
  2. Dionysus Jedi Master

star 1
    Oh, I see how it is. You only apologize to the guys! Don't give a thought to the LADIES, huh? HUH?

:p
  3. jedi979 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Let me start off by saying that I am by no means a huge Ewan McGregor fan. I've seen one or two of his movies, and he's certainly a decent actor, but that's about as far as my opinion of him goes. In regards to the negative comments he's been making as of late, I suppose they could be attributed to several factors:

1. The way-out-there fan base. Let's admit it: while most of us, SW addicts that we are, have a firm grasp on reality, there are those out there who do not - they are the ones that have probably got McGregor feeling hemmed in, and exasperation is a perfectly normal and natural reaction to that. If I had to put up with people walking up to me on the street and saying "May the Force be with you," I'd probably feel like telling them, in no uncertain terms, to GET A LIFE! Maybe even decking them, if I was in a bad enough mood at the time.

2. Typecasting. I think despite the fact McGregor is a self-admitted Star Wars "fan," the whole experience of playing Obi-Wan Kenobi (who, by the way, really does take a back seat to Anakin in these movies) has been a little more aggravating than he anticipated. It's going to take a while for him to put this whole thing behind him in terms of how he is perceived as an actor. Maybe he's worried, too, that his image is being compromised - that he won't be taken as seriously after his role in SW.

3. Stress. No, really. It's like everyone's hopes for the future are riding on this movie. GL gives it a title not everyone is crazy about, and some jerk gets together a PETITION to have the name changed! No doubt McGregor is feeling a little exploited, like he's nothing but a glorified extra in his own film. Just another special effect. Because face it: HE'S the one who has to sit in a stationary plywood spaceship amidst a sea of bluescreen, not us. I think he's just reached the point where, for the moment anyway, he's just had enough of Star Wars. Period. And if he has to vent by shooting his mouth off and bashing his own movie, well... nobody's perfect.

Bottom line: Episode II will be great, we'll all love it, and maybe by the time it's released Mr. McGregor - or should I say Obi-Wan - will, too.
  4. Maceo_Windu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hehe Dionysus....ok to any British people. Dag i didn't realize yall were so deep in here...that's cool.

Anyway, for all u people who think Ewan's comments and attitude off base, they pale compared to what Guinness had to say about his SW experience.
    IMDB.com/guinness
    Scroll down to Personal Quotes

Even after he says all that, everybody still enjoys his Obi-Wan performance in the OT. And I believe the same will apply to McGreagor.
  5. trippinjedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ewan McGregor is a brilliant actor! If you have not seen 'Eye of the Beholder' than log off right now and go buy it! Or do what I did and buy it online without missing a minute of the action here at the boards! What a great movie. I can't think of anyone better than Ewan to follow in Sir Alec's footsteps. Am I the only one who has multiple windows open now with a different thread in each one so you can cover more forums at once?
  6. naw ibo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just to straighten out a common misconception:

""Eye of the Beholder", "Mulon Rouge" wouldn't happen for him without TPM. "

Yes, they would have because although they came out after TPM, the process for being cast in them started before.

Eye of the Beholder was already in the works by the time TPM started filming.

He was cast in Moulin Rouge in large part due to an audition he had done in 1995(this is even pre-Trainspotting fame). Baz was very struck with him although the part he auditioned for, Mercutio, went to someone else. Baz knew he wanted to work with him and when he started casting for Moulin Rouge Ewan was definitely already in his mind.
  7. Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan

star 4
    naw ibo is right.

Plus if you were casting for Moulin Rouge would you say to yourself, "Gee, why don't I see that Star Wars film to see if there's anyone in there who'd be good as a starving, lovestruck English playwrite in late 19th Century France."
  8. naw ibo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And just in case anyone thinks I'm making it up ;) :

"I was only looking for the right person for the job," Luhrmann said. "I knew Ewan because I almost cast him as Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet. This was before he did Trainspotting and I thought, this guy is a true star[....] He really is a romantic hero of the old school. He can look at that camera and you go 'I believe him. I look into his soul and I believe him.' He captured the essence of his character Christian. He went from youthful idealism to scarred man."
  9. Darth_Em Jedi Youngling

star 1
    McGregor is always saying positive things about Star Wars. He seems to like the films once they're made, has a great deal of respect for George Lucas and thinks there's nothing cooler than being a Jedi Knight. Broadly speaking, he likes Star Wars. He just doesn't like every single thing about them.

He doesn't like acting to blue screen. Never has, never will. And he says so. He doesn't like some of the more extreme fans (like the one who threw a glass at him in a pub because he wouldn't step outside for a lightsaber fight - injuring a bystander). He's said he's happy to talk to kids about it though, unlike Guinness.

Most of his 'negative' quotes have been about the process of filming, not about the films or the people involved. He's defended Lucas in the past. That 'terrible, terrible title' comment came when he'd just had it sprung on him by a sneering reporter and before he'd even had a chance to read the press release about it's homage to Star Wars' B-movie origins.

Sometimes Ewan lets himself get drawn into negative comment. Reporters like to lead him down that road because he's blunt and is almost always good for a controvertial quote, something journos just loooove to beat up. Just like that script comment.

Ewan: The script for Episode II is much better.

Reporter: (smelling an oportunity for controversy and general headline-grabbing Star Wars bagging) Does that mean you didn't like the script for TPM?

Ewan: (realising belatedly he's just dug himself into a hole) Well, it could have been better... could have been a lot better.

Ewan is going to be doing press for Moulin Rouge when it opens in Europe soon. No doubt people will take the opportunity to ask him about Episode II, even though he's supposed to be promoting another movie that is probably closer to his heart than Star Wars. Of course, even if he says lots of nice things about Ep II, the only comments that will make the headlines or will be discussed extensively on these boards will be any negative ones.
  10. MountainMan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I heard from some people who've seen the clip (I have not as I refuse to put that P.O.S. known as RealPlayer on my system) that McGregor and Kidman looked slightly tipsy. Hey, they were at a Hollywood party so it's possible! The point is, as the previous poster indicated, there were several things working against him: 1) Possible alcohol, 2) Not knowing the reason for the movie title, 3) An over eager reporter digging for a negative reaction, 4) Having something about Star Wars sprung on him totally out of context at an event where he probably wasn't even thinking about Star Wars.

I must say that now I really feel sorry for the guy. From now until the film is released, he is going to have to explain why he made his comment. I can see it now:

Reporter: So you are less than thrilled with the title "Attack of the Clones."

McGregor: Well, when I first heard it I was a bit surprised, but I understand why Lucas chose the title.

Reporter: But you still think it's a "terrible, terrible" title?

McGregor: It's just a title. I mean, "Trainspotting" isn't that great of a title either, now is it?

Reporter: So you don't like the title "Trainspotting"?

McGregor: No, that's not what I'm saying.

Reporter: So what are you saying?

McGregor: I'm saying, why don't you **** off!

While McGregor probably would not tell a reporter to "**** off" I think it should be international law that anybody at any time can tell some cock-suck reporter to "**** off" with no reprecussions what so ever. Maybe the U.N. will make it a charter or something.

As for "Eye of the Beholder" I say rent it. It's a great movie up until literally the last minute. It's almost like the writer built up this great, tension filled plot and then said, "I don't know where else to take this story. Ah heck, let's just end it here." McGregor played a great character, but I was a bit disappointed by the blunt ending. By the way, that movie review comes at no extra charge. It's all part of my 2 cents.
  11. Darth_Em Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think he was drunk Mountain Man. He and Nicole appeared to be laughing and having a good time, but they didn't look drunk.

There was a clip from the same event (Hollywood Film Festival Awards) on another show (can't remember which one exactly) and they were talking about Ben Affleck going into re-hab. They spoke to Ewan on the subject, and he said something like "I used to drink a lot, but not so much anymore. Alcohol has a way of sneaking up on you." He wasn't slurring his words or holding a drink, either, despite it being a "Hollywood party."
  12. MountainMan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I did not imply that he and Kidman were stone drunk but that maybe they had drunk just enough to loosen them up a bit. That's all.
  13. Dionysus Jedi Master

star 1
    Maceo, my man. I was just kidding - sorry if it wasn't very clear.

Now, another good MacGregor film is Shallow Grave. It was made by the same guys who made Trainspotting (another excellent film, IMHO) and it's a top-notch thriller, in my mind. That said, do not see A Life Less Ordinary, which was also made by those same three guys and MacGregor, but was infinitely more ordinary than their earlier collaborations. (Ha! A pun!)

And did you folks see Ewan's latest quote about the Hollywood system? Brilliant quote, in my opinion, and definately something George would have agreed with, I imagine.
  14. naw ibo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great comments! When the comments are put in the proper perspective you can see that they really aren't all that terrible. Especially if put into context of everything else he's said. He's just opinionated and free with those opinions. And good deal of the time, he's spot on.

Like those recent quotes on the system, I too think Lucas would agree with them for the most part. Actually, in some ways I think Lucas and Ewan are alike. They may have different ways of going about it and different personalities, but I think there is are certain goals they have in common. And I believe Ewan does respect Lucas, even if he doesn't necessarily like the process of acting in his films.
  15. Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm warming to Ewan again... :)

I trust that he's decent enough to tell Lucas first what he likes and doesn't like about the movies they're making together, so that George doesn't have to see it in a paper first. Everything I've seen indicates a great relationship between Ewan and Lucas/McCallum.

Another great McGregor piece; Lipstick on your Collar, a mini-series.
  16. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    McGregor was on UKs Radio 1 a few minutes ago saying how he only found about the title from Lucas today (previously accepting the press reports).

From memory...

He started by announcing 'Ataaaaack of the Clooooooones' in that 50's style and how he didn't know how it felt to be staring in a movie called AotC. He then said that its reminiscent (sp?) of Flash Gordon and old comics, which was good because SW itself is a serial.

I can't remember much else, it was only a fleeting chat. If I got stuff wrong, could you post corrections?
  17. Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What did you make of his attitude? Did he seem to be bored and frustrated with it, or did he seem to be in that "having-a-good-time-and-just-making-fun" sort of mood? I'm really very unsure of what to think about this guy...
  18. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Seemed in a good mood, positively promoting/explaining the title rather than being bitter and 'it's good but...'.

I'm surprised that Lucas only told him today though. (Maybe why he's explaining it's origin ala the press release?)
  19. Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, why should Lucas tell all the actors what the title is beforehand? When he decides to announce it, they'll hear it. Can be a bit tough not to be prepared for it, if you think the title truly stinks the big one. But Lucas probably thinks AotC is a killer title, and expects his companions to love it too.

Well, I guess we should give Ewan a break.
    It's just that sometimes he doesn't seem to give us a break.

Now, that was really selfish of me...
  20. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    D'oh!

He said 'they have never told me to this day that that's what it's called' not that he was told today. Although the R1 transcript is a little off, because it doesn't mention comics (which they thought were geeky) and the AotC intro that he made in an echoey voice.

I don't know, Scottish accents... :p
  21. darkmole Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's just his sense of humour. But I like Ewan's frankness. At least you know when he's being honest - and if he said he liked the script, then you know he's telling the truth, and not just hyping the film up for his own career reasons.

However, McGregor is no Guiness. As an actor, he is just not in the same league.
  22. LordIsurus Jedi Master

star 3
    Hehe I just posted about this in the "is Ewan an ass" poll.

Ewan seems to be a word mixer. I dont think he enjoys the whole Hollywood movie business, but I dont associate that with Star Wars at all. This is exactly the kind of **** he is dissing. Every little word he says can and is misconstrude by the press. Imagine you're at some party and you've just finished shooting 2001 and someone says ""hey, did you know the title of the movie is Amazon cubes on Jupiter"?? You may be a bit surprised that a) someone knows the title before me, and I'm the star! b) errr, are you kidding?

I think his outbursts and comments are fun and honest and I really dont think he has dissed Star Wars yet. He has admitted that it's not easy work...but so has Natalie Portman, and she said it was hard too but she enjoyed that a lot. They will reap the rewards, I'm sure. And as to acting status. It's plain to see that George chose actors who have careers that stand on their own. Liam, Ewan and Natalie do not need Star Wars to say how great they are. They're already accomplished actors and have wonderful careers. Hayden...well, he's been on a few Disney shows. His career can only go up, regardless of how SW does. And the same for the rest. Instead of having people who can use SW as a crutch, everyone in these movies knows and understands their role. Anthony Daniels knows he's not going on to do Terminator 3 after his brilliant roles in Ep 2 and 3. Maybe he is...who knows.

Isurus
  23. Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Tony: "Hello, I am C-3PO, human/cyborg relations..."
    Arnie: "I'll be baaack."
    Tony: "Oh, really! How rude!"

[face_laugh]
  24. LordIsurus Jedi Master

star 3
    Nice, how about...

<<sara conners is in her car, with Arnie in the back seat with his sawed off shotgun....in the distance, we see a transport truck engulfed in flames in the dark night...there is no sign of the hunter...but then, suddenly, up in the dark cab of the truck... two flat lights blink...golden rod awakens and resumes the chase...sara floors it, tires squealing as arnie keeps his watch...in the faint distance,a voice can be heard..
    ""I say...could you slow down please, the odds of me catching you are 6 thousand 3 hundred and 20 to 1!""

Arnie :: ""he's right...Sara, slow down...or the movie will be over...""

Sara :: ""alright, alright...but promise me you'll shower! damn you stink bad, Termi!""

Isurus
  25. Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.