Obi-Wan is Obi-Wan ... McGregor turning into a Guiness..?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Adali-Kiri, Apr 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    What a topic. After reading through everything, I'm not sure if I like Ewan or hate him.

Acting does get frustrating. You get a role, you read the script, you get excited. You rehearse over and over. You do the same thing several times. If its a scene with a long, complicated moving shot...the director may get picky and make you do it again. And again. Its easy to fall out of love with a movie, especially under such crazy repedative conditions. Just when you think you've got something down, you have to run through it again. Sometimes the lighting is wrong. You accidentally stood in a shadow. You trip. You sneeze. You yawn.

I understand where he's coming from.
  2. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As I've said before on this thread a number of times, I think what Ewan said has been taken out of context. A few weeks back on a chat show we get over here called Parkinson, although Ewan was there mostly to pug Moulin Rouge, when asked about Star Wars, he seemed to me to still be very enthuisastic about being Star Wars, so unless the bloke has bizarre mood swings, I think that's the case. The one negative thing he said about it was that he felt filming Moulin Rouge was far more interesting, but I don't think anyone can blame him for saying that!
  3. Darth Bombad Jedi Padawan

What happened to Ewan? I remember Robin Gurland and others saying that of all the cast, Ewan was the most thrilled to be cast. Once articles on Ep.I began coming out, Ewan was always the most enthusiastic. If you've seen any of the DVD extras, you've seen how excited and thrilled he was to be part of it.

But you're right, his tone has changed. Why? What happened to Ewan MacGregor? I'll tell you what happened to him: Fandom.

Being accosted by thirtysomething men weilding toy lightsabers and calling you "Obi-Wan" would turn anyone off.

Ewan is an adult, and he probably expects to be treated like an adult. I love Star Wars, I really do, but I have to admit that I've met other fans who are really embarrassing and need to get a life. These are movies. They're great movies, very moving at times, and they're a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, it's a movie. People who set their entire lives by this stuff need psychological help.

Being exposed to that is what has made Ewan rather bitter about being Obi-Wan.
  4. MountainMan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    My favorite Ewan quote:

"I was backstage signing autographs and I hear someone call, 'Hey, Obi-Wan!' I tried to ignore him but he says it again. I look over and say, 'What?' He says, 'Do you have any advice for a Jedi in training?' and I said, 'Yeah, **** off!'"

This was the same interview, and a recent one, mind you, where he was very excited by the fact that kids recognize him and want to know about "Obi-Wan." I think he's pretty jazzed about Star Wars, but in this post TPM era when the media is looking to bag on Star Wars and George Lucas every chance they get, I think Ewan's negative comments get a disproportionate amount of exposure. Frankly, I don't think we're getting the whole story.
  5. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    I think MountainMan and Oakessteve might be right about this.

The negative comments tend to be reported through and by and via and stuff like that. Whenever I see him on TV or read about him in serious movie mags, he seems to be very into it. And you just have to look at shots from the making of AotC in Australia to understand that he's enjoying his SW ride. One shot that springs to mind is one where he's standing next to Lucas, wearing his own clothes (ie not working) and laughing at something happening on the stage. He's there and having a laugh even when he's not in front of the camera.

And the DVD certainly doesn't show any bitterness on his part whatsoever. I guess we just want to see the crap sometimes. I remember some people on this board trying to misinterpret his "a single tear" joke on the last day of shooting. He says it as a joke on it being the last day of shooting, but some folks thought he was commenting on the boredom of shooting SW...

He looks good in the pictures, he looks good in the teaser, and in typical Ewan-fashion he'll be great in the movie. I think we'll have to wait till May 2002 to judge his enthusiasm as well.
  6. Wald Balfed Your Mother Jedi Knight

star 3
    "I was backstage signing autographs and I hear someone call, 'Hey, Obi-Wan!' I tried to ignore him but he says it again. I look over and say, 'What?' He says, 'Do you have any advice for a Jedi in training?' and I said, 'Yeah, **** off!'"

Bwhaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! [face_laugh]

That's priceless.
  7. LordIsurus Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is exactly what I've been saying. Ewan, and most likely Alec, loves Star Wars and is happy to be in the movies. But after being accosted and called Obi-Wan all the time, must be annoying, especially if he's trying to promote another movie. Ewan is a proud actor and when the time comes, he'll promote Star Wars. But in the mean time, he is promoting and is equally as proud of Moulin Rouge, or whatever he's involved with. Ewan rocks and he's passionate. In those ways, he's certainly like Alec Guiness :)

Isurus
  8. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    And judging from the trailers he's got a fun and meaty part in the new movie, much like parts in the OT that he loves so much. So he really should be happy about it now.

Maybe he doesn't want to talk big about it because he doesn't want to contribute to impossible expectations? He'd just rather shrug "well, it's not that special" and let the movie speak for itself?
  9. Moheeb Jedi Padawan

I just watched that Oprah comment from the interview and i have an observation to post. It seemed to me that the comment caught Ewan off guard. Notice the long pause after the reporter makes it. Ewan seems kind of unsure what to say about it. And he doesn't really dwell on it...it's more like he was thinking "what the heck am I supposed to say to that comment?" Maybe it's just me but I think the complaints about the interview and that comment are not really fair. Heck, if people hadn't pointed it out I don't think I would have even remembered it for more than a few seconds. To me it seemed like he was skirting an uncomfortable position more than anything. Maybe it's just me. Who knows.

Moheeb
  10. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Ehm...what is the Oprah comment...?
  11. Moheeb Jedi Padawan

Quote from thora's post above (about page 2 of this thread (I hope I got the name right =)

" As someone who has always defended Ewan's "off the cuff" charm like a blathering ditz, lately I have come to believe that perhaps I might have been more wise to admire his work as opposed to admiring him. Just recently at Cannes Ewan did an interview with Jonathan Ross, a notoriously rude and obnoxious British media personality. I saw it on a Real Player Movie Clip. No misquotes this time.

You can blame Mr. Ross all you want for bringing it up first, but Ewan isn't a shrinking violet. Laughing a blue streak with Ross about Ross's remark that Oprah Winfrey only appeals to "disenfranchised overweight single women" considering the fact that Oprah devoted an entire show to promote Moulin Rouge wasn't exactly polite nor was it very smart on Ewan's part. Oprah raved about the movie because she loved it so much. Since she executive produces she can choose her own subject matter. Nicole Kidman was of course the epitome of charm, but needless to say this little RealPlayer clip wasn't included on the show. Laughing with Ross about "fat chicks" was bad enough, but then Ewan made a really snide remark about "lonely single women" to whom his character would appeal, and let me just say he didn't come off as a very nice guy. A girlfriend of mine who saw the clip hit the nail on the head when she described his attitude. She said he seemd to have this "my, aren't all these female fans who follow my career pathetic little darlings?" kind of attitude. Quite frankly, he did come across as being pretty darn condescending to a large segment of his fan base. Not a brilliant move on his part. "

That's basically the argument against the clip (there's a link in this thread somewhere to it...sorry, running outta time or I'd be a little more efficient in getting the info lined up for you. Anyhow, watch it for yourself and see what you think. I wouldn't dare say that it was a smooth move by Ewan, but I don't think it was really as bad as some people make it sound. Definately not smart though. *shrugs* Anyhow, it doesn't matter much to me if he is a jerk in real life so long as I don't think that the whole time I watch him on the screen (which I doubt I will. =)

Moheeb
  12. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think that people are overreacting to what Ewan said about 'fat chicks'. I think the trouble is that over here in England, it's more acceptable to make jokes about that sort of thing, where as in America it isn't. I've seen lots of interviews with Ewan McGregor, and to me, he always comes off as a very nice down-to-earth chap. Probably he just gets sick of being asked about Star Wars all the time, like how Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Alec Guiness, and Liam Nesson have all done in the past. The same thing will happen to Hayden as well, I suspect. Even George Lucas probably gets sick of talking about Star Wars on occasions!
  13. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Wouldn't it be so cool if you did a Lucas interview and he just got all grumpy and said "I don't wanna talk about that Star Wars thing. Let's talk about something else. Have you seen American Grafitti?". ;)

On another note - I thought I'd balance out some of the negative things that's been said about Ewan in this thread with some Ewan/Star Wars positivity! The following are bits from a Q&A Ewan did for Film Review back in March 1998, and it shows off quite a happy little chappie that's just filmed TPM and is clearly excited about it. Granted, it's long before people got all TPM mad and stuff - but it's also after Ewan had read the script and made the film, so he knows all about what's going on.

Q: So, you're getting to work with the greatest franchise in movie history...
    A: It certainly is an honour. I went home one day and my wife was sitting with a lot of her mates, and I go "I worked with R2-D2 today!", and they all looked at me and went "Who?". I guess it's a boy's thing. Chicks just don't get it. I had my own lightsabre! Wow, that was mad.

Q: How did you get approached? How did you feel about it?
    A ...what's the storyline?

A: The characters in SW are almost like people in your family ... When I first met R2-D2 I almost went down on the ground. i walked into the props room and there were about 50 prop-makers and I was just going "Aaaaaahhhhh!!". They all knew how I felt.

Q: What about Lucas as a director?
    A: He was great. I really enjoyed working with him. He's a lovely man, really nice. (Comparing to Danny Boyle) - George is a very different kind of director. You could see with George that he's aware of what's "going on" behind you, what's going to be "going on" in front of you and all around you - as well as keeping his eye on what we were doing. Whereas Danny was only watching us, really. I think.

Q: Was it overwhelming when Lucas said "Okay, you can be in the next Star Wars"?
    A: It was overwhelming the first time he said "Okay, you come in the space ship, you start it up, and...", and we were suddenly on the floor, laughing. You come in the space ship and start it up. I wonder how you do that. Is there a key?

A: I've got a feeling I haven't made it a big a thing as you all have. In my life, it was just another job. Of course it was a huge job because it's Star Wars. But I've got a body of work behind me. I don't feel like "Oh, I've made it". I feel like "Oh, I'm in Star Wars".

A: There was 2 years of pre-production and three and a half months of shooting. There's 18 months of post-production. That shows you how important the acting is. But I never walked into it expecting to give an Oscar-winning performance. I think I did a good job and the film will turn out to be exactly what it was meant to be.

Q: Is your short haircut the residue from Star Wars?
    A: No, I've had it cut since. Or have I? Am I lying to you?

Q: All right, I've had enough! What's the storyline?!
    A: Well...I'm not allowed to tell you what the storyline is, but...(faints, begins to act like he's dying). The plot of the movie is...uurgh! (Acts like he's dead):

A Jedi and loving it, I would say! ;)
    Creepy fact: Christopher Lee is interviewed in the same mag about Frankenstein...

14. DarthFunky Jedi Padawan

Ewan is the coolest actor in these new Star Wars Movies. He nails the Obi Wan part ala Guiness.

If hes griping, i don't really care so long as he continues to do a good job on Star Wars. I thought he was one of the most charismatic characters in TPM and grossly underused. I'm hoping to see more of him in AOTC.
  15. Darth-Mouth Jedi Master

star 4
    Interviews with Ewan are like damage control except instead of damage it's Star Wars. He doesn't mind talking about SW but he is more eager to talk about his other films, probably because he does not want his career to be defined by three performances as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

On the Tonight Show, when Jay Leno said something like, "....but let's talk about Moulin Rouge" Ewan's eyes lit up and he said "good..." in a way that didn't seem like he hated SW but definitely gave me the idea that he'd rather talk about Moulin Rouge. And the audiences positive reaction to the very mention of the film also seemed to please him.

I can't say I blame him. It's just tough because these films will be around FOREVER, and most of his other films, despite critical acclaim, have not reached anywhere near the popularity of the SW films.
  16. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    The critical and commercial success of Moulin Rogue might make him feel more comfortable about SW too.
  17. ElegantWeapon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I once thought Ewan was turning into a gripe like Guiness did, but honestly I think now Ewan is just Ewan. ;)

He likes to be in the movies, but still can take a critical eye to things that he thought could've been better. (ala the script)
    He enjoys being an awe to little kids, and doesn't mind being the new Obi-Wan to them, but thinks 30-somethings need to get a life.
    He loves having his own lightsabre, but doesn't want to constantly talk about it.
    He has a passion for his craft, not just star wars movies.
    He's generally excited about being part of movie history, but is striving to keep his career intake by still doing smaller budget, and different roles. (which is smart)

Ewan is personally one of my favorite actors to come along in the last 5 years. (Anyone ever see A Life Less Ordinary? Awesome film.) So I think I'll have to learn to take his negative SW comments with a grain of salt.

But what I really think is funny, is how Star Wars DID thrust Ewan into the public eye more than even he probably would admit.

I remember so many interviews with people before the movie (TPM) came out, and they were all like "I think they have a scottish guy playing Obi-Wan, what's his name, Ewan something?" Hilarious.
  18. Darth_Iquitous Jedi Master

star 4
    Since McGregor is turning into Guinness, how are they going to get rid of the mole on his cheek? Will he lose it in a lightsaber battle?
  19. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    We've pretty much decided that he isn't turning into Guiness, so that's no problem.
  20. Darth_Em Jedi Master

star 1
    I agree with you Elegant Weapon (except I never really thought Ewan was ever getting quite as sour as Alec Guinness was).

I actually went through all the Force net news stories and a few other Ewan archives looking for all these instances where Ewan supposedly slagged off Star Wars and George Lucas. I came up with very little really.

Ewan is consistently negative about some aspects of Star Wars. He's not fond of the more obsessed fans. He's not fond of blue screen (as we all know), but I couldn't find any instance of him criticising SW for being blue-screen heavy. He mainly talked about how he personally found it difficult or confusing.

A couple of times he talked about the lack of depth in the characters. We all know that he said that the TPM script could have been better, but don't lets forget he said that after saying that the AOTC script was good. He was comparing one to the other (and positively praising AotC).

I've not yet found a negative word about Lucas or his directing. Quite the reverse, Ewan has actually made comments about how easy going and nice GL was, and even defended his directing style when an interviewer was really trying to draw him into a 'Lucas is a bad director' comment.

Ewan has made a few jokes about Lucas having spies trained on him to make sure he doesn't leak the script but they are clearly just jokes and only meant to be taken humorously.

All in all, stripping away the interviewers own personal slant or 'angle', I found Ewan's comments to be remarkably consistent. He loves Star Wars, he's a fan but not a fanatic, he gets on reasonably well with George Lucas and respects him as director but thinks the title of Episode II and the script of Ep I could have been better. He enjoys talking to kids about it (unlike Guinness). When he was on a Scottish chat show recently and the host was asking about the lightsabers he said that he didn't really want to go into how it was done because there might be kids watching and he just wanted to emphasise that lightsabers really were a very dangerous weapon and should be handled with care. It was cute, not only because adults in the audience got the joke, but because it showed he he still wanted to maintain the magic for the kids who still thought lightsabres were real.

Ewan talked about Star Wars a lot in his recent LA appearances to promote the re-release of Moulin Rouge. He mentioned that it was fun several times (along with the standard story about blue screens and enjoying kids talking to him about 'did you really cut Darth Maul in half' but not when adults asked the same questions). From Leno: "You're in the Star Wars films, are they fun? They are. I'll tell you what, they are brilliant to be in and there's something fantastic when little kids come up to you... I love that, I love that." KROQ: Well, I thought about it for a long time, and the nearer I got to getting the part the more I realised that I really wanted to do it.""I just thought it would be a trip to be Obi-Wan Kenobi in the films, and I'm not wrong." "[Hayden] he's just fantastic. He came in and, erm, he must have been... I think he's 19 when we started. I just really love him, he's a great great bloke, you know? And a great actor but like, a really nice bloke."

I don't think Ewan is in danger of really turning into a sour Star Wars basher, although he'll always speak his mind, and I hope that doesn't change.

21. LordIsurus Jedi Knight

star 3
    In one of my previous posts, I mentioned something and I think Ewan owes me a little nod. Speaking of that, it wouldn't surprise me if Ewan read these boards, and if so, I say a very welcoming hello to him. <<hey, wishful thinking never hurt anyone, right? hehe >>

The reason I say that is because I downloaded a radio interview with Ewan from a link which was on the main TFN page not too long ago<<the KROQ interview>>. In the interview Ewan mentions how Star Wars is above an beyond anything else. And his meaning is what I'd put into a post before. He doesn't like Hollywood type movies. But even though Star Wars is an American-esque movie, it's like an entity unto itself <-- ((he must have read my post, right? err the wishful thinking continues :p )). How Ewan, or anyone, does in Star Wars does not affect how they do in Hollywood. Star Wars is outside of that whole processed realm. It's something I've always felt and believed. When Star Wars gets snubbed at the Oscars, or wherever, it doesn't bother me. If anything, it reiterates the point that these movies are outside of that structure. And unlike foreign or independant films, the Hollywood types must hold some grudge towards it. Oh now I'm getting way off topic. But dont mind me :) Anyways, the thing is that in that radio interview, Ewan sounds very positive about Star Wars and that he too sees it as I, and probably scores of others, do as well. Thats why he, as the other actors did too, signed on for these movies not even having read the script. I doubt Ewan is the type of actor who'd normally sign on for something without knowing exactly what he's getting into. Ewan rocks! And so does Samuel, Hayden, Ian, Jake and the incredible Natalie.

Isurus

22. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Quick! He says he liked the filming of BlackHawk Down more than AOTC!

Let's %^&%$# about him. ;)
  23. LordIsurus Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, and here's the link.

The link to the article JK Pozzi refers

And here everyone, not even an Ewan hater, should be able to read how easily quotes are misused. We all know Ewan prefers to act with sets and actors more than "imagining" what is present. I'm sure any actor would. I mean, really, it is probably more satisfying and fun to have people there, in the moment with you. You all know that. Thats why those blooper and outtakes shows are fun to watch. So, in this article, as you can plainly see, Ewan says it's more satisfying to work in an evironment with real sets and actors. He does not, anywhere in that article, say whether or not Star Wars is more or less satisfying than Black Hawk Down. But what is the title of the article? It's "Ewan McGregor says new film satisfied him more than Star Wars". Anyone who just reads the title of that article will think Ewan saw both movies and said Black Hawk Down is more satifying than Star Wars. But, as it's blatantly apparent..and since AOTC is nowhere near completion..and probably many other reasons, he doesn't say that at all.

Isurus
  24. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, this is a non-issue.

However, actors are of very divided opinions about bluescreen and working without other actors around you. Terence Stamp hates it, as we all know. Ewan and Liam both thought it was hard work. Sam Jackson is extatic about it - he goes on all the time about how it frees up your imagination and that's what he loves about acting anyway. Ian McDiarmid claims he doesn't see much of a difference. When comparing SW to the 'real' sets of Sleepy Hollow he insisted that it doesn't matter 'cause you're never using more than a little piece of the set anyway, and the rest is a mad field of people and machines - so if there's a set or a bluescreen it's all the same to him.

Ian McKellen was asked a similiar question about LotR and the scenes where he fights the Balrog, which is a CG creature. Ian said it's no different than acting "with actors", 'cause most of the time they're not really there anyway, and you're effectively acting to the camera. So you pretend, which is what acting is all about anyway, he said.

The funny thing is that it seems like the more seasoned pros are loving it, or not seeing much of a difference. But a younger pro like Ewan, with his background in small movies with intense focus on characters and acting and method, seems to be less into it. Understandable I guess. It's just so funny to see the difference in opinion between him and Jackson, who claims to love working with bluescreens and CG characters.
  25. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Woa, check out the AotC News - Ralph Brown (Ric Olie) is bashing Lucas!
    And they "can't print" what he says...

So what do you think he's complaining about? That George didn't teach him how to do his job?

I mean, Harrison Ford didn't have better lines to work with in ANH really, but he made it sound sensible and believable. Not that I'm suggesting that there's a difference in class between the two... 8-} Imo, Brown and Quarshie (Panaka) are so bad I'm convinced I could have done better myself. Oh, how we'll miss them in AotC... :_|
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.