main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan Kenobi Appreciation Thread: AOTC and Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm a spoiler junkie, but even if I wasn't, I would still consider Obi-Wan Kenobi the most interesting and coolest character in AOTC. As for Episode III, I'm sure the same style will go on for him.

Obi-Wan has always ben my favorite character. I especially liked him in TPM where he kicked some major a$$. Just from the trailers, it is clear that Obi-Wan will be more involved, will have a better sense of humor than in any of the SW movies, and will kick some major a$$!

Appreciate Obi-Wan here :D

ST

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Damn fine thinking here. :)

3. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I'm gonna post early on in this thread then ignore it until it spirals past 5000 posts, then I'll pop in again and say 'Howdy, I was one of the first'.

4. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    What Eagle said.

:D

5. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    He's one cool Jedi!

EDIT: Looking forward to the Anakin/Obi duel personally...

6. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    What Eagle and Darth-Mouth said! :p

I'm a big Obi-Wan fan but I'll check back when I've got something more to "appreciate"! I've only seen the Forbidden Love trailer up to now, but I like the look of Obi-Wan's scenes just from that... :D

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "I hate it when he does that."

I love it when he says that ;)

Its good to see that he'll have more moxy in AOTC. He was under-used and under-appreciated in TPM. I'm ready for more of the wit that gave us the classic "Who's the bigger fool.." quote. Bring on the Obi!

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I say that we demand an Obi AOTC soundtrack cover! There are already 4... why not 5?!

Hey, wait a minute! Does Obi have a theme yet? I think he definitely needs a theme of his own. DotF doesn't quite cover it, though it is pretty kicka**.

I think it's clear that Obi-Wan needs an appreciation thread. He is one of the largest influences on the course of SW history, and the man doesn't even have his own theme! What does he hafta do to get some respect?

(Yeah, I'm a little spazzy today. Been up all night again. ;) )

9. Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi

Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Obi-Wan ROCKS! I mean, face it, everyone's interested to see what happens to Anakin, but who's more tragic? The Dark Jedi, or the Jedi who trained him? Yes, I can safely say I have some healthy Obi appreciation going on here.

10. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Obi-Wan is my second favourite character from the Saga, and I'm very glad that he's given more to do in Attack of the Clones, and I think this thread is a very good idea. Good job, as Obi-Wan would say,ST-TPM-ASF-TNE :p.

11. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    I always thought Obi-Wan's theme was sort of the Force Theme (Binary Sunset) but I guess it isn't really.

Obi-Wan promises to be the most dynamic and interesting character in the saga (including Vader). I agree that he should get his own soundtrack cover and that he should have been better featured in the poster.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Agreed.

Does anyone else here agree Obi-Wan was a cool character in TPM? I know he was given less screentime than he should have, but still, I thought he was more awesome than Maul even :D

ST

13. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    He was far more bada** than Maul. He was beating him even when Maul had the double blades intact. He was much faster and just plan better. Maul had to cheat (as Sith are apt to do), and Obi still outsmarted him.

I only complain about his screentime because he deserved much more.

14. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...obi-wan kenobi in his prime was the greatest jediknight ever...

15. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    I thought Obi-Wan was used just right in TPM.

If he had been featured more (example: If he had gone into Mos Espa with Qui-Gon et al) it would have taken the attention away from Qui-Gon, the master, who we all have to mourn when he dies.

Also, featuring Qui-Gon much more than Obi-Wan helps build a theme of the Master being more important than the Apprentice, something that will be turned upside-down as we see Obi-Wan train Anakin.

If Obi-Wan had been with Qui-Gon when they all met Anakin, it would have dilluted the fact that it was Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon alone who saw so much promise in the boy. The fact that Obi-Wan becomes the reluctant Master adds an interesting nuance to his relationship with Anakin.

16. Rhif_Rhaf

Rhif_Rhaf Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm just wondering if the conflict between Obi-Wan and Anaking starts in AOTC or in III. Obviously, their friendship turns sour and Episode III should feature a knock-down, drag out fight between them (the best ever in all of the films) where Anakin is nearly killed. Hence the life support apparatus.

17. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    (Shortly after A New Hope...)

"Mr. Kenobi, you sliced Darth Maul, fought Jango Fett and Count Dooku, fought Darth Vader twice, and now you're one with the Force. What are you going to do next?"

"I'm going to--"

"DisneyWorld?"

"No, I'm going to the pub for a pint."

In all honesty, Obi-Wan is THE MAN.

When he snarls at Maul (after Maul struck down Qui-Gon), you KNOW he's going to smack Maul upside the head.

In the Clone War trailer, he fights the deadly Jango Fett on the ground, through an asteriod field, and in the arena of witty repartee.

In Episode III, he defeats Darth Vader (something I doubt is a serious spoiler).

Let me reiterate: HE DEFEATS VADER.

In Episode IV, he listens as Han brags about the Falcon - and smiles and nods.

"Twelve parsecs. Uh-huh. Riiiiiight."

And finally, moments before becoming one with the Force, Obi-Wan smirks at Vader, indicating that he KNOWS the good guys are gonna win.

Truly, a man for all seasons.

18. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    "you KNOW he's going to smack Maul upside the head."

LOL! :D

19. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    But ironically his brush with the Dark Side in that scene almost ends up being his untimely demise.

Though it was hardly suspenseful with him hanging there since we knew he had to survive.

20. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan is an awesome character. Even though he didn't have much to do in TPM, it did show he was a more cautious, thoughtful Jedi than Qui-Gon, who was always one to throw caution to the wind. Even as an apprentice, Kenobi was wise beyond his years. From a drama critic's POV, he is the link between trilogies, and one of the hardest roles to re-cast. Padme we never saw in the OT, Anakin was always behind a mask. Outside the mask we see him for 60 seconds, hear him for less than that, and don't really gain an understanding of his personality. Obi-Wan, however, is a character we met in the old trilogy, played by Alec Guinness no less. To recast that role, you have to find an actor who can look, sound and move like Guinness. Ewan McGregor is all three. And doesn't he look awesome with that beard, and the long hair? (Forget your crushes on him girls, and ask yourself how much he resembles Guinness.)

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    He resembles Alec Guinness so much its freaky [face_shocked]

ST

22. Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi

Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't know what people are thinking if they think Maul is cooler than Obi-Wan. I mean, as soon as those frickin' laser doors were ready to open after Maul struck down Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan was bouncing on his toes, tore out of the gate and put a whuppin' upside Maul like never before seen in a Star Wars flick. Maul got in a lucky shot and that's the only reason he ever had the upper hand on our favorite Jedi.

And I think Obi-Wan was used well in TPM. I like the fact that Qui-Gon was the main Jedi. I think it shows how much Obi-Wan will have grown in between the two flicks. You have Obi-Wan in the background and you already know he's gonna become legendary, so concentrate on his master, who we know nothing about. I like that. Plus, it kind of keeps him reigned in until that last fight, unless you count his trashing the many battle droids. Though I feel as though any Jedi worth his salt wouldn't work up a sweat on rinky dink battle droids. Keep him in check and watch him take care of matters as soon as Qui-Gon goes down. He whups up on Maul some, that same cocky dude we saw scrapping droids, then gets that cheap shot thrown at him. This is when we first see him truely concentrate on the Force and let it guide his actions. I believe when he's hanging on for dear life in that melting pit and lets himself relax as the Force Theme plays, that's when we see the potential of greatness in him, fighting aside. I like that it's showed at the end of the movie. After that, you just know in the next coupla flicks, you're gonna see him grow into the legend that he was in ANH.

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I don't think Ewan McGregor does look very much like the young Alec Guinness, as I recently saw a picture of him, and if any actor looks like a younger version of him, it's probably Kevin Spacey. Having said that, Ewan McGregor does look as if he could be related to Alec Guinness, so there is a slight resemblance going there.

By the way, what does everybody think of George's fleshing up of Obi-Wan's character? I have to say it's a very wise move, as from the Classic trilogy, we never get to see how Obi-Wan is like or how he acts as a character, but I have a feeling with the prequel trilogy, we'll understand him better. I also like the idea of him not liking flying, as it's something that nearly every main character in Star Wars has to do, so having him dislike it is a nice comic twist. Also, having him dislike politicians makes his character seem more human, in a way, too, and I like the way George is continuing to develop Obi-Wan's dry sense of humour. I think he is one of the most sympathetic, and tragic characters of the Star Wars galaxy. But then again, I would think that, as he's my second favourite character!

24. obikes

obikes Jedi Master star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Obi-wan is the best, I can´t wait to see him fighting anakin.

25. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Obi-Wan is the definitive Jedi Knight.

He's incredibly loyal, well-discipled, attentive, and always does the right thing. Plus he knows how to fight with a lightsaber. I can't wait to see the character growth he'll go through, since he's been training Anakin for 10 years now.

I'm so glad that AotC will focus on Obi-Wan more, because he deserves to be noticed for how much he affects the whole Star Wars story line. He trains Anakin, started Luke on the path to become a Jedi Knight, told him to find Yoda, and pretty much explained the story of Anakin's fall to the dark side.

Even though he became one with the force in ANH, and I always cringe when I see him disappear, he's spirit remains througout the trilogy.

"The force will be with you, always"

Thanks Obi-Wan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.