main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan Kenobi Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by jEdI_kEnObI80, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jEdI_kEnObI80

jEdI_kEnObI80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    Hi there! I'm pretty sure alot of you are fans of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I know I am. This forum is the TPM Kenobi fan club! (I hope it's gonna be official...)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Go Obi-Wan! lolz

3. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    There's already an Obi-Wan fan thread in Miscellaneous forum. ;) So I'm not sure if this will be kept open. But anyway, I do love Obi-Wan. My favorite character forever. [face_love] :D He's so cool. If you need the link to the Offical Obi-Wan Fan Club, just ask for it. ;) Obi forever!

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
  5. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    Dangit, Ousley, you beat me! 8-} And admit it, I like Obi more than you. I like Obi more than a lot of people. Force, its sad how much I like that guy. :D :cool:

6. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    In the OT it was Han Solo, But when I saw TPM, I said to myself "Beep Obi-Wan's the MAN!!! If I could be one character I would be Obi-Wan. 8D

He also has the coolest lines in AOTC.

Edited for swearing. Try not to get so worked up! :)

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Jessica, I could never deny that you like Obi more than me. And in more ways than me. ;)

8. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Okay, then let's not put this as official. Anyway, Obi-Wan rocks! He defeated Darth Maul, survived the Clone Wars, survived the Fall of the Jedi and survived the torment on the desert planet of Tatooine for the rest of his life. Yeah, he didn't survive the fight between him and Darth Vader, but hey, he still lived as a spirit to guide Luke! :D

9. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is a lying, manipulative extremist with no patience and horrible teaching methods. He got what he deserved on Death Star I.

But he's a great character. :D

-Otis

10. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Otis, I didn't think Obi-Wan should deserve to die after being so loyal to the Jedi Order! (Dangit, Anakin ruins everything :(!)

11. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, Ousley. ;)

I don't think Obi-Wan deserved to die! [face_shocked] He was so loyal, and the perfect Jedi. Anakin ruined everything he ever dreamed of. :( Obi-Wan is just awesome.

12. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Exactly, Jess! Anakin ruins Obi-Wan's Jedi life. Just a few words: Anakin is a brat.

13. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I think that Obi-Wan is a great character. But a profoundly flawed one. That's what makes him a wonderful creation. Here's a man who has managed to twist the truth into a fanatical crusade and justify all of it as simply his unique "point of view". He spins a lie of murder for Luke, fueling a vengence in the boy, then he goes and intentionally martyrs himself to add even more hatred to the mix.

Great drama, that.

Remember . . Hamlet was insane, but that's why we keep reading and watching.

-Otis

14. Skywalker_Vader2be

Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Yeah, Obi-Wan's a great character. Good topic, Kenobi80! :)

15. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    Erm, I don't exactly think that's what Obi-Wan was doing, but to each his own, Otis. ;) But really, I doubt that Obi-Wan ot himself killed to add hate- he did it to save Luke. Obi-Wan is a loyal Jedi, he wouldn't do anything for sake of hatred.

Anakin ruins Obi-Wan's Jedi life. Just a few words: Anakin is a brat.

Amen to that. If truer words have ever been spoken, I'll be surprised. Anakin even managed to take away Obi-Wan's father figure, Qui-Gon. He kills everything Obi-Wan has worked so hard for. :mad: Obi-Wan is the best character ever, IMO. He doesn't seem complicated, but he is. Sure he's thought of as "the perfect Jedi," you know, he shows no emotion and stuff like that. But you just gotta wonder what he's feeling underneath that mask of calm. :( Obi-Wan rocks, and always will. :cool: The only thing I'm worried about is if Lucas will make hm seem the bad guy in Episode 3. Like everything is his fault. Its not. :( Sorry, I'm rambling now, I'll shut up. Obi forever!

16. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    posted by jEdI_kEnObI80: Okay, then let's not put this as official. Anyway, Obi-Wan rocks! He defeated Darth Maul, survived the Clone Wars, survived the Fall of the Jedi and survived the torment on the desert planet of Tatooine for the rest of his life. Yeah, he didn't survive the fight between him and Darth Vader, but hey, he still lived as a spirit to guide Luke!

You forgot to put that he handled Anakin's and Luke's whining like a pro. He didn't give into it he told them who was boss and didn't take any sht from them.8D Only a true Jedi could handle those Skywalkers 8D

17. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    But he's a role model, technically. He's wise, witty but also serious at the same time, and I guess he'll make a pretty darn good Master, it's just that Anakin made bad use of his training. :mad:

18. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Erm, I don't exactly think that's what Obi-Wan was doing, but to each his own, Otis.

You don't think he martyred himself to further the boy's hatred for Vader?

Watch ANH again:

-He claims: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." He was referring to how seeing his new mentor being killed will affect Luke. Obi-Wan has already told the boy that Vader killed his father. Having another reason to hate Vader will only enhance this.

-When Obi-Wan sees Luke in the hanger, he smiles knowingly and raises his lightsaber, freely giving up his life. He's making himself a martyr.

I'm sorry, we all may love the character, but he's pretty corrupt in his thinking later in life. Twenty years as a desert rat have clearly affected the man's thinking, and he'll obviously do anything to fuel the hatered of vader in Luke.

-Otis

19. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
  20. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I have to agree with Frampton. Even though Obi-Wan is my second favorite character of the entire trilogy (Luke is number one) I think that he did lie to Luke and intentionally martyr himself. Obi-Wan's main goal seemed to be to stop Vader and he thought that Luke was the one to do it. He needed Luke to hate Vader so that Luke could kill Vader. Three things happened in A New Hope that ensured that Luke would want to kill Vader and Obi-Wan was responsible for two of them.

1) One reason that he twisted the truth about Anakin's death was to get Luke to hate Vader. (I think the other reason was because Luke couldn't handle the whole truth at the time).
    2) Owen and Beru's deaths contributed to Luke's hatred of Vader. Even though Vader did not murder them himself, Vader's men did and Luke would still hold them responsible. Even though Obi-Wan had nothing to do with Owen and Beru's deaths, their deaths helped fuel Luke's hatred of Vader.
    3) As Frampton said, Obi-Wan let himself become a martyr. He saw Luke, looked at Vader and smiled and stopped fighting. He knew that seeing him murdered by Vader would make Luke hate Vader even more.

Even with his lying I think Obi-Wan is a cool character. He was a good Jedi and a loyal person.

21. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    :: sigh :: poor Obi-Wan :( he really had a hard life...

22. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Even with his lying I think Obi-Wan is a cool character. He was a good Jedi and a loyal person.

He's a great character, I agree. But as a human being, he's flawed because he's blinded by his fanatical loyalty to the Order and his self-imposed mission to use Luke to confront the evil of Darth Vader.

-Otis

23. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Anakin did ruin Obi-Wan's life... and poor Obi-Wan, blaming himself for everything. I'm really mad at Qui-Gon too, who was jabbering on and Anakin when he was dying. That must have made Obi-Wan feel even worse *sighs*

Oh well. Sabé/Obi-Wan forever [face_love]

24. Skywalker_Vader2be

Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, Sobi...it's not EXACTLY Qui-Gon's fault...Obi-Wan could have chosen not to take Anakin as his apprentice and that would have changed a lot of things. There would probably still be Jedi left but then again, there would not be any Luke or Leia Skywalker. Things could get complicated...:confused:

25. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Yeah...hey, I wonder how come some emoticons didn't show up...

Skywalker, you're absoloutely right. You can't blame the training of Anakin on Qui-Gon. It was Obi-Wan's own choice, but I still can't help feeling that if Obi-Wan hadn't accepted the kid as his Padawan, there would not be the fall of the Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.