main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan Kenobi Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by jEdI_kEnObI80, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I'd go with Obi-Wan.

2. jEdI_kEnObI80

jEdI_kEnObI80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    What makes you think that?

Ha, myself I choose Obi-Wan. I dunno why, but he seems to be more thoughtful.

3. Augury

Augury Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I'd say probably Qui-Gon, though it depends on what time period Obi-Wan you're talking about. :p

I don't think Qui-Gon was unwise in getting Anakin trained (as a lot of people have suggested). Was there danger? Yep, and I bet Qui-Gon knew it (aka, wasn't in denial). But the future is in motion, and he had no idea Anakin would do the things he did.

On just an overall level, though, Qui-Gon has a wiser feel to him, while the (old) Obi-Wan has more of a down-to-earth-sensible kind of wisdom to him. ;)

I might be weird, yes. ;)

4. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    I myself would choose Obi-Wan as wiser because he, in one of the first scenes of the movie, says there's something else going on. Qui-Gon basically tells him to forget about it. Later, Qui-Gon states that there's no logic in the Feds. move against Naboo.

Now true, Obi-Wan makes the 'young' mistakes such as not turning off his light sabre in water. (Cut scene) But, making a mistake like that doesn't mean you don't have wisdom. Making mistakes like that is the whole reason the Order has a Master to train young Jedi. That does not impeed on a persons natural savvy for a complex situation, which Obi-Wan clearly displays.

5. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I myself would choose Obi-Wan as wiser because he, in one of the first scenes of the movie, says there's something else going on. Qui-Gon basically tells him to forget about it. Later, Qui-Gon states that there's no logic in the Feds. move against Naboo.

Great point you have there! :)

6. Skywalker_Vader2be

Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    That's a really good point there. I agree with ya.

7. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Same here, but i still go with obi-wan.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'd most certainly go with Obi-Wan. Come on, Qui-Gon himself states that Obi-Wan's a much wiser man than he is, and I think it's true. Qui-Gon knows he's very moved by his emotions and the moment, but Obi-Wan thinks about the consequences.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Skywalker_Vader2be

Jul 25, 2003
    I still go with qui-gon.

10. jEdI_kEnObI80

Jul 24, 2003
    Well, ppl...

always one there is; no more, no less; the apprentice. 8-} Obi-Wan is still my option. i am his faithful padawan (no, not anakin that whiner)

11. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, that AFI Greatest Heroes and Villains thing was replayed today, and I tuned in just in time to see the Obi-Wan feature.

George Lucas was saying that the films needed the mythical 'wise' person--Obi-Wan! :D

And that list settles that other debate that's always floating around on the boards...Darth Vader/Anakin is a villain, and Obi-Wan is a hero. :D

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    IMHO, both Anakin and Obi-Wan end up being heros of the saga... but that requires long explanations that I'm not prepared to give at 12:14am :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Onnie

Sep 10, 2000
    And just why not?

Now now SJ, I've got coffe and everything! :)

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Tea > Coffee :p

Well basically I think Anakin and Obi-Wan are two heros with different parts to heroically accomplish on the same mission. They're like Arthur and Merlin; neither one can accomplish their mission without the other. That's in short ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Skywalker_Vader2be

Jul 25, 2003
    Good example about merlin and arthur, sj.

Yeah, the star wars films do need a wise person but I thought qui-gon already claimed that spot :D

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But Qui-Gon is only in one film (so far). He's just kind of another wizard type character. Yes, he's wise, but Obi-Wan is really Anakin's guide/mentor/father figure for the whole arc (in one way or another).

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Onnie

Sep 10, 2000
    :) SJ!

Okay Earl Grey fine or do you prefer something else? ;)

That is a rather good example except, I'd put Anakin more as Mordor rather than Merlin. Both cancel the other out, etc.

18. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I like the prequel Obi-Wan more than the classic Obi-Wan.

Alec Guiness is cool and all but Ewan McGregor is just awesome.

19. luvqui-gon_gurl

luvqui-gon_gurl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    Prequel Obi-Wan rules!

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I like the way you guys think. :D

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yes, I love Ewan a ton personally and as an actor since years pre TPM. And I love him as Obi-Wan. Mostly I really just like that Obi-Wan gets to be a really main character in the PT because he was always one of my fav OT characters (along with Han and Boba! ;) ). Alec was great, but he was supporting. Ewan gets to play Obi-Wan in more of a lead which is exciting for us long-time fans of the character. Here's the thing: PT Obi-Wan is great, more in depth than what we see of him in the OT. BUT- where it not for Alec's performance in the OT, I wouldn't be so interested in Obi-Wan's backstory. So yeah, I like Ewan and PT Obi-Wan more because we get to explore his character more and of course Ewan's awesome :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Well said, solo. ;)

And very true, too.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm far too full of Obi-Wan philosophy and ideas. I need to get to writing my Obi-Wan saga fic already and get them out there! :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I fully support that action, sj. The more Obi fics the better. :D

25. Skywalker_Vader2be

Jul 25, 2003
    Okay, I give in. Both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are wise. There!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.