main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Kenobi’s the most underrated character in the entire saga.

[​IMG]

He was there at Anakin’s beginning.

He trained him.

He was like a father to him.

He lost him.

He bested him in battle.

He saved the saber.

He waited 19 years and devoted his life to train his son.

He began training his son.

He was killed by Anakin.

He became more powerful and continued to guide Luke.

He brought Luke to Yoda.

He ended up getting his Padawn back and friend back in the end.

Kenobi deserves to live on. He’s the most underrated character in all of Star Wars.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Though Luke as of Episode VIII and possibly Han as of the Solo movie had passed Obi-Wan in movie screentime. He was barely in the last trilogy in story line (IV-VI) and just an unnamed easter egg in VII.

Though the Sun isn't a great source of information, IX may be the 'member berriest (rumors of more Yoda, Lando, etc.) of all 'cause that's how Abrams rolls in general. Simon Pegg: "He’s said he’s closing out nine films – he’s not just making a sequel to [Star Wars:] The Last Jedi – he’s making the closing [episode] and he has to embrace all nine of them, all eight of them rather."

2Cleva, Gai' Phó, TadoFett and 2 others like this.
  3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I see one risk for Obi being in IX. Don't give him the story people wanted for Luke. It's all fine and dandy to bring back a force ghost to give Rey some words of wisdom, although personally I don't see any relevance for Obi in this story other than LF is probably desperate for a popular veteran to appear given the state of everything. But, don't rub salt in the wound. People were upset about how Luke went out while being deprived of a legacy. Don't make Rey a lasting symbol of Obi's legacy at the expense of Luke. I don't just mean Rey Kenobi. I also mean by having Rey trained by force ghost Obi after Luke didn't train her. Luke doesn't have a legacy of family or the Jedi Order or the Republic. If Rey is to carry the mantle of the new Jedi and saving the republic without help from Luke but with the aid of Obi, I think that will be rejected by some fans just as much as Luke's story was.

If we go with the idea that IX is somehow supposed to wrap up the entire saga by tying everything together somehow, I really love the idea of the bolded. I'd get nostalgic for that if we saw those two as force ghosts together in the afterlife.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm hoping they have time to "wedge" in certain old favorites.

5. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I like the cut of your (speculative) jib.

6. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    This is why I keep saying that we can't judge the "relay" approach to storytelling until Episode 9. For better or worse, the story isn't complete and there are amazing twists and turns you can pull off by NOT going the Marvel route and planning everything in advance.

JJ doesn't have to go with my suggestions obviously, but it just goes to show what is possible with the blank slate provided by TLJ.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    YES - this would be awesome.......

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Perhaps Hamill was still in negotiations to appear in IX (he really should ask for a ton of money), and LFL played "hardball" floating the rumor that Force Ghost Obi-Wan or Yoda could appear in Episode IX. Meaning, "Mark, we love ya but you can be replaced, so sign on our offer."

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Ewen McGregor on Brittish tv....

Current Appearance?
    Beard....[face_dancing]
    Hair...….[face_dancing]

:obiwan:

10. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Some kind of Obi-Wan cameo would be cool.

11. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  12. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    And this is why people set themselves up for crushing disappointment with each new movie. This is not going to happen. Accept that Rey is unrelated to any of the past characters. *Accept it*

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

I hope the movie is a cartoon and is called

rOBIn Wan Kenobi and the Chew bear!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    PREACH!!!!

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Looking thru that graph above, it's just bafflingly crazy how much more screentime Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker have had compared to Rey, and Kylo Ren-who is almost at the bottom of the list! I know Anakin has three films and Luke four, but Rey and Kylo both have two-only one less than Anakin-and still they have a only a mere fraction of the amount of screentime! No wonder the progression of their character arcs is left wanting, in the eyes of many.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  16. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    That graph doesn't include Episode 8, so it looks about right - she has about a third of the time that Anakin does, after she's only had one film. Kylo has less, but it already looks like about half the time that Vader has had altogether, and that's only after one film.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh. I thought it did include TLJ.

18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  19. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    My guess is not very credible, but they obviously do have someone getting them some pretty good intel, one way way or another.

We can always hope!!

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If McGregor does show up again as Obi-Wan in this film, I'd guess it might only be as a voice recorded later on in post production, as he did with TFA.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    For me it is utterly unthinkable that they would leave out Obi-Wan in what is the final chapter of the Skywalker saga, characters and events have revolved around him for 6 of the 8 films.

Valairy Scot and Wildcatbarry like this.
  22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think it would be great if he showed up. VIII was the Yoda FG scene. IX could have an Obi-Wan scene.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I mean, Obi-Wan's voice was in Episode 7 saying "Rey, these are your first steps..." I guess that could be sort of retconned as a mere Easter Egg for hardcore fans. Or it could be taken literally that Obi-Wan still has a role to play as a FG in this story...

oncafar and Wildcatbarry like this.
  24. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Maybe JJ's watched MCU and he's planning a massive set piece climactic fight with Anakin, Obi Wan, Luke and Yoda returning to corporeal form to fight against Kylo before he can use the Sith Stones which he's made a glove for.

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think Kylo has one of the best arcs in the saga so far.

Rodie, oncafar and moxlox like this.