main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Obi-Wan Kenobi: Ewan McGregor vs Alec Guinness

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth_mccartney, Mar 17, 2013.

?

Who's the better Obi Wan: McGregor vs Guinness

1. Ewan McGregor (Episodes I - III)

103 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Alec Guinness (Episodes IV - VI)

61 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Nah, but I like McGregor's Obi-Wan TBH.

2. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    It will always be Guinness for me. Despite Guinness only had a limited amount of screen time, he became the embodiment of the character and held that status until his passing in 2000. 22 years of embedded culture overshadows McGregor's first appearance.

As Cushing's Admirer said - it depends what generation you are from - but McGregor had some huge boots to fill and while a younger generation may prefer his take on the Jedi Master, for me personally he couldn't get it right.

MOC Yak Face, Sarge and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  3. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I think it depends on who you are talking to. For younger Star Wars fans, sure. After all, you have not one, not two, but three movies extensively featuring the younger version of Kenobi. If you ask die hard fans of the OT, chances are they will tell you otherwise. However, I do not feel these two versions of the same character compete against each other for fans' preferences. I feel both McGregor and Guiness did a terrific job. The rest is just a matter of taste.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Plus five series' worth of TCW, don't underestimate that viewing audience - and that's basically McGregor's Obi-Wan, he created the younger version of the character, the animators and voice actors follow his cue.

It'll always be Alec Guinness for me, but I completely understand why younger audiences would prefer Ewan McGregor, as opposed to an older 'cameo' of the character in the OT.

Mod action: Merging with the existing Guinness vs McGregor thread.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Shouldn't it be Ewan McGregor, Alec Guinness and James Arnold Taylor then?
    Anyway as someone who grew up in the PT years I like Guinness better.
    "The Force will be with you, always, the whole Force Ghost thing, "Use the Force, Luke" etc.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Heck, I *was* grown up during the OT and Alec infused his character with tons of depth and understated backstory.

Ewan took that and elaborated on it, breathing life into that backstory.

They're both Obi-Wan - but Alec is Ben and Ewan is Obi-Wan to me.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    It looks like McGregor is the popular vote so far.

8. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    Ewan McGregor: Not only did he actually enjoy the role, I saw him other stuff and hid pretty awesome

9. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Both there the same guy and id say McGregor is on par with Guinness.

10. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm going to say Guiness simply because Ewan had to "become" the obi-wan that we see in ANH,

this isn't the fault of McGregor nor was it the fault of Lucas or anyone else, but McGregor couldn't really make the character his own in my opinion.

T-R- likes this.
  11. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    As impressive as Ewan McGregor's performances in the Prequels was, I have to choose Alic Guinness. Alic created a character that you wanted to be your mentor. True, he was not capable of the acrobatics of his youth, he had wisdom and a tone that kept the Principles of the Jedi in your mind and heart.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Guinness for sure. He performed the "wise old mentor" role in ANH as well as anyone has in a film IMO. It's worth remembering he was nominated for an Oscar for this performance, the only SW performance to do so.

McGregor was very good, although he got off to a shaky start in TPM. His performance in RotS was excellent so I definitely think he was great casting in hindsight. I hope he gets a spin off film.

For me James Arnold Taylor is good but screws up the English accent too often. English fans will know what I mean. What I'm curious to see is, if Obi-Wan is in Rebels will JAT change his voice to be closer to Alec Guiness' older sounding one, since the character is far closer in age to that Obi-Wan than the PT version ?

13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    & that statement by Obi-Wan is in itself an absolute ;)

T-R- likes this.
  14. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm not voting in this one. How can I decide?! They are/were both amazing!

Seagoat and Master Jordan like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    both.

Seagoat likes this.
  16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Alec Guinness' performance in Star Wars IV is the best performance of Kenobi throughout the entire series. However, I'd say McGregor's performance in Star Wars III is a close second.

Alec Guinness is Obi-Wan to me. But I must say, Ewan did a phenomenal job and, hands-down, put on the best performances throughout the entire prequel trilogy.

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    WriterMan, you put it most eloquently. Alec Guinness will always be the Obi-Wan I know, but Ewan McGregor does deserve recognition for his outstanding performance in Revenge of the Sith.

18. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Both alec Guinness and ewan mcgregor are good for obiwan kenobi role

Master Jordan likes this.
  19. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I say both are good, one is not better than the other bt yh......

Master Jordan likes this.
  20. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Alec Guiness is Obi-Wan Kenobi. He really did a great job in the role.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    When I was little, I thought that Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor were the same person, made to look older in the OT and slightly younger in the PT.
    Turns out Obi Wan was played by different actors. That just goes to show how well Ewan McGregor did at giving the audience an impression of a younger Alec Guinness.

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I think that was just due to the reason that he was portraying Obi-Wan as a young man as opposed to what he would be like later on.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This necro tho

24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I even changed my avatar to Rasputin from Hellboy for just such an occasion.:D

Seagoat likes this.
  25. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Ewan. He's just perfect.