main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan Kenobi is the saddest character in StarWars

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Old Juan, Jun 23, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreopsis

coreopsis Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2000
    I believe we need to know what happens in Epi 2 and 3 before I would say Obi Wan is a tragic figure.

There is an arrogance and insensivity I see in him in Epi 1 that seem to be his character flaw. I refer to his "pathetic lifeforms" comment on Tattoine. Anakin has salvaged the situation and Obi-wan is resentful of Qui-gon liberating Anakin from slavery.

I would also say Obi-wan was one of two Jedi to survive Vader's purge.

Yes, to live in obscurity *knowing* (whatever it is that he will know) is a tragic burdeon.

I see the smile before Vader kills Obi-wan is the revelation that whatever he has experienced was wothwhile. That is the glimpse that bridges the past (prequils) with the future.

And I wonder whether Vader (or the Emporer) knows that Alderon is key to the survivle of hope. That both Luke and Leia had ties to Aleron that Vader targeted for destruction in Epi. 4 but both escaped.

2. Jedi_Master_Padme

Jedi_Master_Padme Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2000
    Darth Auntie...thanks for the referral. What a great thread. There is also one on the demise of the Jedi...thanks for pointing it out.

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Upsidaisy!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coreopsis:
    And I wonder whether Vader (or the Emporer) knows that Alderon is key to the survivle of hope. That both Luke and Leia had ties to Aleron that Vader targeted for destruction in Epi. 4 but both escaped.

Well I disagree with this part of your post. Tarkin destroys Alderaan because he can (flexing the Empire's muscle) and to "punish" Princess Leia for not being more forthcoming with information on the Rebel Alliance. I don't think Luke was ever on Alderaan... and Vader obviously knew Leia wasn't on Alderaan when it was blown to bits. She was on the Death Star, remember?

cool.gif

5. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    In anticipation of the Snowboard exodus, to the top this goes.

6. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks IronParrot! This is one of my favourite threads and I can't believe I almost forgot about it!!! Thanks once again!

7. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Up you go again... things really get buried fast here!

Frankly, if no one's gonna post here anymore, I think the admins better archive it. Coz this is a really great thread...

8. Yuuzhan_Vong

Yuuzhan_Vong Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2000
    his devotion to his goals is truly complete,but he really loses the point of his life.He does not
    enjoy in the plentitude that life itself offers him,he does not laugh,he does not cry...and the saddest is that he does not fall in love nor does want to find somebody who would take at least a little bit of care about him.I dont know if this is an act of independence or just being afraid to lose somebody who he loves. Obi-Wan is certainly a character from who other Jedi could learn a lot,but this tendance to perfection,blaming himself for tyranny of Vader,destroys his life as an individual and results at the end of the saddest of all -THE HERMIT.I feel like crying to see such grat jedi potential waisting itself,making himself believe that he is one who was responsible for thousants of innocent lives.
    Yes.Old Juan is right.The smallest thing Lucas could do for him is to give him the honor of being the greatest Jedi ever,because he is truly the only one who deserves it in the whole saga.
    Have a great summer.MTFBWY.
    Yuuzhan Vong (before Jedi Vedranna van Makkhe)

9. Chewmonkey

Chewmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2000
    The saddest part is that we know of his life from age 5-death, and there is never any mention of a consort or love interest. If I were a 60-odd year old virgin I'd have let Vader put me out of my misery too!

10. Obi-Wan Harclerode

Obi-Wan Harclerode Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2000
    Sad, malarky. Obi-Wan is the hero of the first three movies. He probably defeats no less than three Sith Lords, Maul, Legion (or whatever) and Vader.
    Faces Vader, becomes one with the Force, starts the New Hope on the path of the Jedi (who will also ressurect the Jedi) and survives the Jedi Slaughter.
    Obi-Wan is the man, he does not fail Anakin , Anakin fails him, like Obi says in the ROTJ novel. There was a wall of darkness inside him that Anakin could never get past!
    I think Obi Wan does what has to be done, and is the greatest Jedi of all time.

11. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    I'm glad to see this thread plucked from the clutches of the SnowBoard!

:eek:)

12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Up! This is really the best thread around but it gets buried really fast!

13. ayna

ayna Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    Wow....spent the whole day reading this intelligent thread . Nice one.

Hi Valiowk ! Remember me.

No comment regarding OWK as tragic hero at this time but....latest news is Owen Lars IS Ani step-brother . How could this be...Shmi married another man....Noooooooo! If she did, than Owen must have some Jedi power too. I always thought that Owen is Obi-Wan's brother...Oh well .

Okay ....just want to comment on latest news.This would give a new perspective on why OWK was the least bit sad when Owen and Beru was killed since he is not related to Owen but Luke was. So Owen is really his(Luke's) uncle ....and Aunt Beru would be just his wife....not any handmaidens.

14. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Just bringing this fantastic thread up again... It really deserves to be read!!!

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Good stuff...

16. mandalorianmatt

mandalorianmatt Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2000
    I must agree, Obi-Wan is a great hero and my favorite of all jedi. Obi-Wan is redeemed through Luke because after Anakin brings the balance, Obi-Wan knew that all of those lifes that were lost were for a greater cause though I believe that he feels bittersweet because those people will not live again and he finds himself responsible for taking the most precious thing to everyone away, life. I believe that Obi-Wan will be the hero of the PT and he should be because he was a great and noble warrior. He has such an intriguing character. I am sometimes dpressed when I think of the burden Obi-Wan has on his shoulders but I think that the only reason he stayed alive was he knew that Luke might be able to bring him redemption and he wanted the redemption so much, he was willing to die for it. Obi-Wan was willing to die so that he could know that the deaths that he believes he was responsible forhave a purpose. I love the stories of redemption. I love Obi-Wan's character and I hope that he stays my favorite throughout the saga. I want to see more Alec Guiness style Obi-Wan because he had that mystic presence so I hope Ewan McGregor can grow into the wise feel.

17. mandalorianmatt

mandalorianmatt Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2000
    Oops! Double Post!

18. Phantom_Squadron

Phantom_Squadron Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2000
    Wrong Forum And Its Stupid.

nataS liaH

19. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    This is not the wrong forum, it's been here since the P:SA board was divided into TPM and Ep II & III Spoilers. And it's a wonderful thread.

Brings back memories, it was one of the first topics I was brave enough to post on:).

At this point I think I'm just hoping GL lets Obi-Wan out of the prequels with at least some dignity intact. And I wish we do get a chance to see him being a great Jedi. Goodness knows he suffers for his mistakes, at least let him have the greatness to go along with it.

20. miyakosou

miyakosou Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2000
    at the end of episode 2 we will be wondering if obi-wan is a bad guy - more than accident than by choice.
    palpatine not only manipulates anakin, but also obi-wan.
    obi-wan is partly resposible for the fall of the jedi and of the republic
    obi-wan and anakin get obsessed in a personal battle that simmers in episode II and boils in episode III.

21. JediGittes

JediGittes Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Kenobi has always had the short end of the stick! The man has always been protrayed as a noble and fairly sage type of bloke and yet, as the thread suggests, he is the only Jedi to survive the purge (I use only due to his isolation) for which he feels partly responsible.

I just hope, like many others, that after the prequels, the image of Kenobi is enhanced rather than tarnished; Anakin's fall needs to be Anakin's fault/choice - having Kenobi as the scapegoat works in part - he did after all teach Anakin - but it must be a small part; The audience must sympathise with Kenobi rather than prosecute.

ED: Do you think Kenobi and Yoda saw each other at ALL after EpIII, or rather after Ben's death? - He obviously knew where Yoda was to tell Luke.....

22. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    Well, he wasn't the ONLY Jedi to survive. Yoda did, too.

I agree -- Obi-Wan has a tough time of it, yet he never complains about it. He's the ultimate tragic hero because he's completely selfless -- and look where it gets him. He sacrifices himself, really, for Luke and Leia (the Republic, to be more specific).

23. JediGittes

JediGittes Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Did you not see what I wrote in brackets?!
    '(I use 'only' as in his isolation') - I know Yoda survives - I even mention him in the context of meeting Kenobi!!!!

24. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    "i do not agree with the Jedi on this one" (or wahever it was)

OB1 is the alternate Christ figure in the Star Wars saga (remembering how GL likes to put the Bible in his allusions). actually i'd even go as far as saying that he IS the only Christ figure in the saga because he didn't gain anything by sacrificing himself just as Jesus had done. it's this type of love that Christians have proclaimed since the beginning of time that has confused many but put all of us in awe. the point isn't that you HAVE to sacrifice your life for something in return (redemption) the point is the sacrifice itself. there's something so humbling about that act of unselfishness that it is automatically redeeming.

25. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Why exactly did he sacrifice himself to Vader right in front of Luke? That bit has always bugged me and I still don't fully understand it. I know the whole 'more powerful than you can possibly imagine' bit is going to be explained in EPII but I've never figured out why he couldn't instruct and guide Luke when living. Also, what is the significance of purposefully allowing Luke see his father brutally murder him? Is it part of the whole Anakin redemption thing that Luke is ultimately responsible for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.