Obi-Wan Kenobi is the saddest character in StarWars

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Old Juan, Jun 23, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  2. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Since this olden goldie has risen once again, I have to say that after watching the deleted Mace-Obi-Wan scene, I feel for Obi-Wan yet again. Obi-Wan knows his mistake already ("The boy was too old to be trained"). But he also very clearly understands Anakin's problems, much more than Yoda/Mace. He truly sees Anakin as an individual, as his Padawan, not just as the "Chosen One", sent by the Force to help the Jedi. But Yoda/Mace completely ignore his views and think they know best. It's particularly sad because Yoda and Mace do seem to hold Obi-Wan in high regard and affection, and yet undermine the training of his own Padawan. And, Obi-Wan, the ever-dutiful Jedi Knight, has no power to contradict the dictates of the powerful Council and Palpatine, even when he feels them to be incorrect.
  3. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  4. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Up, as there's a new thread that touches on this.
  5. Darth-Mule Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Obi-Wan does get to redeem himself for his mistakes and he pays a high price... The sacrifice of his physical body so that Luke & Co could escape the Death Star. If he hadn't, Luke would have tried to save Ben and in the process would have probably gotten himself and everyone else captured or killed.
  6. DarthVegas Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is what I would call the Ultimate hero of the entire saga. Definetly a tragic one as well, but here is the prime example of a Jedi who lived wholly, and truly humble.
    Never did he shy away from action. Always did he do what he thought was right. Note he definetly has his flaws, but re-read the previous sentence carefully. He tells this to Luke who whines about staying home.
    So in the end, it's always sad to see someone so great, go. That is Obi-Wan.
  7. DarthVegas Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is what I would call the Ultimate hero of the entire saga. Definetly a tragic one as well, but here is the prime example of a Jedi who lived wholly, and truly humble.
    Never did he shy away from action. Always did he do what he thought was right. Note he definetly has his flaws, but re-read the previous sentence carefully. He tells this to Luke who whines about staying home.
    So in the end, it's always sad to see someone so great, go. That is Obi-Wan.
  8. Hananiah Jedi Master

star 4
    I do feel bad for Obi Wan, blame seemes to be placed soley on him. When Obi Wan says that it was his pride that cost the galexy i wanted to cry. Yoda didn't want to train Anakin but Obi Wan did so because he loved Qui Gon I think that Anakin's destiny had already been written and I don't think that even Yoda could have stopped his fall. Obi Wan will always be known as a hero because he did get things wrong, because he didn't always know what was best but that he loved Anakin and Luke and always tried to do good by them. I think that everyone knows this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.