main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan Kenobi is the saddest character in StarWars

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Old Juan, Jun 23, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Juan

Old Juan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 1999
  2. PrincessLaura

PrincessLaura Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 26, 1999
    I don´t know if anybody has already mentioned that: But I think the worst thing is that Obi is alone the whole time...we know there´ll be a romance between Annie and Padme, but what about Obi?? Did he ever have a girl-friend or even a wife?? I don´t think so...I only know him as a lonely man! Why can´t there be another romance (maybe many of you won´t like that idea)? I always wondered too why Luke had nobody in the old trilogy...well, there was Leia, but that´s not really serious, because it turned out that they´re brother and sister etc.

3. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, we don't know for sure Obi Wan won't have anyone, there seem to be a lot of handmaidens floating around . But....

I think that adds to the poignancy. Here you have someone who has devoted his life to the service of others, protecting the galaxy, training future Jedi, etc, just generally trying to do good, to live well. Yet he loses almost everything. Although in the end, he sees that everything turns out well with Vader's turn back to the Light Side. In Luke's case, if you don't take the EU into account, he'd be devoting himself to rebuilding the Jedi Order.

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    OK. I just felt that this page neede to be brought up. But I also want to say that I feel really bad for Obi-Wan coz he does everything selflessly - he trained Anakin coz Qui-Gon asked him to - and he refuses to blame anyone who might have been at fault. I think that Obi-Wan's character ought to be brought up more in EII and EIII because the opinion of him now still isn't very good. I think Obi-Wan deserves to be the greatest Jedi ever - after all, he believed in Luke when Yoda didn't.

Jedi Knight Fett and xezene like this.
  5. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Oh my GOSH! I just spent close to an hour sifting through some of the first posts.... then realized there were SEVEN MORE PAGES to this thing! eek.gif

What can I say.... I think this thread is great and just the right kind of dicussion for the JC. I wish some of MY threads had this many posts!

I've always felt for Obi-Wan. He gives so much and takes nothing in return. He has no life because he's always helping people -- or stuck in the middle of something bigger than himself. And the look on his face when he turns to Anakin during Qui-Gon's funeral -- AGHH! My heart broke into a zillion pieces!

And no -- Anakin's turn to the Dark Side is NOT OBI-WAN'S FAULT! I know HE may think so, but he's got that "certain point of view" thing going, so what can you do?

Way back at the start of this thread, folks were talking about Obi-Wan (and others) being redeemed by others (mostly Luke). Sorry -- but only you can redeem yourself. No one can do it for you. Vader had help from Luke... but in the end, it was his own choice to kill the Emperor and expose that little bit of good left in him. Yoda didn't need redeeming... neither did Obi-Wan. I'm sure HE felt like he needed to redeem himself -- which is why he answered Leia's call for help helped Luke discover his true potential. He risked his life coming out of hiding by doing so... and I'm sure he knew it would be his last mission.

Lucas has said that Episode II would be Obi-Wan's movie, so I can't wait to see exactly how this plays out!

cool.gif

6. URINAL BLOTH

URINAL BLOTH Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2000
    He deserves everthing he gets...Silly old fool!!!!!!

7. URINAL BLOTH

May 4, 2000
    He deserves everthing he gets...Silly old fool!!!!

8. Dorian

Dorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 1999
    Ohhhhh....such profound words from a boy who chooses to call himself urinal.

Maybe if you'd chosen "the crapper" we'd pay more attention. Crapper's a tad more masculine that "urinal."

9. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    ROFL Dorian! Yeah... Darth Crapper. I like that.

(By the way, Urinal, Ben was a "crazy old wizard" -- not a "silly old fool"!)

10. URINAL BLOTH

May 4, 2000
    Actually jane..he was a "Damn Fool" according to a certain Mr Solo...

11. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Hope this thread gets more intelligent posts because it's always been one of my favorites. Lots of interesting thoughts.

And Ep II had sure as heck better be Obi-Wan's movie and to do more than make him some kind of scapegoat for Anakin's fall. I will be very disappointed after GL has said it would be his film if it isn't.

12. Faces of Silas

Faces of Silas Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 1999
    I'm right with you on those thoughts, naw ibo.

I don't believe any of the Obi-Wan admirers will be given cause to be disappointed.

13. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    OK. I'm very sure I typed something here coz the topic went to the top but I can't find my message! So here it goes...again...

I think that Obi-Wan deserved much more than what he got in the end. He taught Anakin coz Qui-Gon asked him to, he made a lot of sacrifices and the thing is that he doesn't get redeemed in the end. Somehow the thing about his pride being the downfall of the galaxy still stays.

I don't believe that it was actually that that caused Anakin's downfall. I think Obi-Wan was just trying to defend a lot of people who were also responsible. It's a lot to take responsibility for something which is hardly your fault and risk losing someone (Luke).

Obi-Wan doesn't even get to have a family in the end. It's like Anakin had one and Obi-Wan is just standing there in the shadows without anyone noticing him. And in TPM his character wasn't very well developed.

Obi-Wan certainly deserves to be the greatest of the Jedi, even above Yoda (no offence to all Yoda fans). And I noticed that Yoda and Anakin didn't exactly appear the way he did (as in *POOF!* appear) to Luke, even though there were their faces in the fire.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by URINAL BLOTH:
    Actually jane..he was a "Damn Fool" according to a certain Mr Solo...

I was quoting Uncle Owen, not Han Solo!

cool.gif

15. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    I don't see how Obi could be blamed; the way I see it (just for the fun of it) is that it was the way of the force, then how could Obi have acted differently, thus eliminating the guilt!
    what's your take?

16. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObiWanJane:
    Oh my GOSH! I just spent close to an hour sifting through some of the first posts.... then realized there were SEVEN MORE PAGES to this thing! eek.gif
    B]

Well, the same thing happened to me in reverse order... I noticed that there were seven pages but I thought most of them were short articles so I started reading... And time passes really quickly... (You get the idea)

17. Thalia Starlighter

Thalia Starlighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2000
    It is wonderful to appreciate Obi-Wan Kenobi for the diamond that he is. A Jedi to the very core of his being. If anyone was ever born to be a great Jedi Knight it was Obi-Wan. I have often felt that he was a tragic figure, unfairly blamed for something he could not control. He should have been appalauded for his bravery and courage. His dedication and devotion to the Jedi way of life are lessons anyone can learn from. His nobility and truth shine like a morning star as does his wisdom. I am so greatful that we will be able to watch this dashing and heroic figure mature and walk into his destiny with his eyes wide open and his shoulders squared, ready to accept any and all tasks set before him that will accomplish the overall outcome of bringing balance to the force. It was Obi-Wan's sole destiny to "guardian" the balancing of the force. As it was Qui-Gon's destiny to discover its herald. I think the reason we all love Obi-Wan so much is that he is willing to accecpt responsibility for a job that is too gigantic for one person to handle, yet he focuses on the problem at hand however huge, whatever the outcome. We can put our trust in Obi-Wan. Ultimately, the fate of the universe was left in his capable hands, to chaparone to finality. After seeing the dynamic young man in TPM, the old hermit in the desert becomes an even more tragic and heroic figure, waiting for "the right time" to set the final wheels in motion, to right a wrong that took place so long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

xezene likes this.
  18. Faces of Silas

Faces of Silas Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 1999
    Pardon me for kicking this to the top, but I can't get the last post to show and I wanted to read it (even though I hit refresh about ten times, damn it). I was hoping a post might jar-jar something loose.

19. Darth Atari

Darth Atari Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2000
    OB1 is one of the most tragic characters in Star Wars... he's also rapidly becoming one of my top favorites... i know people have mixed feelings about the EU, but you all must read Rogue Planet as it really shines alot of light on the relationship of Anakin and Ob1 and, knowing what is going to happen, alot of it is actually pretty heartbreaking... (if you have read it and finished, pelase don't post any spoilers! i'm nearly done, but not there yet)

20. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Just to send this page up coz it deserves more replies...

21. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    Just look at Obi-Wan's face during Qui-Gon's funeral! *sniff*

22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    UP! I can't believe I almost forgot about this thread, it's one of my favourites...

23. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Valiowk:
    UP! I can't believe I almost forgot about this thread, it's one of my favourites...

And UP!!! again!

24. Aunt Darthy

Aunt Darthy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2000
    Apropos to this fine old thread, you might enjoy reading "The Obi-Wan Complex: Kenobi's Sin of Pride". The URL is:

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/obi_wan_tragic_hero_000502.html http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/obi_wan_tragic_hero_000502.html

xezene likes this.
  25. Jedi_Master_Padme

Jedi_Master_Padme Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2000
    What a great thread...up up and away!

I have read a lot of posts on this thread and I agree that OWK is a tragic hero and does bear most of the burden for his'failures'. However, Anakin was troubled when his training began and OWK knew the JC warned him that there would be trouble with his training. Maybe he thought his failure was in the fact he was so persistant to keep his promise to QGJ that he did not consider the consequenses of the JC being correct.

I think we can assume that Anakin has to choose his own path and that, IMHO, is not OWK fault at all. OWK could not change the events prior to meeting Anakin or the events where Anakin chooses of his own free will. The Jedi are used to training those that are young and their minds are free of all the emotional baggage that Anakin is dragging along. OWK had his work cut out for him from the day he kept his promise to QGJ.

I also think that the JC should have taken more responsibility in training him. As previously stated, OWK had JUST become a Jedi himself, yet they are entrusting the 'Chosen One' to him for training. I also think that the JC knew that whoever the Sith Master is, that they must be aware of the boy, since Maul found them on Tatooine, and they did not want him in the wrong hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.