main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Huh? 3 Gambit books???

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    LOVED all three Gambit books...maybe I'll re-read them too...:p

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wild Space, Gambit: Stealth, and Gambit: Siege.

4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh, I didn't think that Wild Space was a Gambit book. It doesn't say so on the cover! Not sure what it actually means anyway :D

5. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Same here, assumed Gambit was the latter two, but yes: three SW books by KM, and very entertaining.
    My favorite OC in Gambit (Siege) was Greti, of Torbel. Fascinating, and Obi-Wan's undercurrent of regret regarding her was very bittersweet, too. He accuses himself of becoming as bad as Qui-Gon at one point.. aw.

obimom likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I really want to write a story with Greti but the bunny is underdeveloped. Not sure if it'd be post-Siege, with Bail, or closer to Order 66...any thoughts welcomed.

7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Only to you would I willingly relinquish that bunny.....I'll email you.

8. Angelnumber25

Angelnumber25 Jedi Knight star 1

May 31, 2009
    I flew through Stealth, but it took me longer to get through Siege. I think out of the three Karen Miller books I enjoyed Wild Space the most because of the interaction between Bail and Obi-Wan. I just finished The Cestus Deception over break, and while it was a fun read, I just felt it was lacking in the Obi-Wan department. Maybe not that the character was totally off or anything, I guess I just thought he'd be in it more since it seemed like a feature novel, but it played out more like an ensemble story.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Wild Space and Siege were my favorites, although I liked the early part of Stealth - the musing on battle, Obi-Wan's capacity for play-acting. Personally, I thought the Bail & Obi-Wan interaction was a bit stiff and antagonistic for the sake of antagonism alone, and I didn't like the current of "sucking it up to play act the good Jedi" that ran through most of Wild Space. It really made seem like the Jedi really did not nothing but wear a mask in private and public both, and how demoralizing it was for the Jedi to know they were suppressing so much of themselves. I don't believe Jedi suppressed their personalities like that and I think the movies kind of back that up - they do express joy and sorrow, but they know not to allow emotions to direct their actions.

For better or worse, it also made it seem Yoda's insistance on "you HAVE no emotion, do what you must" was pervasive and stifling the entire Order. Strangely enough, by Siege, Yoda was far more in character - he worried, was gentle with Bail, feared for Obi-Wan and Anakin and generally showed emotion that Obi-Wan was almost terrified to show, let alone feel.

Cestus Deception: I really enjoyed Obi-Wan's interactions with the leader, but as you said, it was really an ensemble piece, not an Obi-Wan story as such.

LOE was good, but I don't particularly enjoy the last half or so - the tracking of Sidious, etc. Generally I read, reread, and reread a novel but that one I skim over the second part each time.

10. Angelnumber25

May 31, 2009
    Apparently there's a novel coming out in August that's focusing on Obi-Wan's exile on Tatooine in the period after Episode III, which will be interesting. I know Last of the Jedi is set in that period, but once it started to be all about Ferus I kind of went, "yeah, ok..." and stopped reading.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Hilarious. I read the first twp aloud to my kids when they were first published, but as soon as Ferus Olin took the spotlight, everyone lost interest... gee, wonder why.
    The Kenobi book certainly has potential in terms of time period etc. It's open territory, more or less. I hope the character portrait is rock-solid, or it will be disappointing.... but I'm hopeful.

12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I think Karen Miller took a while to get a handle on Yoda's character. Certainly, he came across as rather one-dimensional and unrealistic at the beginning of Wild Space, but improved a bit as the book went on. I didn't have a problem with Obi-Wan 'wearing a mask' with Bail at the start - this was a man he did not know and had no reason to trust, and the current situation might well have made him even more cautious than in the past. I think I'm just glad that the Jedi aren't portrayed as actually having no emotions!

I've 'sort of read' LOE and I agree with you about the second half. That's the bit that I have only skimmed through, although I intend to read it properly one day. I've also 'sort of read' Cloak of Deception (set before TPM) but found a lot of it rather boring, particularly the sections with the OCs.

Has anyone read The Approaching Storm?

13. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Apparently, it will focus on how he went from being 'Obi-Wan' to being 'Ben'. I get the impression that Obi has to learn how not to be a Jedi during the course of the book. It could be great or it could be completely off track!

14. Angelnumber25

May 31, 2009
    I've read The Approaching Storm, and remember enjoying it. But that was right when it came out before Episode II, so to say it's been a while is putting it lightly. :)

15. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I've just seen a YouTube vid of a three-year-old describing ANH (with Obi Kenobi, R2, 'the shiny guy' et al). She did quite a good job of it! :D

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Guys, I'm a FORCE GHOST now! Wahoo - I get to interfere/direct all of you now? Or just command/speak to/give directions? I'm top of the heap and blue (my fav color).

17. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    "An old friend has discovered the path to immortality."
    "...VAL???"
    "Hhhmmm... teach you to commune with her, I shall."

This excellent, Val. Instead of having to send you chapters to beta, you can just appear over my shoulder. It will save time and energy for both of us.

Valairy Scot, hlc88 and obimom like this.
  18. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Or, from a certain point of view, you are the first to kick the bucket.
    !!!

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Born from the Force and returned to it the same day...not bad.

20. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes well, don't set the bar too high. The rest of us will develop an inferiority complex.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You should probably, my minions. <cough>

obimom likes this.
  22. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
  23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Deb! Go read your conversation: I so command (and don't mock me: I have become more powerful than even you can envision).

The blue Ghostie.

24. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You can advise us for ever more then ;)

Perhaps you can 'scare' my muse into working and giving me the inspiration I need to finish this chapter!

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    @hic88:

Muse! Be a good little O:)or I'll see to it that you get a visit from [face_devil] .

hlc88 likes this.