main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well it has worked! Chapter is finished! Though I don't think its that good... but then it doesn't have Obi-Wan in it :(

Eryndil likes this.
  2. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder if Force Ghost status lends authority to your posts? Have you tried seeking out some Obi-bashing on another thread and appearing out of the blue (no pun) to reprimand them for ignorance?

3. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    I thought Val did that already! :D

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What do you think turned me into a ghost in the first place!

ruth baulding likes this.
  5. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Wow Force Ghost! ...wow. what does that mean...

I loved your story! Vader as a puddle.... too too good :D

Just got back from being away for awhile, but I wanted to say hi. Hi. ;) And if you've seen Jack the Giant Slayer, or you just love Ewan, or like me find the thought of good Obi-Wan carried through time to be all kinds of awesome as a medieval knight... I started a story in the Non SW fic section [face_blush]

obimom likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Force Ghost means - I spend too much time on here. [face_laugh] Got me some trophies, posted a lot of posts some of which were liked...

Yeah, I had this mental bunny consisting of "dead Luke, Obi-Wan looks over at him and Mr.-Almost-Never-Swears (really bad words)" and goes, "Oh, ****." That was the entire premise.

Good discussion point: does Obi-Wan swear?

In my canon, he thinks it uncouth. Yet, I can also believe Qui-Gon "washed his mouth out for a few mild swears" in his time, and I don't see it unreasonable for him to mildly swear. Now, as to if he ever really swore, the equivalent of the "F" word (about the worst *I* know) it's hard to say he NEVER did, but I like to think he was more like Winston Churchill who could insult with impunity at dinner parties and such (I'm sure everyone knows some classics of his).

Your choices:

A. No. He may use euphemisms, but doesn't swear (we'll allow him a few bad words every few years) - "Blast it," or "For the love of -"
    B. He uses mild swear words, not uncommon amongst any gender/age group. GFFA equivalent of, "Oh, hell."
    C. He matches Anakin - um, a longshoreman? - and cusses in language that would make a gentile person faint - but only when he knows said person won't faint.

laloga and serendipityaey like this.
  7. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I would say C for certain, but only very *rarely*! The worst of the worst situations. I like to think he's human under that perfect veneer. But mostly A? And a little B, again rarely? Am I allowed to pick all three? *blush* laloga and I have found (created) occasion for him to get entirely carried away and let slip that most uncouth of words that you mentioned, but perhaps we get extra creative when we write together :D

I think mostly A though. He has the perfect dry wit to not need to swear often.

laloga likes this.
  8. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I care less about the movie and more about where on Earth I can buy one of these ;):
    [​IMG]

laloga and obimom like this.
  9. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Um, all of the above? Or possibly none of the above!

I reckon that he is generally in control of his tongue (no innuendo intended!) as he is the rest of his behaviour. I'm sure he has a very inventive, cleverly subtle and highly offensive - yet utterly clean - line in insults. On the other hand, I bet that he let slip a few 'Sithspits' and stronger words in his youth and was duly reprimanded for them.

I also suspect that he is familiar with some incredibly filthy epithets, picked up over the years (some of them from Anakin) and, when sorely tried, he uses them inside his head - and very occasionally out loud. Maybe a few clones thought they heard something unexpected from the respectable General, but they decided that they must have been mistaken. The noise of the battle, you know...

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    "Sithspit" is not really a swear though used as such - the Sith is an actual, uh, whatever, and spit is real as well. I'd call that an euphemism. I agree (and Ruth writes so well) that Obi-Wan can be utterly offensive without actually using bad language. I think he prefers clever to profane, maybe a bit condescendingly - not consciously so, but a hint of "he's above coarse language."

Though I think perhaps internally he lets a few rip at times; as you say, he's human. I'm not especially fond of profanity - either overuse (every other word) or really dirty - but there are times when the milder swears just don't cut it.

FARK2005 likes this.
  11. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I tend to regard the Sith-related terms as similar to 'oh hell' as they take a word that is not in itself a swear word but use it as an expletive.

12. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I would say B but he is capable of C in certain situations.

Though since we are on the subject of swear words... in my crossover fic with Doctor Who, Obi-Wan will meet the Daleks... How would he react to them? Would he swear? I'm having fun writing this fic... can't wait to share it with you guys!!! :D

13. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010

So read, and so appreciated. Been busy, did not even get on here last night :eek:

Too tired. Have some time now to work on your suggestions and maybe even post? If I don't sent to you again for final thoughts...

14. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I think a good old fashioned "what in the blazes are those?" might hit the spot -- Daleks are a great topic for the crossover becasue he's likely to identlfy them as dorids initially, but them later realize that they are technically cyborgs a la Greivous. Their apparent immobility makes them rather unimpressive at first glance.
    And I double triple dog dare you to make him ask about the salt and pepper shakers at some point -

hlc88 and obimom like this.
  15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010

I can't wait. First I think he would see them at first as robots much like R2D2, but then he quickly realizes (senses sentient beings inside them) in an awful realization that there are sentient beings inside those machines..and it would really bother him. I see him a lot like the 10th Dr. in the sense that he would want to be sensitive to other living being and not want to kill unless it were the last resort..but in the case of the daleks, he may quickly realize there is not much choice because as we know daleks have only one purpose. However, I could see him trying to reason with one of them, with the Doctor. watching on in fascination...especially if Obi-Wan uses a Jedi mind trick...but would that work on a Dalek?

Maybe the first time if he caught one off guard.

I could see Obi and the Doctor mutually admiring one another...bec. they are in many ways so alike.

What would he say when he first sees one? He might put forth an invective or two, maybe...but what?

16. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Swearing - well, I let Obi-Wan swear now and then. But even then I try to be faithful to GL's basic rule, which has Obi-Wan employing a more antique idiom and turn of phrase (what the blazes, in the name of, for the love of, etc.) So when he lets one slip, it might be"son of a slatternly Hutt." or something like that. Anakin usually gets to say what he wants, and liberally sprinkles his dialogue with "kriffing" - although there's no basis for that in canon, really, it works to convey his no-bull, raised-a-slave character.
    I myself don't see swearing as particularly bad, just not very imaginative deployment of language. It's a natural, human, default mode - a /lapse/ in mental acuity and focus and control. And Obi-Wan, the strategist and silver tongued Negotiator, doubtless has a huge arsenal of expressive language to exhaust before he's reduced to such bland and lowbrow commonplaces as "kriff" or whatever. Acute pain, the extreme crisis situation, something like that... sure, why not? Especially in time of war.

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw, KRIFF, Ruth, you say it so much better ... [face_laugh]

ruth baulding likes this.
  18. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I may take that dare and use that....

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful! I want to get this right!

19. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Wow - slow room.

Where's all the Obi fans?

20. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    I'm here! *Waves to Deb.*
    :D

21. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
  22. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    It should have been Obi-Wan...but, I'm ok with it being Yoda...he's such a venerable part of SW, if it had been just about any other character, I would not have agreed with it.

Eryndil likes this.
  23. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Would it be OK if I make a couple of long, really boring posts about the number of Jedi in the Order and the size of initiate clans? They're full of very dull statistical estimates and I'm happy for people to ignore them, although comments would be welcome :D

24. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    post away. It all hinges on how many Jedi are in the Order, really. I have a guess based on approx 1,000 Jedi connected, if not permanently resident, at the Temple, including retired, healers, teaching masters, Knights "based" on Coruscant versus on journey missions, and younglings all told. But I've heard vastly differing numbers.

25. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    The number I've seen most often, in a couple of novelisations and 'reference' books, is 10,000. I think anything less would make them very thinly spread around the GFFA, but who knows? I've also seen far bigger numbers but I don't think they have any canon source.