main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    hlc88 best wishes on your exams...

Hi, Valairy Scot - thanks...it was a surprise, but at the same time I thought "It's about time"...I had been getting pretty frustrated about some things.

Do you walk your cat on a leash? I did ours years ago, but I"ve never trained Misi on it...she seemed too skittish about being outside...she seems content to set at her "Catio"..:)

I wondered what kind of "beta" ing you do for Ruth...:)

Hope your weekend is going well...how is your job?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Kahlua didn't need leash training...she begged to be out so I just tied a shoe string around her and found she liked to walk, so bought a leash. She stands up at the door and looks over her shoulder to indicate she wants a walk.

Brandy goes outside on a leash and plops. She prefers to watch the monitor and/or TV screen, to the point that she blocks my vision. Kahlua could care less about the TV.

As for beta'ing, I mainly look for Ruth's typos and occasionally pop in on characterization. Like an upcoming chapter, I thought (as did she) there was too abrupt a transition from X to Y. Even less often, I'll let her know I think something's not quite emotionally correct for someone (IMHO).

We had a fun exchange the other day - I thought she needed a "few more words" in transition (I'm the Queen of Too Many Words) and she's more of an allusionist.

obimom likes this.
  3. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Everybody needs a beta writer who has complementary strengths.
    Plus, Val forgot to mention that time when she saved Siri from being ravished on the spot. It took both of us to wrestle Obi-Wan into submission, and the passage ended up being much more suitable for general audiences. FF.N hasn't kicked me off yet, anyway, so that's something.

serendipityaey and obimom like this.
  4. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    FF.N hasn't kicked ME off yet, and some of those things I've posted... [face_love][face_love][face_love]
    Wrestling Obi sounds quite enjoyable but too too sad they couldn't have their fun!

ruth baulding likes this.
  5. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Very true and important, and one of the give and take things I really enjoy about writing! Which makes me very sad I've yet to find a new beta :_| good betas are hard to come by :(

6. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I can help! (I don't know how to advertise I'm a beta reader to people lol)

serendipityaey likes this.
  7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    They will have their day. I have a planet all picked out.
    But that's still years away yet...

8. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Good ravishing comes to those that wait...

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you! That's very kind! I write almost entirely romance, do you like romance? At the moment actually, I've been writing Jack the Giant Slayer instead of SW as well :/ My SW Obi muse was murdered :(

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You guys will LOVE this - I just found out my 10th great uncle or so was named.........Ewen MacGregor. :D

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    [face_love] meant to be!

12. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Cosmic synchrony!!!!!!
    Far out. Or, evidence that the Scotttish equivalent of 'John Smith' is just as undying and immutable as its English counterpart.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey, with all my Scots ancesters, there is only ONE Ewen - I've far more Stuarts, Stewarts, Kennedys, MacIntoshes, Hanna(h)s and Davidsons. You name the family, I've got them. The latter is my mom's maiden name.

14. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Aww, look. Cute, doomed love.
    [​IMG]

Jedi Master Kenobiwan and obimom like this.
  15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, sharing a blanket. Is that anything like jumping a broom in the GFFA?

ruth baulding likes this.
  16. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    They have each other's cooties now, my young ones would solemnly inform you.
    And a Jedi shall not share cooties with a girl.

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Ha-ha...

Ruth, thats great. Did you draw it or where did you find it?

and ruth baulding I"m even behind on your chapters now. I think between GP, Legacy and that new cute sounding little story, I have about five chapters to catch up I finished L5 the other night, so I want to go to that GP chapter next. I yes, I forgot, Iwanted to see if you fixed that little...erm...inconsistency :p

18. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh goodness, no - that art belongs to someone else, from deviantart. I was discourteous and posted it without looking up the artist's name... thus does the google image search seduce us into incivility

I didn't fix the inconsistency. I like to leave all the flaws in the stories like those traditional Japanese carpenters who always include an imperfection for the sake of humility. :p But you have a good point about the costuming not matching from scene to scene. As compensation, I had both the boys strip down to brass tacks in Legacy ch.10. Equal opportunity ogling and no bickering over one cloak among two Jedi.

obimom likes this.
  19. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Ooooh...sounds inticing....have tomorrow off...plan to do a little catching up reading

(did someone say housework? What housework???

Who has housework? LIttle droids come in and do for me...(in my fantasy);)

serendipityaey likes this.
  20. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Just make sure they are the kind that don't talk... as nice as it would be to have C3PO around to keep house, he never shuts up....

21. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    As it turns out I neither caught up on the reading nor did any housework...

We went out to breakfast yesterday morning, then went to an early matinee of Thor-The Dark World...really good movie...

And then I got called in to work this AM for a few hours...but in between have managed to read several chapters...er...I mean...Did some housework.....:D

22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    *crawls into thread*

Too much science stuff.... Exam on Tuesday and I'm just trying to remember the physical principles of CT, Nuclear Medicine and Ultrasound. Why did I pick a degree where I have a major science exam to sit and that is my worst subject???? Urgh... ok enough of my moaning...

I think when the exam is over I will be indulging in some Ewan... :D And hopefully catching up on the fic writing that I have completely neglected. Anyone reading The Protector do not expect an update next week on Tuesday... It will probably not appear until the end of the week, but more likely the week after it will appear.

23. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    These two you tube videos are a fascinating "what ifs" , this guys opinion of how eps 1 & 2 should have been, so in other words, a you tube AU...

He pretty much retells the movies the way he thinks they should have been done, with a main point I know we would all agree on...that Obi-Wan should have been the main character, the movies should have been about him wiht Ani being the side story. He is working on his version of ep 3, but these two videos were very interesting...and perhaps even if you don't agree with his whole AU scenario, you must agree that he has the one point spot on..that it should have been Obi-Wan's story more than Anakin's. The guy is pretty smart. I his ideas are pretty good....I would love to see the movies made the way he sees them (with Ewan as Obi-Wan,of course).

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Totally agree with him, good waffling. Love to see Obi-Wan the centre of attention.^:)^

25. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    You mean.... the story /isn't/ about Obi-Wan mainly? Am I fast-forwarding the wrong parts???:p

obimom likes this.