main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Ruth. [:D] Yes, I believe we'll be fine. But it is a bit jarring. I am feeling better.

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that, and yes, that does tend to make one feel violated. We were broken into several years ago, and the feeling of being violated was awful.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    [:D]

I am nearly done I think studying Peter's work. I'm interested in studying Ewan's. Any recs? :D I can handle quite a bit but it leaves effects. However, not that I'm saying he has, but if Ewan has done modern horror I'd prefer to avoid those.

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    The closest thing to modern horror he did was Night Watch…and it wasn't that bad. More suspense than anything. I liked it.

OH, maybe Shallow Grave, but its not really horror either, more of a dark humored with a touch of horror.

Impossible is wonderful, his acting superb in it. Moulin Rouge showcases his singing and romantic side. Beginners was also very good.

Trainspotting is considered one of his best, if you can handle pretty graphic heroin addiction. He has many other middle range movies that span several genres, that shows his range as an actor. I'll let others add to the recommendations.

5. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    My favourites are "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" and "Miss Potter". (Plus those mentioned above) "Big Fish" and "Perfect Sense" were also sweet.

ruth baulding likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I've seen Salmon Fishing in Yemen, Moulin Rouge, Beginners, Big Fish, and The Island. Impossible and Trainspotting sound intriguing. I am geared to drama and I like to consider what the story is that I'm watching. :)

7. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Have you seen "Young Adam"? It's listed as drama, and it certainly is very dark. Plus, you can see a lot of him, as you can in "The Pillow Book".
    "I love you, Phillip Morris" and "Men who stare at Goats" are comedies, and while "Cassandra's Dream" is a drama, it's not on my fav list.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Young Adam I would rather not see, thank you. Comedies tend to be dull for me as they are very often not funny. What is Cassandra's Dream about, please?

9. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    IMDB says, "The tale of two brothers with serious financial woes. When a third party proposes they turn to crime, things go bad and the two become enemies."

When the two brothers (one of whom is played by Ewan) need money, they turn to their rich uncle for help. He, OTOH, insists that they only get the money if they get rid of someone for him. Now they have to deal with their financial troubles, a moral dilemma, and each other.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That has all kinds of flags but it could be interesting to see how Ewan handles it.

11. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Please tell me how you liked it once you've seen it. I might revise my opinion of it.
    May I ask why you don't want to see "Young Adam"? As a film, it works much better than "Cassandra's Dream", IMHO.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    So I gathered. I've heard Ewan speak about Young Adam and it simply sounds like it explores a topic in a manner I don't wish to see and I am not keen overly on language or much nudity unless it truly is key to the story. In that case it probably is but I still don't want to see it.

Thank you for the offer, Nanuk. I am rather known for seeing things differently. :p

13. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I think you would enjoy Miss Potter very much. Also Ewan is brilliant in Nora but it contains one or two explicit bedroom scenes which might be a turn off. Brassed Off is an early film with a very charming storyline, as well, and nothing offensive.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, Ruth. :) I can handle sex but it is true I don't often care for the approach taken with such content in film. *Starts complying list of Ewan films to look into*

15. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    LOL Ewan was so brilliant in "Nora" that the bedroom scenes there disturbed me much more than in "Young Adam". LOL

If you like character studies, I can recommend "Perfect Sense". The whole film is a study of human nature.

(Oh, and if you like to see Ewan as himself, "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" are great to watch.)

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I *love* character studies, Nanuk! Thanks. :D I tend to focus on and follow one man in my viewing. I very rarely like a film or book in an over all sense. It can happen but it's very rare because I'm particular about details and how tone and message strike me. Yet, with some I see much more of the real man through his characters than others. I feel Ewan may be such a case if so...I may consider watching content I otherwise wouldn't to see what Ewan may 'teach' me as I have with Peter. :) Human nature is a fascinating and very complex thing.

17. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    *pops in*

hey Obi-Fans!

good to see you all :p

CA: I recommend Miss Potter if you haven't seen it, rather good actually

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    :eek: You're in the Obi thread, mate? :p

I haven't actually, no. With your rec with knowing me much better than most I will def look for that. Thanks. [:D]

Nanuk: I tend to prefer the real man if I have a choice. Thanks for those recs are they the ones about his bike trips?

19. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Indeed - and they are lovely to watch. Ewan and Charlie are a riot. [face_laugh]

ruth baulding likes this.
  20. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    CA: I think you'd like the scenery in Miss Potter, and the fact it's a drama helps too! :D

hallo Nanuk, your username reminds me of The Lost Boys :p

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nanuk: I'll look for them they sound fascinating. Though not sure I'd have access being in the US.

Rick: It's certainly likely, yes. Drama speaks to me unlike you Mr I Just Want to have Fun. :p Kidding. I know you can be serious you put up with me after all. [:D]

I am currently giving Nora a go. Not certain if I'll finish it.

22. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Merkual: "Lost Boys" as in the Kiefer Sutherland film or Peter Pan? o_O LOL

Cushing's Admirer: My fingers are crossed that you can get the DVDs. Since in "Long Way Round" they go through the US, you should be able to do so. (If you decide to get the DVDs, try to find the 3-disk version). The book is nice, too, but it's much better to see and listen to Ewan's spirit - and see the boys suffer while dri ... walking through mud.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nanuk: Oh, I don't know. I think I'd try both to attempt to gain the most insight into Ewan's experiences and personally I get more out of a book in certain ways than I do a chat. Often writing is less guarded than speech particularly if it's known it's intended for listeners.

Right. Turned Nora off. I appreciate what they seem to be saying or trying to but IF I watch it it won't be with my father in the room.

24. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Cushing's Admirer, in this instance I think Ewan and Charlie were less guarded "live" than in the book, which in contrast to the series seems very "polished" to me. After all, they spent three months in front of a camera, and it seemed to become a part of the group. They certainly didn't mind swearing in front of it. :) (And the pictures of their surroundings, plus their grime, certainly intensify the experience.)

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It may depend on the person. It may also be a difference of perception between us. Regardless if I did this I'd strive to do both to give Ewan the respect he deserves. Though I do not particularly care for his manner at times. To me, language is very rarely needed and rarely strengthens a point. *Shrugs*