main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Which very true observation remiinds me of Karen Traviss' CW novel no Prisoners, where we meet some HIPPIE Jedi. Anyone else read that one? There's about one page of Obi Wan in it somewhere...

laloga likes this.
  2. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    No worries! My brain is playing "Twister" right now - trying to write a chapter but far too distracted by this conversation to string coherent sentences together...

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Haven't read Karen Miller's books. But in the Republic comics there was Master Zao who literally went where the Force took him. He wasn't even really a Jedi, since he acted outside of the Order, but still allied himself with other Jedi when such opportunities arose. Like a leaf blown by the winds of the Force, he'd say. He was all about reaching harmony with the world, to the point that the self did not matter, per se, and neither did the Order, since he was more concerned with serving the Force than the Republic.

But Yoda's order was leaning toward stagnation. Yoda himself even realizes it when he's fighting Palpatine. He realizes that the Jedi have been training themselves to fight the Sith of 1000 years ago, and have not adapted, while the Sith themselves clearly have.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But Todd, not adapting to "fighting the Sith" does not necessarily equate to stagnating in all aspects (though it doesn't mean such may also be occurring).

I am not making a case that the Order was perfect as it was. It wasn't. No organization ever is. But I don't think overall they were proven to be so out of touch as many others have said (the cloistered monks out of touch with the ordinary citizens - see, they did interact all over the galaxy although it is true it was more interaction with certain groups rather than just individuals, etc.).

Much of the "out of touch" arguments come from those who lay a majority of the blame for Anakin's fall at the feet of the Order - they didn't adapt to his needs, didn't recognize his needs, etc. All of which is true. To a degree. But OTHER than Anakin, their ways did work for them until a clever Sith put his subversive plans into play and played on Anakin. How could the Jedi adapt to something they never saw coming?

Todd, you *may* say that here is evidence they stagnated, but I've never seen anyone suggest a plausible "this is what they should have done" and why they should have seen what was coming.

FARK2005 and serendipityaey like this.
  5. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Karen Traviss - the OTHER CW author. I know, two Karens. It's like a clique.

There is definitely this idea that the Order had dwindled in numbers over time, by the start of TPM. But is that due to institutional decrepitude or to a massive shift in the balance of the Force?
    Is it a stagnating institution or a stalwart remnant? I think there's different interpretations possible. The Senate and the Republic are stagnating, certainly, and they welcome Sith rule "to the sound of thunderous applause" as Padme puts it. But it takes a massive conspiracy and galaxy wide war to bring a few thousand Jedi down... rather vigorous folk for a hokey religion whose light has gone out from the world etc....
    Just an alternative pov.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Valairy Scot

Oh yeah, it's only one aspect of their stagnation, but there is other evidence of stagnation in other areas. But stagnation is not always bad, since it might mean the Jedi have peaked and have no need to change their ways. And the Jedi have been feared and misunderstood by the public many times in their history.

The Order is not to blame for Anakin's fall. Not entirely. That has mostly to do with Palpatine and his machinations.Things could have turned out much better for the Order had Anakin not turned and/or Qui-Gon had lived. They had much capability to do good, but Palpatine and his predecessors poisoned the galaxy to the point that the Jedi were becoming obsolete fast. There was no way they could have been prepared for such treachery by the Sith, since they were used to these impatient and headstrong warriors of an age gone by.

Also, FYI I'm drawing bits and pieces from the ROTS novel, so I may be off on a few details. But that's where Yoda contemplates the his failure in leading the Order.

Ah, look at us discussing the fundamentals of the Jedi Order in an Obi-Wan appreciation thread! How in-depth these discussions come!

7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm sure Obi-Wan would approve.
    [​IMG]
    "I say, Anakin, have you read my Appreciation thread lately?"
    "No, master, you know I only read my OWN Fan Club stuff."
    "Yes, well, you should have a look at mine sometime. It might expand your intellectual horizons."
    "Listen, master, if I want to be bored to death I'll just ask you to lecture me about the Force, okay?"
    ""What is that supposed to mean?"
    "I'm just saying. Can we please get on with the fight now? My fans like a good fight more than all this philosophy stuff."
    "Yes, all right.... carry on. And this time TRY to present a bit of a challenge... we wouldn't want the ladies to die of boredom."

obimom, hlc88 and Valairy Scot like this.
  8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ha ha.

Anakin: "MY thread oohs and ahs over my romance with my wife - um, that is if I had a wife."
    Obi-Wan: "MY thread oohs and ahs over me, you young - wife?"
    ANakin: "Your thread oohs and ahs over your lightsaber and - hey - " pouts.
    Obi-Wan: "That's all right, my young and less - um, endowed - with great fans Padawan."

In other words, Todd, we are women - standing tall and proud, debating philosophy and taking Obi-Wan's measure at the same time.

."

obimom and Todd the Jedi like this.
  9. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Read that one! It was pretty good - lots of Rex action, which made me happy :D - but there was also the fascinating mention of the Altisian Jedi, a sect of Jedi who were "allowed" to have families and romantic relationships, who could take more than one Padawan at a time, and who came into the Order as adults, rather than children...pretty much how the Jedi Order evolved in the New Republic, under Luke's guidance.

While I don't know that it's ever stated as such, it seems like it's implied in the Altisian Jedi sect that attachment and love are not one and the same, (looking at you, serendipityaey [face_love]), and that it is possible for a Jedi to have a family and still do his or her duty. I've often wondered how the Jedi would have been affected had this been the "norm" rather than the traditional Order that we see in canon. Would Anakin have "fallen" if he'd not had to hide his relationship with his wife, or if he could have been left with his mother a bit longer so that he could come into the Order with a clear understanding of what it was he was doing? I also wonder how Obi-Wan would have handled himself as an Altisian; still a paragon among Jedi, I know, but I wonder if he'd have gotten married, or something. Hmmm...

serendipityaey likes this.
  10. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Yay for clone action! I've started that book, but I got distracted or something [face_alien](Ana wanted me to use this face, and Valairy Scot she loves your avatar, she says 'Where Jedi?') And I love the idea of the Altisian Jedi, I think I was first introduced to them in your story laloga. Although, I have to point out I believe it to be fundamental that love and attachment are not the same thing, not something you could choose or leave behind. Maybe it's something they really emphasize and in turn encourage love, instead of not addressing it.

laloga likes this.
  11. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Very true, very true. :) I think one of the main ideas behind the Altisians was choice: a person can make the choice to join the Order, or not; a Jedi can choose a to have a family, or not. In the end, there's more than one way to be a Jedi - so I believe the Altisians think, anyway. :p I do think that they chose to embrace the fact that people have a tendency to want to form bonds, and rather than say "no," they tried to figure out a way to make it work.

Also...Obi-Wan. [face_love] (Don't want to get too off-track! ;))

12. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I have a draft story in which Obi-Wan meets Djinn Altis. I drew it up after reading the book. the two have it out philosophically - like this thread. Obi-Wan ultimately is respectful, listens... and is not convinced. They end on good terms, agreeing to disagree.
    There was also an exploding nuclear reactor plant in the story too. You know.
    But Altis as a character was a fun add-in, a foretaste of New Republic Jedi, and I thought too bad that Obi-Wan doesn't encounter them in the novel.

laloga likes this.
  13. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    I wish that the Altisian Jedi were explored in actual canon, (like TCW), not just the EU. I feel like they present an interesting counterpoint to the traditional Order as we see it, and I'd like to see the canon Jedi - like Obi - interact with the Altisians. As you say, ruth baulding, I think they'd have some great discussions. In the No Prisoners novel, I think only Anakin and Ahsoka meet Altis, though (I believe) there is a mention of Yoda and Altis not being on great terms. ;)

14. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought it said that Yoda and Altis exchanged correspondence. Great touch - ! But of course, Altis is on the outs with the mainstream Order. In general, I just liked the idea of Jedi heretics. It lends a kind of depth and realism to the Order, a historical flavor. Anything that old and that formal has to have its scissions and sects, right? And internal differences. The Altisian Jedi were not big on the war either - they were commmitted to humanitarian relief, not to fighting. So there's another interesting divide. a "neutral" party within the Jedi ranks! As Generals in the war, both Obi-Wan and Anakin seem to have decided that fighting is the best or only way to defeat the Sith, despite the moral ambiguity of "peacekeeprs" leading an army.
    And another occasion for angst. It would be fascinating to explore what happens to such "alternative" lifestyle Jedi during the Purge, etc, as compared to the really lonely fate of Old Ben on Tatooine.
    Just wondering...

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of heretics, Leor Hal was expelled from the Order for his philosophy of the Potentium. I guess he was considered much more extreme than Altis and his followers, since he believed there were no "sides" to the Force, and that darkness only existed within individuals, rather than the Force itself.

16. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Yes...yes it would. [face_whistling]

17. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Another alluring concept! Might have to mind-trick Madame Nu into letting me see some of those forbidden texts with all the heretical stuff in them. hm.

18. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Eye of the Storm: Alchemy is one of my most absolute favorite fics, and that's saying a ton since Obi only makes an appearance [face_love] But I so much love the idea of some of the Jedi being able to create a safe haven, and have a good re-start even while fighting the empire, but have a life too. I love the world you created and I really enjoyed being able to read Altis in your fic [face_love]

laloga likes this.
  19. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Good for you, laloga. /scurries off to find story/

20. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Here you go, ruth baulding. :D Fair warning: it's the third fic in a trilogy...

And thank you, serendipityaey! That fic wouldn't have been possible without your help. [face_love]

21. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Go get him, Ruth. Edit: Your brother - I'm days late into this discussion. At a near standstill on my next chapter and decided to break away and see what's going on here. Like the discussions, a lot of allusions to what I'm basically writing (in my own simplistic way) :)

Anyway, Ewan worked his arse off getting the character of Young Obi-Wan like old Ben as played by Sir (Oh, what's his name). He did such a good job that other than his fantastic looks, Ewan basically disappeared into the role of Obi-Wan..and even with his looks, I see Obi-Wan when I see him in SW, not Ewan...

Anyway, on your question Val,
    I thought about Diane's story - Betrayal. She wrote Obi-Wan as having followed the Council's edicts seemingly w/o question, or not too much of it anyway..and under threats and duress he lived as a great Jedi for years, but under pressure and it nearly destroyed him when his eyes began to be opened to the truth. It wasn't until he met with Qui-Gon again years later that he began to more "follow" the force rather than the edicts of the Council..if I recall. I need to read that again..such a fantastic story. I don't know if this has much to do with your questions but that was the first thing I thought of.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Deb, no, you don't really address the question because in Betrayal Obi-Wan questioned more the practices of the Order, less so the will of the Force. Of course, by story's end, everything was so intertwined and mixed up that he couldn't separate the Force from machinations and was rather disillusioned, but not with the Force itself.

23. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Seasonal fun. I have pumpkins on the brain.
    [​IMG]

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sorry, no photo for me.

25. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I have trouble seeing images sometimes, too .... anyone have a brilliant techie trick for that???