main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Satine isn't that bad of a character but her and Obi-Wan? Maybe I'm set on Siri and Obi-Wan or Obi-Wan and Ventress but Satine doesn't have the same spark as the other two do.

2. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Maybe it's one of those things that depend entirely on your point of view or the age of the lady in question? ;) Some people could also argue that Siri was Obi-Wan's first love and the both of them were still young, passionate and eager, inexperienced and optimistic.
    I can't deny I'm a little biased when it comes to Satine, all due to Ruth Baulding's excellent story arch about her relationship to Obi-Wan. Two people who renounce their love for each other because of their duties feel very mature to me, and their relationship is ultimately more dramatic and as such more interesting for me.
    I mentioned before that my favourite lady is Taria, little as we know about her, for much the same reasons as stated above.

3. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I did not see the CW story arc about Satine...and being a big SiriWan fan (just check out my stories) ;), i was very leary about this "new" love interest for Obi...but then Ruth wrote her wonderful story...it was perfect...and it fit just right into the story as known from CW...and that is where I accepted Satine more....it is still my favorite Satine story.

I might even read it again pretty soon...especially if Ruth keeps putting off posting another chapter in Legacy...eh, Ruth? ruth baulding

Also, Valairy Scot...if you're around...Hello! We've missed you! Hope we see you around again soon...

4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Because most people here are SiriWan fans... At least that is what I've seen on this thread.

I remember owning the Jedi Apprentice books and never clocked onto the idea of Obi-Wan and Siri... I since sold the books years and years ago. After that TCW was the first time I saw Obi-Wan have feelings for someone... and it struck with me... And I felt that those two were meant to be... Two very different people, but who still love one another. I think they'd be able to make it work if they were able to.

I have caught up on Siri again but I just don't understand the appeal. But that's me.

serendipityaey likes this.
  5. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    LOL At one point I wondered why I'm fine with all of these ladies and then decided that they were special because it was Obi-Wan who fell in love with them. And, after all, he didn't fall "out" of love with either one. LOL

6. obimom

Oct 31, 2010

Yes, if you read the JA books but not the extra books, like Secrets of teh Jedi (which details how Obi-Wan and Siri fell in love and then had to renounce it, which was told rather unsatisfactorily by Jude Watson), I can understand why you never saw them being together...because in the main JA books...they were friends and comrades..nothing more.

Most of us are Siriwan fans I guess, but many of those who have been Siriwan fans do like the other love interests that have been introduced...like Satine and Taria.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Wow...this board sure has been quiet lately....and some of the main contributors have been absent recently...Valairy, Ruth, Ashley, Geri, to name a few.

I know things are busy, but I hope to see some familiar faces here soon...as well as the new people who have come around.

serendipityaey likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for explaining. :)

I, personally, just can't correlate romance/love with Jedi because they forbid attachment and lie about and deny emotions. However, that isn't to say I think Jedi should be without love, just that I don't agree with the Jedi forbidding something everyone needs.

9. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Isn't that one of the major issues that Jedi have to deal and come to terms with? I think that they are allowed love, though they are, as you said, forbidden attachment.

That's probably the reason I love Karen Miller's "Stealth" so much: We get to know that Yoda is well aware of Obi-Wan's love for Taria, but he also knows that Obi-Wan will be able to let her go. After all, how can you feel empathy for someone if you can't love?

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yet, how do you love without investing?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Mythology comic in Star Wars Tales has Qui-Gon teaching Obi-Wan why the Jedi are so distrustful of romance, using a parable.

"A Jedi shall not know fear, or hatred or anger ... or love, for it will consume you and lead to the dark side."

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Hence why I say they deny what we need.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's less "deny emotions" as "insure one is not controlled by those emotions".

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Doesn't seem to be by what's shown.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As Obi-Wan puts it in ROTJ "They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor".

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's incongruous.

17. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Of course you can invest, but why should you expect anything in return? Love, at its best, is selfless and without expectations, I think, so one would be able to "give" love because of oneself.
    To love someone does not actually mean that you attach yourself to them, IMHO. You acknowledge that you love them, that's all - and that's no small thing either.

serendipityaey and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the explanation but I don't agree. Love is mutual or at least it should be.

19. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Do we need to be loved by someone? ;) Wouldn't it be enough that we love?
    Well, maybe we need it, but then we're not Jedi. I still think that a Jedi should not crave a recognition of his love, or depend on someone else's love and good opinion of them. A Jedi, to be a Jedi, should love/ feel empathy without superior motif or expectations of "a reward" of any kind.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, I would say so. No, it's not. I agree but that isn't what mutual love is if it's properly handled.

21. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    But why should love be "mutual" for Jedi? Isn't that restricting them - restricting their love to one other person when they should feel compassion for everyone?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering that the vast majority of the 100 quadrillion or so citizens of the Republic will never meet this particular Jedi.

23. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    More time he can spend with me then. [face_laugh]

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, many will have seen his exploits thanks to the Holonet.

RoTS novel:

Younglings throughout the galaxy know their names, know everything about them, follow their exploits as though they were sports heroes instead of warriors in a desperate battle to save civilization. Even grown-ups are not immune; it's not uncommon for an exasperated parent to ask, when faced with offspring who have just tried to pull off one of the spectacularly dangerous bits of foolishness that are the stock-in-trade of younglings everywhere, So which were you supposed to be, Kenobi or Skywalker?

Nanuk and obimom like this.
  25. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    So how long has it been?

Hello everyone.