main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    C'mon - it's VERY decent. (His head, I think, is JUST a bit smallish there.) There's also a bare-chested Ewan in The Island.

So, you talented photoshop folks - do you enlarge the photo to get an accurate tracing? I never have mastered any of that stuff (I have Elements 6.0 - also Lightroom but I don't think the latter does this) - I can't even get layers down when I have the instructions right in front of me (and I perfectly understand the concept as a photographer).

2. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, if it's belly buttons you like, this is your man...

[​IMG]

;)

ruth baulding likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't apologize! You put a head on the torso which is WAY more than I can do. And Obi-Wan is just not Obi-Wan without his head - yeah, the body is fine, but we need the whole man, including his lightsaber.

;)

4. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Speaking for myself, I tend to go up to 200% or 400% when I'm working on a photo in Photoshop but it starts to pixelate if you go too high and that makes it hard to see the detail. I spend a lot of time zooming in and out again! My brother is an artist who does a lot of work on screen so he's given me tips about layers and stuff. I don't have the talent or patience to do the things he does though - it sounds very complicated.

Do you know every film in which Ewan appears bare-chested? ;)

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Umm...no...nor every one where he exposes his lightsaber - but I know a lot of them.

BTW, loved your story - was it just on ff.n?

6. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, it seems like a very useful thing to know :)

Thanks very much. It's only on ff.n at the moment, but I'll post it over here shortly.

7. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    The magnetic lasso is very useful when carefully tracing the planes and contours of Ewan's body... I fit to screen so I can get the full picture - a good tight fit. Getting the right size head is the hardest part!

Sigh...

Love the picture, Eryndil! The tattoo and the lightsaber were a good touch. When I'm pasting images together, for example, I cut the head out and save it to its own doc and then adjust the pixel size up and down, pasting to the body each time until it looks right.

8. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah yes, I used the magnetic lasso on Ewan's body too. It didn't quite catch everything though, so I had to go in very close so that I could stroke along the lines of his chest. I didn't want to miss anything.

I must admit, I tried changing the size of his head several times but I just don't have the eye for it - I can't tell if it's right or not.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    obimom and ruth baulding like this.
  10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    With the mouse, and the lasso tool these days is very, very good. Quite smooth. I do not have an artists steady hand at all, but it comes out fairly well on its own. It outlines all on its own based on color shades. That picture of Ewan for example would cut out easily on its own as long as you were close except for that one spot on his left arm where the black shadow in the back matches the black of his coat. That's the only spot you'd have to 'line' on your own

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    And I love that he's rocking the Obi look! I can totally use these pics for my au!

12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    That's a lot of photos of Ewan walking in that article! I guess it is important to see him from different angles, and I'm glad they described what he was wearing in so much detail in case we didn't notice the style of his shoes :D

Now, if we can get photos like that over the next 15 years or so, we will be able to use them to fill in the gap between ep3 and ep4 - just make the hair and beard a bit more grey etc!

I don't have a 'pen' so I just use a mouse (my brother has some fancy graphic tablet thing, which is supposed to be very good). The lasso tool is good for some stuff but it depends on the background. You sometimes have to fall back on the polygonal lasso and do it manually.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Um, 'k, I have a Magic Wand and a lasso tool. Magic Wand grabs one color; lasso traces. But then my choices are "deselect" and crap - ie I haven't a clue how to pull "Ewan" from the picture.

Okay, I can "cut" Ewan leaving the background. I don't think I want to remove him (unless I want to create a 2nd layer and add him?) I have NO idea what the next step is and tracing with the mouse is horrible!

14. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I have no idea what these lassos and things are, but I must say I have a sudden desire to own one, the better to um... "capture torsos" with....

15. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    For instance, is this ultimate result of using the magnetic lasso on Obi-Wan? Just wondering...
    [​IMG]

obimom and Valairy Scot like this.
  16. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    [face_laugh]....It seems like that. :p

17. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    In order to achieve those results, you musn't forget to bring along the magic handcuffs too.

ruth baulding likes this.
  18. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    If you just want the bit with Ewan in it, you can outline him (using magic lasso or polygonal lasso - whichever works better) then cut and paste into another photo with the background you want. I find it easier to remove the background though, rather than the figure. You can do that in bits (whereas you wouldn't want to cut Ewan into bits).

I'm having a go at 'aging' Obi using a pic of Ewan and one of Alec Guinness. Is it ironic that I am using the 'clone tool' on him? :eek:

19. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Clone tool????
    Lassos?? Cutting and pasting???? this is taking on a freakish, Jenna Zan Arbor, kind of feel to it.

20. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Just got a simple question for you all. Do you have any good suggestion for some good SW novels that Obi-Wan is one of the main characters? If you have, I'll be glad to hear it. Thank you. :)

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    [​IMG]Okay, I got a very bad Ewan cut out and saved it, but adding (pasting) - do I do this with layers? :_| I cannot get layers to work for me no matter how many tutorials I watch and books I read and in concept it is SO EASY. I totally understand it, just cannot do it. You wouldn't do a collage to put your elements together would you?

Help me Obi-Wan fans, you're my only hope.

22. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    What program do you use, Val?

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Maybe you have an older version of Photoshop? :confused: Magic Wand annoys the crap out of me, It doesn't work for me at all. With my magnetic lasso, I trace with the mouse, the figure of Ewan, say, and I try to get close but it doesn't have to be exact - the lines automatically cling to the outline you are nearest too. Like if I were to do that picture, I wouldn't get all those yellow bits of the background because the line automatically clings to the line where the black ends on its own. If I come to a section where the line is unclear (the black of his jacket and the black of the shadow in the background) I click points along where I guess his arm is so it creates a manual line and then when I get back to where I started it hooks up with the starting point (sometimes I have to double click) and it 'selects' Ewan. So there's a blinking dotted line around him. From there I copy and then I paste onto a new document, so I have *just Ewan*. Sometimes I have to do a tiny bit of clean up around the edges. Then from there I select all (which is all of Ewan and just him because he's the only thing on the new doc) and I paste to whatever background I want to put him on. If it doesn't fit or look right I delete it, go back to the just Ewan doc and play with sizing and coloring, and then select all, copy and then paste on background.

On the doc with the background and Ewan, you've now created two layers - background and Ewan, which you can manipulate separately or flatten later. You can't create layers from an already flat image - a jpeg of Ewan. You only create layers yourself when you copy, paste, add to a picture.

Does that help at all?

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    The idea of the 'magnetic' lasso is that it clings to the outline on it's own - you only have to be close and it should do the rest on it's own, but maybe older versions didn't work that way?

25. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    You have to get out the handcuffs while he's weary and sleeping, I've found... he might not admit it out loud, but he likes it ;)