main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If he decided to be with Satine, chances are he'd be burnt to a crisp by now. :p

2. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Even if he hadn't become a Jedi, I can only see him doing good, somewhere. He's a genuinely good person, kind, fair and warm. I think that him being a Jedi and having this power was one of the ways the Force worked something right, because he's just so right. However, if he wasn't a Jedi, I can see him being a humanitarian or an ambassador, something like that.

3. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Before the prequels I never thought much about Obi-Wan’s exile on Tatooine – it seemed almost… natural in the OT. But then when I saw the ending of RotS, I suddenly realised that this great man, who at that time is still in his prime, is going to spend more than twenty years living as a hermit, and that saddened me immensely. Obi-Wan deserved a much kinder fate.

What Obi-Wan’s life would have been like if he hadn’t been a jedi is a difficult question to answer – the possibilities are endless. What kind of person he would be would pretty much depend on the environment he was raised in: Obi-Wan raised in a safe environment by loving parents would be very different from orphaned Obi-Wan raised by outlaws in a dangerous and ever changing environment.

serendipityaey and laloga like this.
  4. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    A personal favorite plot bunny. Mandalore as a whole different kind of place with a VERY interesting rulership. Burnt to a crisp? You mean by the Duchess herself??

5. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan being burnt to a crisp, with Satine at the trigger of the flamethrower. :p

6. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
  7. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought she was a /pacifist/????

8. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    That wise-crack never gets old. [face_rofl]

That warehouse full of evidence begs to differ. [face_rofl]

serendipityaey likes this.
  9. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    She burns warehouses down, he lops people's arms off in bars. Seems to me they have a nice vibe together.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Between them: hot tea!

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Maybe if she owned it, but she's just annoying. Instead of wanting to be there for him, she only wants him to be there for her.

I do like the touch of violence, lol :)

12. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Scalding tea, Val.
    And I perceive that you, Ash, are not a Satine fan. !! I myself woudl like to kill her just to get my hands on those fab earr-rings that look like shark teeth thingys. very primal=triblaistic, really, for such a pacifist.

13. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I wanted to be a fan! I can't get behind the dramatics. Or the sobbing. She has a lot of bone looking adornments...

14. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    "You're late for breakfast, dear."
    The Duchess' royal consort merely cocked an eyebrow at her and waved a casual hand, causing the teapot to levitate its way across the burninshed tabletop without spilling a drop - a display of uncanny skill that never failed to alarm the servants and annoy the Duchess herself.
    Satine Kryze set her own empty cup down with vexed precision, and favored her companion with a smoldering look.
    "I was delayed," this person said, savoring the bitter brew - an import from some farflung colony world - "By the paperwork ensuing upon your temper tantrum at the shipping docks yesterday."
    "Tantrum?" the lady fumed. "I will not tolerate the presence of such vile filth on Mandalorian soil. Corruption must be dealt with swiftly and decisively."
    "Yes, well, sadly, my dear, you have also destroyed all the evidence of corruption. Might I recommend a more restrained approach next time?"
    Satine sniffed dismissively. "Restraint is not the Mandalorian way."
    "So I have had occasion to observe," came the wry reply.
    At this point one of the footmen had sufficient lack of wit to make an off-color remark about this exchange - before the sly muttered jest had left his lips, his right arm was lying upon the exquisitely expensive carpet.
    The lightsaber's blade hissed back into its hilt. Obi-wan tossed down the remainder of his tea.
    "How many times must I tell you," Satine demanded, furiously,"Not to maim our domestic staff at the breakfast table??"

.....Hm. Maybe it wouldn't work out so well after all.

Valairy Scot and obimom like this.
  15. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    His simmering frustration is obvious.

16. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    She's so extreme! There's no middle ground with her...what was that about someone dealing in absolutes? :p

17. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Exactly how I saw him before the prequels. Jude Watson and then teh prequel, especially with Ewan McGregor playing him, opened my eyes to what a tragedy Tatooine really was for him...how much he lost, how much he gave up. And yes, a great Jedi, exiled in his prime. At his age, Qui-Gon was still training Xanatos.

I've been thinking a lot about attachment and love for the Jedi because of my story recently.

In Christianity we have the basic tenets of the faith that are unchanging, and then we have the "laws" made by flawed men in their particular sect of Christianity that is open to interpretation. I mean, a person can hold to the basic tenets, but the laws made by men that, although obeyed by most who follow that sect, there are those who would "follow the leading of the Lord" but not always the laws of the sect...

Thats how I see the force. Qui-Gon was famous for this - he saw the code as perhaps a "law" as part of the Order, but that didn't stop him from following the force - hence his insistance that the force wanted Anakin to be trained even though it went against the "laws" of the order, as just one example.

Thats why in my story, Yoda even realizes that the "force" is not necessarily bound by the code, and Obi-wan and Siri are struggling with how in spite of the code, the force seems to be putting them together. They're struggling with the issue of attachment and the code, etc. I'm struggling to work it all out so it makes at least some sense for my story;)

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sounds to me like you've got it all figured out already, even if Obi-Wan and Siri haven't.

Good one, Ruth.

19. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well I like Satine as you all know but I respect your opinion to like who you do and prefer Obi with. Though I might write a Mandalore story one day if I ever get the time... the plot bunny has taken root in my head!!!

20. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    I rather like Satine myself. She's a hoot and I strongly recommend writing that Mandalore story. I had a blast with my version, very entertaining all the way around. I'd like to read yours one day.

21. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Sometimes joking around or speaking off the cuff can seem disrespectful, I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I think her character has a wealth of potential, but honestly I do find the way she's written in the show to be annoying at times, but I don't want it to seem personal. The stories that she's had so far have been written in a way that's overwhelmingly dramatic, simplistic and manipulative.

She argues with Obi-Wan for no real reason. She needs his help desperately, which is fine, but doesn't offer anything in return to set up the possibility of a *real* relationship connection (no matter how generous Obi-Wan is a real bond between two people cannot exist without give and take on *both* sides) between the two (as friends or otherwise). And she's a temperamental, prone to extremes 'pacifist' which I actually love as an idea, but like I said, she doesn't own it, she doesn't make it fun, she's completely obtuse to it, which makes her seem really out of touch with reality.

She was thrown into the Hardeen arc as an afterthought - there was no set up or explanation as to why she was even there, if they'd even had any contact since the last time, and why she'd have reason to even be on Coruscant or one of seemingly few at the burial and then instead of giving her a scene of complex, deep emotional substance they just have her sob, rather loudly and somewhat embarrassingly as if to shout - SEE! They loved each other!!! - in the easiest, simplest, most manipulative way without putting any creative effort into it at all. It borders on shameful to me, and cheapens Obi-Wan's story.

All that said - I've read a hundred fanfic writers who could write her a story a hundred times better than what I've seen on the show and I'm *always* open to reading those stories! I do have people I like Obi-Wan with better than other people but at the end of the day we're all here because of one thing. Obi-Wan. And even if one were to write an annoying, dramatic character - everyone has that one past relationship where you never stop asking yourself 'What was I thinking???" (okay, not everyone) - and it's still fun to imagine and write how Obi-Wan would react to that too, because it's all about exploring his character to me. Speculating what if. There is a ton of time, blocks of 10 years, 19 years, etc!!! Almost anything could have happened, imo.

So even if if criticize a character on a show or in a book, I'm still open-minded about the fanfic. Fanfic is everything to me. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Siri, really any more, but Valairy Scot and obimom for example - I *love* their Siri. (and I kinda like how I write her too) The romance feels real to me, I'm pulled into the story and I love it.

My mission is always to promote open-mindedness when it comes to Obi and his ladies, even if it's tough sometimes with some of them. In the same way, I wish a few more could be open to the idea of an OC. Even though I've done nothing more or less than attempt what a writer on TCW has attempted, it's really, really tough sometimes to be written off just because I have an OC instead of character someone else has made up for the same purpose.

Valairy Scot, laloga and Valiowk like this.
  22. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

I absolutely agree with all of that but I'd take it even a step further in how I see it - Obi-Wan and Siri both seem very capable to me to follow the Code, the Force and love each other. I think they've both proven enough times over that they can care about each other and do the right thing. I think they can both love without being 'attached' as I see it attachment does not mean wanting to be with someone or loving them - attachment means *not* letting go when it's time to let go and we all need to learn that, Jedi or not.

There are restraints that need to be taken into consideration, I think. As a Jedi, they have to be in control, careful, cautious. They shouldn't marry or have children (if following the Order/code as it is) They can't spend every moment together or even wish for it. But I believe they could have a fulfilling relationship, love each other, follow the Code and the Force and all (attempt to) live happily ever after without ever forming that dangerous attachment.

I do think the way you're writing it is leading everyone on a path to better enlightenment, and more understanding and acceptance about love and the Force, in a way they maybe won't have to be so painfully discreet about it.

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I'm loving the story :)

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    =D=

If you are "written off" by others, is it because of your OC or because you're writing an Obi-Wan consumated romance story - or both? Sure, you'll turn off a certain potential group of readers for each of the above, but are you really so "written off"?

It'll be interesting to see on these new boards what the "hit" ratio is per story, not just the number of replies.

For the record, I like OCs; I like YOUR OCs. But in the scheme of things (not you, because you do so well), I do get tired of story after story setting up Obi-Wan with yet another love interest - not sure why, but goodness gracious, the poor (or not) man must have had 40 women in his life by now, ;). And let's face it, some of those romantic interests aren't that interesting or well written, so it gives Obix?? a bad name. Of course, if/when I get recommendations to read such and such - I'm interested because the story is well written.

And speaking of trends - lately I've noticed a fair amount of "Anakin's lost/unknown/forgotten sister" stories on ff.n and not by the same author.
    They may be excellent stories, but I have no interest in even checking them out (unless someone recommends one or more of them).

24. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks. I've read your Mandalore story, its very, very good!

Oh don't worry, you didn't come across that way at all. :)

I think she argues with Obi-Wan because of what he has to do to try to bring peace back to the galaxy. She's not happy about that - I can sort of understand that - she loves him but he's doing something that she is against. Sometimes when you love someone you end up arguing a lot because of the differences you have that are preventing them from being together. It's the saying 'opposites attract' in an odd way. Perhaps if they actually explored their previous encounter in a novel or something (other then ruth baulding 's excellent stories of that) that might help, but I doubt that will happen so I'll settle for fanfic for that.

That's a thought... does Satine even know that Obi-Wan's death was faked? If she was at the funeral, she might not know... though it might be obvious if he keeps popping up in media spotlights on the war and such... Actually if they ever meet again they'd better address his 'fake death'.

Same, I'm not a huge fan of Siri either but their are authors in fanfic who can really bring that relationship to life.

If authors can really write a good fic pairing Obi-Wan with anyone then I'm open to it. I prefer not to judge things until its all played out, otherwise pre-judging on the basis of a half-completed story or something isn't giving the author the chance to really explore that relationship they might have set up. If you are a good author, your OC should work and fit seamlessly into the story and feel like they are a part of it. :)

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't disagree, but a lot of romance-OC's are just - poorly written. In some cases, they're a substitute for the author OR some totally idealised and unrealistic person as is the romance in such cases - often Obi-Wan (or other canon character) gets all gushy and romantic and out of character. While we don't ever see Obi-Wan in movies/TCW/etc. really romancing anyone, we do know how he behaves. We can extrapolate ways he might act in love, and yes, it will vary if he's 15, 25, or 50, but he will essentially still be recognizable as Obi-Wan.

Sadly, it's not so in many Obix?? fics.

Imagine Mace Windu in a secret romance. I can't see him bringing flowers and declaiming his passion while down on one knee, belting out a serenade. (But, if on a dare, or satire story, with Mace being horribly uncomfortable doing such...sure, maybe.) Of if somehow Mace is so bowled over by love, he'll still have this stern, gruff exterior side AS WELL.