main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    which is ?

2. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    romance, basically

benknobi1 likes this.
  3. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    But romance is an immensely popular genre. I love a romance story myself (and have been known to read 'Mills & Boon' books [face_blush] ) It may be discussed less than some of the others but I think that's because it's a more familiar and understandable genre. Love is a universal concept and an emotion that more or less everyone has experienced. The concepts of hurt/comfort or angst tend to need more explanation.

4. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    But not Obi-Wan romance...few here read what I write and even fewer write it.

I think elements of hurt/comfort are involved in any love story, and are quite prevalent and relatable. I don't necessarily see that as being less understandable...it's a very basic human experience

5. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, I can only speak for myself here. I don't write romance because I'm useless at it and, the few times that I have tried, it's been like pulling teeth. As for reading it, I'm afraid that I'm a Siriwan fan. I've read the fics you've written on Obi/Siri and enjoyed them. I tend to be an 'OTP shipper' (one preferred pairing) so I have problems reading other pairings. That's not meant as a reflection on your OC, it's just the way my 'romantic mind' works [face_worried]

But it's obvious that people do like your fanfics - certainly more than mine, given the number of reviews you get :)

6. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    And it's the reality of the situation I'm in. Unfortunately I started writing Aala before Siri existed; if I had not come up with her so quickly, maybe things would be different. But it still hurts that me and my stories and what I love don't fit.

I'm surprised you've read the Obi/Siri.

7. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I think it's a dilemma that a lot of SW writers face. As the canon develops, they find that their stories no longer fit with the new canon. The way things are going, chances are Siri won't be canon for long. But the most important thing is to write the stories that you love. I guess this is what a lot of people do - after all, AU is another very popular genre, and a widely written one.

I've read most of the Obi/Siri stories on ff.n and the ones on here that haven't been truncated. I've been awfully bad about reviewing fics that aren't completely new though. I've started to go through the older ones now and make an effort to review but it's a slow process because I can spend as long writing a review as I would writing a chapter of a fic [face_blush]

8. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    You're right, they are (although I also like fluffy love stories!). I think that where it becomes less relatable in Star Wars is in the aspects that are not within RL experience. For instance, parts of the Jedi Code are difficult for a lot of people to 'get' (going by all the scary posts in some of the other threads!) so they engender large amounts of debate, varying interpretation and sometimes quite disturbing arguments (I must keep out of those threads...). Where following - or not following - the Code leads to hurt/comfort, that can also raise similar questions.

But I think that philosophical discussion of that sort can fit quite happily with Obi-adoration, fun stuff and the occasional bout of naughty innuendo :)

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Comparing number of reviews is a perilous business... Sometimes it's just timing and chance... Your saber practice story is immensely popular and has 10 reviews on ff.net alone - I have one old silly little humor story that matches that (because Anakin is included) but I have no true romance chapter or oneshot that has ever had that many reviews. I really appreciate your kind words. I have a few loyal readers I've picked up over the three years I've been posting, and I really appreciate them, yes. It's just hard to know something I worked so long on wont even be given a chance because of nothing to do with the writing. That's how it is and I try my best to accept it. I wish that more people could give my story/genre a chance, but I know they won't and I wish Obi and romance could be more positive *some* of the time, but I don't think most want that either.

10. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Poor old Obi - he probably wishes for more positive romance as well. I think we have to blame Lucas (via the Jedi Order) for that. He's made it more difficult than in most fandoms. You've spent a lot of time and effort on finding a realistic solution to the situation that he gave us. I suspect that many other potential romance writers have just found the problem too much to address.

Is this where I admit that one of the reviews on my saber class story was by my brother? :D

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Anyway, thanks for letting me talk it out

12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    No need to thank me. Like I said, I'm very happy to have found this thread and to be able to join in :) I enjoy sharing the Obi-adoration.

Now, I think my husband is about to get up for work so I should probably be in bed! [face_worried]

13. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I enjoy sharing Obi-adoration as well. I really value your opinion, I'm sorry you can't read my story

14. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    An image to think on (and for me to dream on) :)

[​IMG]

Veloz likes this.
  15. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010

Least liked? Hardly...Ash, you write so well, and your Obi-Wan in the comforting arms of his love is written with so much passion and comfort...here is comfort at it's best...

Obi-Wan has suffered the loss of his order, of everything he has known, yet here he has Aala and his little girl...and a home and family to come home to after he's been out in the midst of danger.

Very AU, but very nice. Don't feel like you don't belong, Ash, you're a very good FF author and a big fan of Obi-Wan, and you have every bit as much of a right to write him as you see him as the rest of us.

I personally don't like the poorly written FF that torture him gratuitiously with no point or plot in mind...and then the comfort is so over the top (Qui-Gon talking and treating a seventeen year old Obi-Wan like he's a little girl) is to make me gag...

When I find a FF like that, I say "no thanks"...but no one here writes like that.

Gotta get ready for work...have a great day all!! :)

Eryndil - I'll read your story later...maybe this evening...;)

serendipityaey and benknobi1 like this.
  16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you Deb [face_love] Even though it's AU, this and Fallen, I still feel Obi has to make the same sacrifices, the many before the one, even putting his loved ones safety to the back of his mind when necessary and fighting a war that takes him away more often than not, but a love to come home to is a powerful comfort. a meaningful love, like you said, the best kind of comfort after the hurt of every time he leaves and risks everything.

I don't think that I don't have a right to see him this way, and I agree everyone has their own way and the right to see him as they do too, but I can't help but wish I could *share* this aspect more, but no one else is even posting Obi-Wan romance right now

17. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I might... in a few months...

serendipityaey likes this.
  18. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh, Ash...I'm so close to finishing this story...and I have some ideas stirring around...

I don't have another romance stirring the pot in my head at the moment...but when this is done..who knows...one time I thought I was done with FF writing, that life would get too busy and i wouldn't have time for it anymore...but I guess I'm hooked...:p

And I always love Siriwan romance...I feel right now "what else could I write about them?" but it's there...

it'll come out when it's ready...in the meantime, I'm toying with an idea (for over a year) with a 16 or so year old Obi-Wan (or 15..haven't decided yet)...mainly him and Qui-Gon (and a cat), but Siri will be there...;)

If I can ever manage to figure out how to start it, that is...:D

19. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    For those interested in Obi-mance, That Other Place (ffn) seems more hospitable than here... on the first two pages alone there are a handful of romance fics: Obi-Dala, Obi-OC, etc. So it's not an unpopular genre per se...
    And I am not counting the one where Anakin impregnates an apparently androgynous Obi-Wan(!), though I must say the style is quite good and I like present progressive tense a lot.
    There's a definite niche there for writers. Maybe tfn is just too Beyond for its own good?

20. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Obi cleaning the litter box out and grumlbing about it, of course.

benknobi1 likes this.
  21. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    He might be a BIT too old here, Deb, but you can tweak it in your imagination... or ask the redoubtable Ash to manipulate it on Photoshop:
    [​IMG]
    Obi-Wan: I thought it was /your/ turn to clean out the blasted litterbox, master?
    Qui-Gon (just off stage): AH, yes, but /you/ lost the sparring match this morning, so it falls to your lot.
    Cat: meow.
    Qui-Gon: He agrees with me. You are out-voted, Padawan.
    Obi-Wan (sullenly levitating orange) Two pathetic life forms against one voice of reason...
    Cat: meow!
    Obi-Wan (to cat): Did I say anything? I didn't say anything.
    Qui-Gon: Ahem.
    Obi-Wan: (makes gesture of compulsion at cat): You want to use that box /much/ less frequently.
    Qui-Gon: (stern and masterly) It ill becomes a Jedi to procrastinate, young one.
    Cat: meow. meow.meow.
    Obi-Wan:(getting up) Yes, all right. I'm going. To commune with the Living Force.
    Qui-Gon: (sotto voce) Brat. For that irreverence, you may perform the aforesaid duty /without/ use of the Force.

and etc...

Veloz and obimom like this.
  22. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    :eek:

23. ruth baulding

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, yes. I dove straight into that tale without looking, like Obi-Wan dives through the windowpane in AoTC, only to discover, when it was too late to back out, that my favorite Jedi Master is afflicted with monthly, um, /inconveniences/ such as Jane Austen would blush even to mention.
    There are /some places/ one should not wander into lightly. Certain threads on this forum, certain realms of fanfic (ahem)... etc
    And when I say there is a niche there for writing, I mean in Romance generally - this particular bandwidth is, I think, abundant in niches we do not wish to contemplate.
    But I digress.

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Were you counting all the Obi/Qui? Or the Obi/very-young-new-Padawan, or the Obi/...Leia? Or the one where we're threatened in the very summary with postponement and deleting of the story unless more reviews are received immediately? Honestly I'm a little terrified to open any story there by someone I don't know and too many are classified as romance but end in tragedy and angst, which is not what I mean by a classic-type romance story, as opposed to angst. I'd also prefer the woman wasn't dead, if we're speaking of romance, but that's asking a lot.

Deb, I'd love to see Siriwan romance from you in the future, or Obi Siri friendship, I hope that happens, that would be awesome.

laloga likes this.
  25. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have stocked up on Obi's fav. fruit...muga fruit ;)

ruth baulding likes this.