main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN Obi-Wan Kenobi

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Anna_kin, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna_kin

Anna_kin Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2001
    Ok, Zuckuss has his little Kit-Fisto thread, so now I get to have an Obi-Wan thread becuase I'm obsessed!!!!! If anyone else feels my pain, please say something!!! Or if you have a good theory about why he eventually wants to kill Anakin.

2. Hoot

Hoot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    LOL, Anna! :) Obi-Wan's cool, way cooler than Kit Fisto... and my theory of why he kills (or 'incapacitates', take your pick) Anakin is that Anakin and Mace Windu get into a big fight.. Mace rocks Anakin, then Anakin kills Mace.. Obi Wan gets po'ed and makes him fall into the lava pit. :p

3. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    Thank you, Hoot. I agree. And I think that maybe he just does it because the Council tells him to, since he's so obident all the time.

4. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i thought i had seen it all...

5. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well if you know me, you know my obsession with Obi-Wan. Mmmm, yes, someone to share my obsession with [face_devil]

6. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    Zuckuss: What's that supposed to mean?

Shara: Maybe we should start a support group or something...

7. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    I just was watching the MTV movie award re-run, and I saw Ewan McGregor (ok, so that was the only reason I was watching it in the first place). He and Nicole Kidman won the award for Best Musical Sequence in Moulin Rouge. Guess what that means? Yep, that's right, Obi-Wan can sing!!! I was thinking maybe they should let him do a number in Ep 3. Wouldn't it be cool to see all the Jedi suddenly burst into song? Kit Fisto could wow everyone with his cool teeth.

8. Jedi_Gepper

Jedi_Gepper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    If Kit could sing too, I wouldn't be surprised. Oh, wait, this is the Obi Wan Kenobi thread. In that case, I will stray only slightly off topic to say that "Moulin Rouge" is an awesome movie, and Ewan McGregor was great in it.
    On the topic, I've always admired Obi Wan Kenobi. The poor guy got thrust into a situation for which he was not prepared and took on nobly out of an obligation. He's pretty much stuck raising this punk Jedi wunderkind whose abilities outmatch his own. Then, the poor guy ends up in hiding on that dustbowl planet Tatooine, or as I call it, the Land That Time Forgot. I imagine that it feels as if the days never end on that do-nothing oven world, you see. Anyway, years later, he meets up with his mechanized former apprentice and allows himself to be sliced in half, thus finally becoming one with the Force and shrugging off the burdensome existence he had lead since his master bit the dust at the hands of an upstart Sith Lord. He saves himself the hassle of further training Luke by passing it off to old Yoda, getting him back for thinking it was a good idea to send Anakin and Padme to the honeymoon planet of Naboo to "hide." All's well that ends well, though. That balance thing works itself out when Anakin finally gets his priorities straight and chucks his comically cackling Sith Master to a very long fall. Obi Wan smiles benevolently as Luke ponders a night of perky partying with the Ewoks and friends.
    So, in short, Obi Wan is a good guy in a bad situation, Skywalker men are whiny punks, and Sith cause nothing but trouble.

I'm done now. Really.

9. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    I agree with everything, except that he got stuck with Anakin: He didn't HAVE to train him, he could have been a loser and not followed Qui Gon's last wish, but he did it out of love and respect for his former Master. And because he's not a loser. Also, it's not like he hates Anakin, they actually have this really cool little bond illustrated in Rogue Planet and partially in AOTC.

Other than that, I agree: WHY DOES EVERYONE PICK ON POOR OBI-WAN!?!? :mad:

10. Obi-Wanabe

Obi-Wanabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2001
    Hay did somebody -- OH NEVER MIND!

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok Gail that is the best plot summary of Obi-Wan's life I have ever heard! And it's hilarious to boot. :D

As far as Obi-Wan not having to train Anakin, I think he did. If you step away from canon and look in places like Jedi Apprentice, or even speculation, Obi-Wan is a very noble guy. He messed up once with Qui-Gon as a kid and I honestly think is still trying to make up for it. If you don't want to look at it that way, he feels he owes Qui-Gon a lot. Qui-Gon trained him, and trained him well. I've always seen their relationship as father and son, whereas Obi-Wan and Anakin are more like older brother and younger brother.

But I have to agree: Skywalker men are whiny punks!

12. ANIandAMIDALA4EVER

ANIandAMIDALA4EVER Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    ~HEY! Anakin was awesome before he became all Darkside! Luke is awesome too! They are actually more of men because they can CRY! I love Obi-Wan too, but he's not the one that you get to see 9 minutes of his chest!~

13. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    Hey, it's not Ewan's fault they didn't put any shirtless-ness in the script!

Maybe in Ep 3....

You should all see this thread Ani and I found about Obi-Wan and Moulin Rouge...it's hilarious...it's under "The Star Wars Films", in the AOTC forum.

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I tell you, being an adult and seeing quite a few of Ewan's films, he's not shy. And yes I'm hoping that he can work a shirtless scene in there too ;)

15. Hoot

Hoot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    Bad shara! *whap whap whap* :p

16. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Actually, I think someone told me Ewan was quoted as saying he was trying to find a way to fit *something* like that in into SW. *chuckles*

17. Tk-Jabba

Tk-Jabba Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Obi Wan is a crybaby, Jango should have killed him and hung his crybaby head on the wall.

18. OriginalBryGuy

OriginalBryGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    Now, now, let's get our facts straight here. It hasn't been determined if Anakin can beat Obi Wans ass at this point. He lunged into combat against Dooku and got his arm chopped. He also neglected to block Dookus lighting while Obi Wan could.

Obi Wan is a bad ass. Does he want to kill Anakin. Of course not. My guess is Anakin starts to really blame Obi Wan and attacks him to where Obi Wan has to defend himself, and gets the upper hand. (all puns intended). This would be where Anakin gets messed up and has to put on the eventual Darth Vader garb. I'm sure this tears Obi Wan up. He doesn't want to be the Jedi who failed to train his Padawan.

"I thought I could train him just as well as Yoda....I was wrong." - Obi in Jedi.

He's bummed about the whole thing for sure, but believes he can still help Anakin by helping train Luke.

The only time Anakin defeats Obi Wan is in Episode IV 'A New Hope' of couse technically, you can't even say that's a defeat because Obi sacrifices himself to become one with the force to help Luke save Anakin in the end. Hello?

So no, Anakin only wishes he was half the Jedi Obi Wan is.

Obi Wan wants to kill Anakin? Sorry, that's just not the case.

Kit Fisto. The guy has a great dentist!

19. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    Shara, your obsession with Obi-wan is thinly veiled. I know where your true obsession is...

So how come Obi-wan couldn't pick the lock on his chains using the force?

20. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Thinly veiled? Heck I embrace my obsession whole heartedly.

Something I was talking on JediTalk last night about was why Obi-Wan only got relatively maimed in the Dooku fight and Anakin the Schmuck got his arm cut off. It's either because Obi-Wan is just that good, or Dooku has plans for Obi-Wan. I figure getting Obi-Wan to join him will be insurance for Dooku's staying power as a Sith. If he kills Palpy, then he'll have apprentice; if Dooku himself bites it, then Palpy will take Anakin. Either that or he cut his arm off to purposefully piss him off.

Regardless, Obi-Wan is the only second smoothest to Mace Windu, and Anakin is definitely a whiney punk! :D

21. Jedi_Gepper

Jul 23, 2001
    First, thanks Shara for appreciating my summary. It's flattering to appear in someone's signature. Second, I would like to clarify for the record that I do like Anakin and Luke, but that doesn't mean they're not the whiny punks I believe them to be. In their personalities is mixed an equal amount of the sublime and the ridiculous, and that's what makes them interesting and endearing characters. Where would be the "Star Wars" saga be were it not for Anakin and Luke charging into things mindlessly? Well, there would be two fewer mechanical hands for a start. (I assume, of course, that Anakin could have preserved his hand had he actually worked with Obi Wan against Dooku.)
    The fact is that it's the Skywalker women, both in blood and marriage, who hold the family together. Only Leia comes up with a makeshift plan for getting out of that firefight on the Death Star. Only Padme has the sense to try to pick that lock. If it were not for the women, the men would be nothing.
    So, back to the thread topic, another reason to admire Obi Wan is that he makes his mistakes and his payment for or solution to them all on his own. Plus, he's got a cool accent.

22. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    That wasn't the "Kenobi" to whom I referred.

;)

23. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    *smirks* hey he shaved his beard of and his hair!!!

24. Anna_kin

Dec 6, 2001
    Obi-Wan is NOT a crybaby. The only time he ever cried was when Qui-Gon died and that was AFTER he kicked some serious Maul a$$.

I didn't think he'd want to kill Anakin either, but that he'd have a major conscience attack, and of course you can't fight very well if you don't have any desire to hurt the other persn, and if he didn't fight very well Anakin would definately beat him, which we know didn't happen because he lives to ANH.

I was just listening to Lady Marmalade (Ani left her Moulin Rouge soundtrack at my house), I was thinkng maybe Padme, Zam, Dorme and some Twi'lek girls (or maybe Corde in blue-ghost form) could do their own version in Ep 3. Or would that be TOO scary?

25. Jedi_Gepper

Jul 23, 2001
    No offense, but after the painfully ill-created "Jedi Rocks" song in "ROTJ: SE," I don't want to see any more pop and/or rock numbers in any "SW" film. I would almost, ALMOST, rather watch the entire holiday special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.