Obi-Wan Kenobi's story

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I feel that next to Anakin, Obi-Wan's story from TPM to ANH (and even beyond) is such an amazing journey. Obi-Wan truly is a sad character when it boils down to it. He lost Qui-Gon, he failed to complete Anakin's training and lost him to the darkside, and he witness the deaths of thousands of his Jedi allies die one by one before him as the galaxy crumbles.

Like Yoda, he spends twenty years by himself on Tatooine.

But besides such a compelling story, I think what makes Obi-Wan such a fantastic character is that he gets into the best adventures. He faces different sith lords in battle, fights Jango Fett (probally the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy by the time of AOTC), and so on.

And let's not forget that Obi-Wan sacrificed his life for the good of the galaxy.
  2. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan would have to be my favourite good guy of the saga. He definately has a sad story and I hope we will get to see his tragedy in E3. Ewan and Sir Alec make the character come to life.
  3. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
    The saga is also the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi as the quintessential Jedi.

A young man who overcame his anger and grief (where Anakin did not) to become a knight, a knight and master who kept the faith even in the face of the ultimate horror and betrayal and the destruction of all he loved to wait in the wastelands, keeper of the memories, just to sacrifice himself in the end - again - for the betterment (is that a word?) of the galaxy and to bring balance to the Force. If you are looking for a Jedi to end all, look to him.

He is the pivot on which the entire SW universe moves.
  4. Jude Jedi Knight

star 2
    Agreed, his is my favorite story arc of the saga. McGregor's performance only strengthens this. Plus, he was the first Jedi in a long time to defeat a Sith warrior. That's gotta count for something. ;)
  5. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
    Yes, Obi-Wan's story arc definately is a tragic one. Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor have both done wonderful jobs portraying the character. He is one of the true here's throughout the whole saga.
  6. Emperor_Billy_Bob Chosen One

star 7
    Very true. Obi-wan is the stalwart Jedi hero of the story, and the archnemesis of Anakin. He is also an extraordinary fighter as we see from TPM and AOTC.
  7. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Wan is definitely my favorite, for many reasons. Anakin's fall to the Darkside may be what causes the old trilgy to be what it is, but it is Obi-Wan's actions that set things up for the salvation of the galaxy. Vader is Luke's father, but Obi-Wan arranged for him to be raised as he was.
    He hides the kids, and he's also responsible for putting the OT triumvirate together by hiring Han Solo.

The other thing I like is, without a doubt, the performance. I am always amazed to watch Ewan McGregor and see how perfectly matched he seems to Alec Guinness. Especially now that he has the beard. And except for those scenes where it's an appallingly fake one.
  8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I forget to mention this in my original post, but Obi-Wan is indeed my favorite character of the entire saga.

Guinness and McGregor have portrayed him perfectly.
  9. Padawan915 Force Ghost

star 6
    Obi-Wan's story is long and sad, but besides Anakin's story, I feel that Obi-Wan's story is the most important in the saga. From his humble beginning as a padawan to Qui-Gon to a respected Jedi Knight, who even though he failed with his first student, he succeeded with his second. His character is tremendously portrayed by Guiness and McGregor.

McGregor, in my opinion has brought even more power and credibility to Obi-Wan's character.
  10. NiktosRule Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a great thread!

Obi-Wan's story is sad but very compelling. He lead quite the life and is a great character.

Ewan and Alec did a great job portraying him.
  11. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the pt maybe about anakin's fall from grace, but obi-wan's story is equally important and his story needs to be told.
  12. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    I've never been of the belief that Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault, but rather that Anakin himself was responsible. Anyone here agree?

Obi-Wan is also essential to the transition between trilogies. The two actors' performances have to match, which is something Hayden Christensen never had to worry about. He fixes things at the end of this trilogy, and sets up the characters for the next one.
  13. Lord-of-the-Marks Jedi Knight

star 2
    For me Obi-Wan is Star Wars. No other character is as involved for every major event in the saga as Obi-Wan. From being against Qui-Gon's decision to train Anakin, to advising Luke to stay on Dagobah, there's never a conflict in continuity.
    I was watching ANH the other day and noticing the different nuances, that each actor brings to the character.
  14. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I loved the OT Obiwan. I don't like how GL has had him come off as a bit sanctimonious in the PT, but like Anakin, I look for his EpIII character to mature a bit more and it may actually show the two closer than in AOTC. Like Hayden, Ewan has done a wonderful job, despite some bad lines at making the PT/OT characters meld. These two guys truly deserve more kudos than they get.
  15. Epicauthor Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-wan is the quintesstional Jedi.

IMHO, there are 4 characters on which the saga is hinged:

Anakin: Tragic Hero
    Palpatine: Anakin's Temptation
    Luke: Anakin's Redemption
    Obi-Wan: Anakin's antithisis

Obi-Wan gives us a model to look at and say "Huh, so that's what a Jedi is supposed to be like." He is everything Anakin is not.

Plus he represents a Jedi's ideals at their purest form. I'm willing to bet when the New Order was brought upon the galaxy, a law was made that any jedi caught practicing their art would be put to death. Obi-Wan ignores that law and decided to go to Alderaan AND to teach Luke when his last pupil's success rate was less that exlempary.

Raises glass to Obi-Wan

16. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've never been of the belief that Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault, but rather that Anakin himself was responsible. Anyone here agree?

I've never believed either Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault. Anakin's decision to become a bad guy Sith was totally his own. The only one that should feel guilty is Anakin himself, not Obi-Wan.
  17. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-wan is the quintesstional Jedi.

I couldn't have said it better. In the OT, he is the first Jedi we meet (not counting Vader), so he sets the example for what a Jedi should be. In the PT, I feel the same way. Even though TPM focused on Qui-Gon more, Obi-Wan is more conservative, and the next two make him more a central character, so he is still, I feel, the closest to perfect a Jedi can be.

I've never believed either Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault. Anakin's decision to become a bad guy Sith was totally his own. The only one that should feel guilty is Anakin himself, not Obi-Wan.

I could kiss you.
  18. DARTH_NAFOD Jedi Master

star 1
    I think the only guilt Obi-Wan feels is that hindsight being 20/20 he can now see more ways that he may have been able to save Anakin from himself.

However, Anakin IS responsible for his choices, not Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  19. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    I also like how Obi Wan is a lot more like Qui Gon by the time of the OT. In the PT, he's a bit more uptight and concerned about the future (as are a lot of other Jedi). By the time of the OT, he seems to have rethought a lot of things and seems a lot more like Qui Gon, especially when dealing with Luke and during the scenes in Mos Eisley.
  20. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't really see as being terribly different. Despite taking on Luke at a late point in life, he's still fairly conservative, telling Luke to stay behind on Dagobah rather than go after his friends. He still uses mind tricks, and he still has that bad habit of cutting peoples' arms off.
  21. Bjork Jedi Master

star 4
    I totally agree with everything that has been said here - Obi-Wan Kenobi truly is a awesome character that I feel is underrated alot of the times.

-Bjork.
  22. Darkkiller Jedi Knight

star 1
    I must agree with U guys. Obi-Wan has always been my favourite SW-character.
  23. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    does anyone blame Obi-Wan for the fall of Anakin?? I personally think there was nothing wrong with the way he trained Anakin. He was always going to struggle with Anakin being admitted to the Jedi Order at an old age. Perhaps he should have let Yoda go a couple of rounds first, but as for Obi-Wans teaching I cannot see anything wrong with it.
  24. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "I don't like how GL has had him come off as a bit sanctimonious in the PT, but like Anakin...."

The arrognce of youth, Rhonerdoo ;)

As Kyle Katarn mentioned back there, by the time ANH rolls around Obi-Wan is much more passive person than he is (so far) in the PT. He holds off in the Cantina until no other course of action is possible and is forced to literally disarm Luke's attacker. Compare to his actions in the Outlander Club in AotC, he uses himself to draw out the attacker with the plan to confront her at the first available opportunity.

Also his actions with the death stick dealer speak volume for his respect for sentient beings. He has no qualms about changing this guys mind and sending him off to change his life. He get as loose with his mind tricks as Qui-Gon is in TPM (with Watto for instance). His arrogance and his feeling of superiority over other beings is blatantly obvious throughout TPM, his constant nasty comments to Jar Jar ("If they catch us they will crush us.....) and with Anakin ("Why do I get the feeling we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"). It's almost like he's the example that Yoda is using in AotC when he discusses the arrogance of the Jedi with Mace and Obi-Wan in the Jedi Temple.

"I've never believed either Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault. Anakin's decision to become a bad guy Sith was totally his own. The only one that should feel guilty is Anakin himself, not Obi-Wan."

Of course it's not Obi Wans fault but he clearly blames himself nonetheless. It must be something like losing his own son to the Dark Side, Anakin certainly feels that Obi Wan is closest thing he has to a father and I think it's safe to assume that Obi Wan feels the same way. He blames himself for failing to train Anakin which then results in the utter destruction of the Jedi Order and the Republic....quite a burden, no? I love the idea that both of the remaining Jedi (Yoda and Obi Wan) are in purgatory, exiled from the Galaxy and doing time in isolation for the failures that created the sins of their past.

Simply put: Obi Wan was not ready to be Anakins Master. He swears at the side of his dying Master to train this boy and does his best but Obi Wan is the tragic example that should tell us that the most desperate efforts of man cannot change destiny.
  25. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I wonder how much courage it took Obi-Wan to finally step up and decide to train Luke. He still must have been blaming himself for Anakin's fall and what not even by the time of ANH.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.