main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi Wan mentions Master Qui Gon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darthpigskin, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthpigskin

darthpigskin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2001
    I've always found the relationship between Obi-wan and Qui-gon to be quite interesting.

The comment that Obi-wan makes is something along the lines of: "I doubt even Master Qui-Gon would have used jedi like this."

It seems that by saying this, Kenobi is acknowledging that Qui-Gon was somewhat of a rogue.

What are some thoughts on this?

2. UsErOfThEFaRcE

UsErOfThEFaRcE Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2003
    lol he said :not even master QuiGon couldve prepared the jedi for this.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I never like the comparision of Anakin/Obi-Wan as a "father/son conflict"...because I felt they were more like brother, dealing with the lose of their mutual "father figure" Qui-Gon. Even when Obi-Wan is granted permission to train Anakin, he was taking on some of "Qui-Gon's defiance" in an attempt to live up to the example of his fallen master. Anakin took an immediate sense of connection to Qui-Gon in TPM...and his death left Anakin wondering who would be his mentor now? Obi-Wan tried to act like a parent (of sorts) as a final promise to Qui-Gon...but there was always that "brothers" relationship.

I think Obi-Wan's moment of reflection, was a moment of doubt in his training of Anakin...could their "father" have done a better job then he did? Could Qui-Gon have tamed Anakin's moments of aggression and over confidence?

4. darthpigskin

darthpigskin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2001
    Yeah Krash. Good thoughts.

It seems that Obi-wan only took in Anakin as his Padiwan because Qui-Gon all but forced him to promise to do it.

Still... interesting that they threw in that Qui-Gon comment.

Was he refering to the Jedi fighting in the Clone Wars or was he specifically talking about Anakin?

"I doubt even Master Qui-Gon would have prepared a Jedi for this".

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    The thing that bothered me there was that the actor put the accent on "Gon" instead of "Qui" when he said his name. Obi-Wan never said it like that.

*grumble, grumble* :mad:

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    According to Gennedy's commentary track on Hyperspace, the Obi-wan's voiceover musings about Qui-Gon was something they added at the last minute. It was a nice touch.

7. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I think he says "I doubt aven master Qui Gon could prepapre a Jedi for something like this" I do find the relationship between Qui Gon and OB1 quite interesting. I always wanted to see that relationship expand but oh well life's full of surprises, surprises are brought by life.

8. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I liked that part. It's a nice little TPM connection. It lets us know that even Obi-Wan has insecurities and that a Jedi never stops learning.

9. Rholynn

Rholynn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Very good thoughts, Krash. I also always saw more of a brother relationship. I hope that we see some sort of resolution of the Qui-Gon questions in Ep. III.

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It seems that by saying this, Kenobi is acknowledging that Qui-Gon was somewhat of a rogue.

How so? He just said that he didn't think that he was well prepared enough, and that most of the Jedi weren't prepared...

11. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    It's a little weird to me to a voice-over like that in Star Wars. Nothing like that is in any of the movies, except maybe when Luke's seeing the future on Dagobah.

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    How so?
    I think what Obi-Wan was refering to was Qui-Gon's ability to "think outside the box"...even by jedi standards. Would Qui-Gon have been able to make the transition from ambassador/guardian...to general of The Army of the Republic?

That moment showed that leading a war, is a concept foriegn to the basic principles of the jedi...which has required them to change the way they think/act. Obi-Wan's reflective moment was just his pondering Qui-Gon's ability to succeed where he views himself as failing.

13. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    It was a nice little tie in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.