main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-wan might have not done any physical harm to Anakin...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthMaul13, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    As far as we know, Anakin appears to have the following injuries.

1) Severed Arm
    2) Breathing Problems
    3) A large gash to his head

The Severed Arm, as we know, came from Dooku chopping it off and we saw later that he obtained a robotic one. The breathing problems and the large gash to his head will be received in Episode 3.

However, how he received it is a complete mystery. We can't be for certain that Obi-wan tore his lungs and his head up during their climatic battle over a Volcano. It just wouldn't seem like Obi-wan to tear up his own apprentince regardless of how much hate has consumed Anakin. Perhaps it was more of an accident then anything. Maybe at some point in their duel, Obi-wan pushes Anakin over the side of a volcano or some molten pit. Anakin receives a gash on his head from the fall, and get his breathing problems from all the smoke inhalation from the volcano smog.

Obi-wan has his famous quote, "He is more machine now than man." But it could be more of a symbolic reference than something meant to be taken literally. Anakin is a cold, heartless and souless individual.

More than likely Vader, has 90% of his body still intact.

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I highly doubt it. I don't Obi-Wan was using his "Certain Point of View" BS when he said that Vader was more machine than man.

3. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    possible... but i'm thinking and hopind obi-wan tears anakin limb from limb.

no lightsaber crap. gouge his freakin' eyes out! go for the jugular!

4. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    I would like to see that too pkloa, but it would be hard to show that with the limitations of a PG rating.

Also being the chosen one, wouldn't his force-abilities be diminished if all he consists of is a head and half a torso. What a large amount of midichlorians he would lose if most of his body had been destroyed. How much of a threat is a Sith Lord who is mostly robotic parts.

5. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    that's the point

he's a shadow of his former self.

6. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    The point of what?

7. Derrinson

Derrinson Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2002
    I don't want to drag this off-topic, but I think the issue of the midichlorians has no bearing on how many body parts one has. It's a concentration within the cells. Meaning that it's the concentration in ONE cell that determines one's potential to understand the will of the Force. So, a unicellular organism could potentially be much more attuned to the Force than Anakin, providing that its midichlorian count was WAY over 20,000. ;) That said, I hope that at one point during the duel, Anakin attempts to wail on Obi-Wan with just his fists. I doubt that'll happen though. And Vader could have received his wounds any number of ways. A severed pipe with some noxious fumes and some kind of chemical running through it could end up in Anakin's face during the final duel for all we know.

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, Derrinson is right about the midichlorians....its about concentration within cells, rather than absolute numbers in the entire body.

I think its pretty much accepted that DV in the OT has lost most of his body. We dont know for a fact that Lucas wil kep to this in the PT (he has changed different things), but its the way most people view it.

It is entirely possible, however, that he doesnt get many injuries directly from a sabre fight, but does get them indirectly...from falling and cracking his head on rocks etc.

Obi Wan couldnt directly tear up Anakins lungs at any point in time...its pretty hard to reach them without cutting him open first ;)

9. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Anakin is a heavy smoker in episode 3...

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    We've already been shown EXACTLY how much of Vader is artificial - at the end of ROTJ when he gets accidentally electrocuted by Palpy-Sid and for a brief frame or two, as the lightning is arcing along his torso, we see the following...

... 1. artificial right arm to above elbow
    (we know how Anakin got that one)
    2. artificial right shoulder socket
    (remember Luke striking Vader's shoulder at the end of ESB?
    3. round breastplate thing ? the ventilator
    4. artificial left shoulder and upper arm

AND (what really weirds me out)
    ... what appear to be artificial vertebrae in his NECK.....

implication.. Vader is indeed "more machine than man" AND that at some stage, his head ain't quite securely attached to the rest of this body...

(I've cheated a little bit - my sight's not that wonderful and I didn't find this by freeze-framing my ROTJ video - there's a picture of Vader getting zapped in (I think) the fabulous Star Wars Compedium book published by Chroncle Books and you can see all of these thing quite clearly there.. (so, not really spoilers?)..

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    There's actually an entire commentary on Vader's injuries here.

I believe GL has also said that Vader has mechanical arms and legs.

12. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I think that in one bold swift Jedi move, Obi-wan will hit Anakin on the head with the lightsabre but stop, so it's only a gash, possibly because Anakin partially deflected it with his lightsabre, but in the same motion he swings it down and around, and then straight into Anakin chest, puncturing his lungs, then force pushes Anakin's body off his lightsabre as Anakin falls into something really hot which burns his whole body. Obi-wan is pretty sure he's dead, starts to leave. He sees Anakin crawling out of the whatever it was pit that burned him, all messed up in a complete rage. All of a sudden the Emperor and a fleet of troops comes to take out Obi-wan, who is for all he knows, the last Jedi alive. He is prepared to fight them all and meet his death, when he hears Qui-gon's voice telling him to run.

Then he feels Anakin using the force to enter Obi-wans mind and mess him up, his body all crawling and burnt and evil and scary, like the terminator, and Obi-wan sees he's become just as evil as the terminator, and sees machine parts flying towards Anakin and fusing to him and rebuilding him. Obi-wan of course sees Anakin has gone truly evil, and even though he was ready to die then fighting Qui-gon tells him to run, so he runs, and barely escapes. The Emperor then somehow saves Anakin from death and puts him in the iron prison that he will live within the rest of his life.

13. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Now Ive thought of 'the duel' since I first saw (and read) JEDI.
    Am I the only person who got the impression that Anakin was simply knocked by Obi into a molten pit which destroyed the majority of Anis body before he could escape?
    I always saw it that way.
    Also when you think about it how in hell is Lucas gonna be able to do this film properly on the limits of a PG?

14. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    I'm wondering how Lucas is going to have two key lightsabre battles in one film. Anakin vs. OBi-wan and possibly Anakin vs. Dooku.

15. ANAKIN_THE_LAST_JEDI

ANAKIN_THE_LAST_JEDI Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    obi van and anakin will fight after anakin will move to the dark side and the ground will open up and anakin will fall and become what he is now

16. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think he must have done some harm to Anakin-Vader wouldn't hate Obi-Wan so much if he didn't. Obi-Wan, having a boyscouttish nature, would probably choose the greater good (killing Anakin) than what he would personally like (saving Anakin).

Personally I'm betting it's the volcano/molten pit thing that we're going to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.