main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit Obi-Wan movie is happening

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I honestly hope this never happens. We don't need it. It's just repeating the same mistakes the old EU made, which made it's death all the more necessary.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd be interested to hear what you know about the movie, since you seem to know a lot more about it than anyone else here if you're already aware of its content.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is it about a new character? No.

Easy.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 2006
    Kenobi was pretty widely beloved.

If this is a Tatooine Western starring Obi-Wan, it will be repeating what the old EU did well. Not its mistakes.

Kenobi was not a nail in the EU's coffin. That was Fate of the Jedi.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 23, 2011

Good thing they are doing both.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If they do this movie, it will be the first time a SW film is based exclusively on one planet (well, not counting the Ewok films). Since Disney seems keen on countering preconceived assumptions, it's possible they might let the plot stray beyond Tatooine. There is no strict OOU rule that Obi-Wan can't leave the planet. Or maybe Obi-Wan is on Tatooine throughout the film, but another sizable part of the plot is based elsewhere (Bail and Breha? Vader and CGI Tarkin? Grand Moff Panaka figuring out where Obi-Wan's hiding because of TPM and trying to hunt him down and... actually I am so fanficcing that...)

But yeah, location for this film could potentially be interesting. If they choose to stay on Tatooine, that could also have potential... we could see new aspects of the planet we hadn't before. And it could turn out very Lawrence of Arabia.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was widely beloved amongst people who read Star Wars novels. The people who don't outnumber them at stupidly high numbers per one person who actually read the EU.

But it is exactly the problem. Whenever they tell stories about new characters, they endure in the imagination. Rogue One has a much less divisive position in fandom than TFA/TLJ. Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn and Mara Jade are fan favourites. KOTOR continues to have a lot of love 15 years or more after its release.

We don't frankly need an Obi-Wan film as they've not yet exhausted the entire breadth and depth of a galaxy's worth of stories. Get there first, then come back with "And now, badly written fiction by underpaid writers about old Luke Skywalker and his other old friends, and watch as people are upset that this work is rightfully destroyed and take years and years to cope, if at all!"

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 23, 2011
    You've got it back the front. They should provide familiar stories initially and then branch out. Which is what they are doing. And TFA and TLJ are only decisive amongst fans. There is no evidence to suggest it would fall short for the general audience.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Did non-EU fans read the novel in droves and then vocally give it bad reviews? Serious question.

Rogue One was forgettable and has already largely faded from the public imagination, whereas TFA and TLJ haven't. Besides, R1 was full of fanservice, callbacks, and SW comfort food, and isn't a great example of a "new" story.

As Darth Philosopher says, I think you've got it back to front. Stories about beloved characters, played by the actors who defined them, endure in the imagination. People went crazy for Hamill being in TLJ, and many cited his performance as the best aspect of the film. People want Billy Dee to return. People lauded Carrie Fisher's badass portrayal of General Organa. And people want to see Ewan again.

Your post makes it clear that the sequel trilogy hasn't been your cup of tea, but be careful about assuming that everyone who's watched it hated it with a passion and needs years to cope.

connor413 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The actor is also the issue here -- I know people who would happily watch Ewan stare at goats all day. I bet once they settle whatever Force gig they have up their sleeve in Episode IX (I know, they didn't plan one specifically, but surely JJA is stuffing some twist up that sleeve right now), they'll give us an Obi-Wan/Forcey movie. Probably starring Liam too, at least as a cameo. All the people who were kids during TPM are having kids now. The time has never been better.

MrDarth0, Voltron64, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  13. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Heyyyyyy I see what ya did there

Bringing back Joel Edgerton as Owen seems like a no-brainer, too, and I was wondering if they would bring back Bonnie Piesse as Beru and then I remembered that Genevieve O'Reilly and Jimmy Smits were in Rogue One for about thirty seconds each so yeah I think they would try to keep the same Beru

Voltron64 likes this.