main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    First, I assume he's on someone's wishlist of people they'd love to work with based on... something. On love for one of his old movies or theater pieces. I guess the practice isn't even uncommon with Lucasfilm, I assume most of the "wasted" talent in the prequels was chosen like that (and then you get things like Stamp wanting to work with Portman added onto that). Second, if McGregor was as wasted in the prequels as everyone always said, why not give him a stagey Oscar-baiting prestige drama director who's great with Brits? Again, what if the story includes some kid like the ones in Daldry's movies and no real sci-fi action? What if LFL thinks it wants to break the mold again by really aiming for the Oscar-bait this time (until Disney realizes that they want another popcorn blockbuster, thank you very much)? Third, superhero movies get all kinds of non-genre directors these days and sometimes it works wonders, so why not here?

But basically, I guess we both know too little about Daldry, his fans inside LFL and his connections in the business. Did he ask for the job and convinced everybody, or was he chosen and possibly talked into it? We'll see.

Valin__Kenobi and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  2. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    There's no universe where RotS and ANH aren't of comparable quality.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Somebody is smoking something big time lol. To each their own I guess . And least your not arguing for episode 1 and 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    All 6 episodes are made roughly with the same level of competency outside of ESB.
    Lucas's scriptwriting and directing skills never changed. Actually I'd say his directing got a tad better if anything.

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Great to see a non-conventional viewpoint like this being expressed. People should feel free to have their own opinions on this sort of thing without conforming to the norms. And they certainly shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

I prefer the OT but also believe that the PT isn't as bad people make it out to be. Outside of Jar-Jar/Jake Lloyd and the "romance" in AOTC I enjoy watching them.

7. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    The Jake Lloyd critism is so baffling. He was great. He felt like a real kid, not a movie kid.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Lucas completely screwed over the other!! No story, and no heart . The first three movies made are the best of all time and the other over all is a joke

vong333 likes this.
  9. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Man, what a fresh argument! I can't wait to see where it goes!

10. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Anyone I know that are Star Wars fans and are movie makers won't even watch the pt. It doesn't compare

It really can't go anywhere . Wrong thread for it and really pt vs ot is not allowed in this forum .

I'll drop it there

11. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But it does. The PT is directed comparably to THX 1138, American Graffiti, and ANH.
    And as for "no story"... the PT has a more intricate plot than the OT, objectively.

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Your comparing it to Lucas other films ? The pt is a laughingstock compared to the original trilogy. Better writing and directing by far and real heart vs eye candy . Outside of Obi Wan(as a character ) and a few other scenes , they are universally recognized as inferior. Just look at most of the critical and fan reviews. As limited as TFA was it cleansed our Palette of the stink of the pt . For that I am grateful

vong333 likes this.
  13. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Yikes. Padme's Ruminations alone is better than anything in any other Lucas film.

And you keep saying "heart". ANH glosses over emotion much more than the PT. (Alderaan, Ben, Vader/Ben fight, etc...)

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Well you stated your opinion and I mine . Well leave it at that

15. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Evidently not

Anyway why is it so important to you that everyone hates the PT just as much as you do

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is the Kenobi movie for real? Nothing official has been said except rumor or two.

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Nothing beyond the Hollywood Reporter Story from last week. The media seems to be giving it credence because it goes beyond absolute vagueness by naming a director, but the media is also going nuts over a Jabba the Hutt movie supposedly being in the works because of a single line from a Variety article:

I may have jumped the gun when I created this thread, but, hey, it could have been worse --- I could have created one for the Jabba movie.

If anyone ever wants to talk about the Ewok Adventure movies though let me know.

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie starring Ewan seems like a no brainer for easy money as well as positive fan reception.

http://nerdist.com/ewan-mcgregor-star-wars-obi-wan-spin-off-chosen-one/

Ewan is certainly one of the Star Wars actors who is most likely to want to reprise his role, Obi-Wan is one of the most popular characters, and there's lots you can do with him.

Western on Tatooine
    Jedi Purge

And so on and so on.

It's basically like saying, "Should they do a Captain America movie with Chris Evans."

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm not... sure whose question you were answering?

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Although I'm not big on any movie that begins with the concept of "let's make a movie about <established character>", I have to admit the Jabba movie sounds better than the OB1 movie. Essentially, a movie that develops a plot around the gangster underground of the Star Wars galaxy. Han Solo might be in that arena, but I like the idea of telling it from Jabba's perspective more than Han's.

21. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    People are responding to the idea of a "Jabba the Hutt" movie in a strange way. They seem to read it and assume it would be an origin story or 2 hours of Jabba the Hutt on screen the entire time rather than realise that it's more likely just going to be an Underworld movie with Jabba as one of many characters.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  22. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I didn't even know about the Jabba movie talk until I read the post in this thread.

The more it sits with me, the more I like it. A refreshing change from The Good Guys, The Bad Guys, The Jedi, The Sith.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not that there's really much to take seriously right now, but I don't quite get why anyone thinks Jabba has broad commercial appeal. His whole shtick is being a hideous and disgusting blob who commits crimes.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The Godfather is a pretty successful movie.

Valin__Kenobi, cthugha and Darth_Duck like this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The OB1 movie is going to be incredible with Tom Hanks as Ben and Wilson as himself.
    [​IMG]