main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-Wan not killing unarmed enemies

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Did anyone else notice in the scene where Obi-Wan is about to fight Grievous, the moment where he drops that vent on several guards... the last droid is clamouring for his weapon, and Obi-Wan seems to wait until the staff is activated to destroy it? I thought it could be a subtle nod to the Jedi Code, I'm pretty sure it has been said before.
    Anakin on the other hand grows closer to the darkside when he kills the, quite literally, unarmed Dooku.

On another related subject, I see some intended contrast in the way the Seperatists are dealt with by Anakin pre and post turn. As Anakin and Obi-Wan take over the bridge of the Invisible Hand, notice as the Neimodians flee, the Jedi ignore them and destroy all the droids. A sharp contrast to Vaderkin later killing all the unarmed Seperatists in cold blood.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think Obi-Wan was having fun taking his sweet time to finish off the droid. I think he would have done the same thing regardless of whether or not it picked up a weapon.

It's a droid, a very dangerous combat droid at that, I don't think the Code applies to them.

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Agreed, droids aren't alive, so they probably wouldn't count. What about Clones though?

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Clones should count, and every clone trooper we see Obi-Wan kill is definitely trying to kill him.

5. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Well first of all, he crushed the droid with a 6 ton hunk of metal (what does the Jedi code say about that?) and at that point no longer considers it a threat. When it's still alive and fighting he kills it.

This could be an interesting thread of discussion -- are droids alive, or more saliently, are they sentient? In the SW universe, they certainly are. The entire story is told through the eyes of R2 and 3PO, and they certainly are sentient and have personalities. The viewer certainly is encouraged to consider them to be living things, although the universe they are in doesn't.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I think I agree with you guys that a droid isn't covered by the Jedi Code, actually.

R2 certainly seems alive to me. Luke and Anakin perceive him this way I think.
    When R2 is shot, or 3PO blown to bits it certainly doesn't seem like they are an expendable object. Hmm

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Well he is a master of Form III Soresu which is strictly a defensive form. So that maybe why. He would wait to see an opening before he makes his true counter move.

Then again he could be just playing with Grievous.:p

8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

I disagree.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW series addresses this somewhat, as does the beginning of ROTS. Anakin sees the droids as sentient and valuable, Obi-Wan sees them as more expendable, at least to the point of telling Anakin that he can't endanger the mission to go after the damn droid. (Not a direct quote.)

I'm trying to remember the line early in ROTS, but it had to do with the elevator shaft and Anakin telling Obi-Wan to leave R2 alone, that he was doing the best he could. And then Obi-Wan encouraged Anakin to leave R2 behind and Anakin refused. And in TCW, Obi-Wan only agreed to going after R2 because he had information valuable to the Separatists.

His viewpoint in the OT seemed a little different though.

As far as the scene in the OP, magnaguards were, IIRC, some of the most dangerous types of droids and designed to be able to outwit and kill Jedi. I'd say whatever Obi-Wan did constitutes self-defense.

10. SambX

SambX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    Anakin killed an unarmed prisoner. Dooku was defenseless and there was no danger for Anakin.
    Obi-Wan on the other hand fighted against many droids and this particular droid was still dangerous.

11. janstett

May 29, 2004
    That they are sentient or that the story is told through their eyes? Don't hold back, man, say what you mean.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Both.

I see no reason to discuss it though, there is literally nothing anyone can say about this subject that is any interest to me.

13. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I don't think Obi Wan's view of 'expendable' is just to droids.
    In Ep III Anakin was going to go help out Oddball and co, Obi Wan said leave them. Obi is just mission first, even regarding himself. he tells Anakin to leave him during the Battle of Coruscant.

I suppose in TCW his view is more 'extreme', it's just a droid, but based solely on the films he is just a no nonsense Jedi.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hmm, I'm not a chess player, but that made me think of sacrificing your pawns to win. Obi-Wan did focus on the goal (saving the Chancellor's life for the "good of the Republic" even at the cost of Oddball's - and later on, his own - life, if necessary).

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The entire story is told through their eyes. That includes events they weren't present to see due to being on other planets at the time.

16. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    The difference between Obi-Wan killing the droid and, say, Anakin killing Dooku was that most beings don't consider droids as valuable as organics.

Also, in the case of Anakin vs. Dooku, there was no way Dooku could have continued defending himself, and had indeed dropped to his knees in defeat. But before Obi-Wan killed the magna guard, the droid was still reaching for his weapon, ready to continue the fight.

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Did anyone else notice in the scene where Obi-Wan is about to fight Grievous, the moment where he drops that vent on several guards... the last droid is clamouring for his weapon, and Obi-Wan seems to wait until the staff is activated to destroy it? I thought it could be a subtle nod to the Jedi Code, I'm pretty sure it has been said before.

And yet, he left Anakin to slowly burn to death on Mustafar. Hmmm . . . can't forget that.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The thread title is "Obi-Wan not killing unarmed enemies". Which is exactly what happened there too; he did not kill an unarmed enemy. He took Anakin out of the fight by cutting off his legs and arm. Once Anakin was lying there unarmed, Obi-Wan could only bring himself to leave Anakin's fate to the will of the Force. Mercy is irrelevant, he could not bring himself to kill Anakin directly, and he believed in the will of the Force. But to the point of this thread, he did not kill an unarmed opponent.

19. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Well, you're entirely wrong on both counts (and one of them is straight from George Lucas's mouth -- look up the influence of "Seven Samurai").

20. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    This doesn't surprise me afterall in the duel between Obi-Wan, and Hett in EU Obi cut off his arm, and refused to kill him sparing his life. There is also another story when in his exile he refused to kill Tusken Raiders instead just stripping them of their clothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.