main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Obi Wan vs Darth Maul lightsaber fight - Will it ever be topped??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Avnar, Nov 24, 2017.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    No worries :)

I actually see a little bit of similarity in Obi-Wan becoming his own master here and Luke declaring himself a Jedi in ROTJ.

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    True. But Maul's mindset wasn't the same at that moment as it was before. He believed that the duel is over. Which I can't blame him. Qui-Gon was dead, Obi-Wan was hanging from at the edge of pit, and his weapon discarded. Maul thought that even if Obi-Wan jumps from there, he couldn't do anything to him when he was weaponless. He completely forgot about Qui-Gon's lightsaber. If you look closely to Maul's face he is still trying to figure out what Obi-Wan was trying to do. And worst case scenario, Obi-Wan jumps and uses Qui-Gon's lightsaber before Maul can realize what he's doing. And then it was too late.

With Anakin, it was completely different. Obi-Wan specifically baited him to jump over himself so he could find the opening.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Also a great nomination... I remember the first time I watched it thinking "Man, they are really going after each other!"

Sarge likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    So far the only fight better than that was the four-way fight in The Old Republic, but it was all animated so it doesn't really count. Disney's fight style seems to demonstrate that it will never be topped

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] That fight was so bad that Samuel L Jackson said they needed to learn how to fight. And all emotional stakes are non-existent as you sit there baffled at how anyone could pretend someone with zero training could hold their own for 2 seconds against a highly trained Force user. LOL

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Rey vs. Kylo is basically just Kylo swiping wildly at Rey while Rey brings up her lightsaber to block just barely in time. Apparently a lot of people like that sort of thing because "it looks like they're actually trying to hit each other." But honestly the formula for the fight choreography in TFA seems pretty rote, and at the very least looks like something that's not very complicated or difficult to pull off compared to what Nick Gillard accomplished on the prequels, whose choreography features a much larger and more interesting variety of moves and styles. The prequel fights are much more like a fast-paced dance between skilled combatants, and if you allow yourself to get into the rhythm you really can feel the logic behind each move, and understand that they really are trying to hit each other, while also trying to block their opponent's blade from hitting them, and at other times proactively batting their opponent's blade away to create a potential opening. It's a much more intellectually engaging and satisfying experience, IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It was topped by the Battle of the Heroes.

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Great fight, no doubt about it and I think its hand down the best one of the prequels. For me though Vader v Luke in Empire is the best one.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Best duel of the saga: Any duel involving Darth Maul
    Worst duel of the saga: Any duel involving Finn

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think it's the best but I always thought the fight between Obi-Wan and Dooku in AOTC was underrated.

[​IMG]

It's just some nice, clean, yet effective choreography. I don't know, I like it.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So well said.

What is also so odd to me is that saying that "it looks like they're actually trying to hit each other." but then they almost don't hit each other at all and when they do it's like they don't really mean to.

In the prequels duelists get hit, sliced and killed.

Qui-Gon killed, Maul effectively killed and certainly sliced in half, Anakin loses arm up to elbow, Dooku loses hands then head, multiple Jedi cut down by Sidious, Sidious scarred, Mace loses hand, Vader loses limbs.

So far in the ST we have Finn NOT getting killed by Kylo Ren for no good reason and Ren gets a scar. The best fight (not duel) in the ST is not between Lightsaber wielding opponents.

As you say the moves are logical and have a pattern. They want to hit their opponent while not getting hit themselves and do moves that are about blocking and batting to creates openings.

Count Yubnub and ezekiel22x like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Very good call. I love the Clones duel. A bit more subdued, but still I find it extremely high on tension, as well as rich with symbolism (for instance Anakin cutting the power chord and inviting darkness on his own terms).

Anyways, my specific ordering wavers, but I'm confident the PT duels will not be topped.

12. Knoah

Knoah Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2017
    It was topped by the final fight in ROTS.

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The Rey and Kylo vs Praetorian guards fight was amazing. I still don't know how I feel about the film itself - But this was great! I know it's not a duel per se but wow =D= I also like Obi and Anakin vs the Magna guards...

14. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

[face_thinking]

Viperlord likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    What elevated this fight for me is really the soundtrack. If it wasn't for JW's spectacular performance I would have thought it was just a well-choreographed fight and that's it.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I liked Mace vs Sidious, Yoda vs Sidious, and Yoda vs Dooku better. Also I liked some TCW duels better, if you haven't seen them, CHECK THEM OUT. They are amazeballs.

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    New stuff.

Count Yubnub and Deliveranze like this.
  18. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    DOTF and BOTH are 1A and 1B in my opinion. Could have them go either way, both by far the best duels in all the movies.

Deliveranze and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  19. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I agree 100%

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree the AOTC duels were great, but the problem I have with them is that they are edited to hell. I feel like I'd have enjoyed them much more if each one lasted even just like 20 seconds longer!

My favorite single sequence (not entire duel) of lightsaber action is Anakin vs. Dooku on the Invisible Hand in ROTS. I remember when I saw that in the theater for the first time, remembering how Anakin said he's much more powerful. Then suddenly after Dooku's little quip about anger, Anakin just goes to town until he defeats him-I remember seeing all that and being like "holy crap!"

Regarding the TFA duel, and also the TLJ team-up scene, I personally felt like they were kind of lame. I agree that in TFA JW's score is what really carried that scene. In TLJ I did get a moment of "what are they gonna do!?" before I saw Kylo Ren and Rey join forces against the guards-but then after that, the scene was a mess. Mostly I'm just disappointed we haven't seen more lightsaber skill and force usage from Kylo Ren. I can understand Rey, since she's untrained - but I mean he struggled most of the time! Heck, even the OT looked more sleek and fancy compared to this...

I really have high hopes that we see some more proficient dueling in TROS...

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    To me the Luke Vader duel in ESB is the standard. No backflips, no saber twirling. Just high stakes tension. And the best reveal in movie history. (don't get me wrong the duels in TPM and ROTS were awesome)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Gräfin Zeppelin, Bee Bee and Sarge like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's second best

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I had to [face_tee_hee]

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OK, then, no silly extraneous backflips. :p

Bee Bee and christophero30 like this.
  25. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Are you referring to "The Force Awakens" duel? Because I thought it was just "meh". It didn't exactly blow my mind. As for "The Last Jedi" duel . . . quelle horreur!

I wasn't that impressed by the AOTC duels. But I did enjoy Obi-Wan's fight with Jango Fett. But the AOTC lightsaber duels were again . . . "meh" to me, incompare to the TPM and ROTS duels.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Deliveranze likes this.