main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-wan wants Anakin to come to him.......

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Tiershon_Fett, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    That's why he wants Luke out in the open. He's using *Luke* as bait. He's using his his own name, putting Anakin's son with his only link to family. I think Obi-wan is waiting there in case Vader shows up, knowing that he will come alone, if he does. Vader doen't like help, he works alone.

That's what I believe. That's the ballsy stance. Agree? Disagree?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Where? On Tatooine?

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes! He could feel if Vader comes near. He must have gotten nervous when Vader was over Tatooine. But I think he left his name Kenobi, and Luke's skywalker to draw vader if he ever came asking. Not to hide. I don't think Obi-wan is the hiding sort. He's pretty bold.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think you are paritally right..

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, I've always felt that Luke was merely bait.

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I don't think Obi-Wan is hiding either. If he were going to hide, he'd do a better job than that...hiding Luke with Anakin's stepbrother on Anakin's home planet with Anakin's last name, and taking up residence nearby himself using his own last name...I don't think so.

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    If Vader wanted Luke he wouldnt come alone--he have an army come and retrieve him. I doubt Obi Wan and Owen and Beru could repell what would no doubt be the finest warriors in the Empire--Vader wouldnt want any screw ups and would certainly send an undefeatable force.

and even still, Vader would be able to defeat Obi Wan alone.

8. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I dunno. I disagree.

I think Obi-Wan was hiding (and hiding Luke) on Tatoonie because that's the one place Anakin/Vader wouldn't come back.

If Obi Wan was luring Vader to him, Vader would certainly have destroyed him in one swift blow. Then he'd take his son and rule the galaxy. If that's true, Obi-Wan sure has some guts.

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    My thoughts exactly. Tatooine holds too much emotional baggage for Anakin/Vader that he won't willingly go back there and Ben knows this all too well. It is that same reason why Ben hides both Luke and himself there, Anakin/Vader ain't gonna look there unless he's forced to, something which Ben can control - for the most part.

10. Chewcacca1

Chewcacca1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Good point about the emotional baggage bit. I also believe Ben was there for Luke's protection. As was noted... he can feel when Vader is near. That is why he was on tatooine with Luke. If he were to feel Vader's presence, then Ben knew he had to spring into action. I doubt Ben was using Luke as bait. I mean, think about it... after 18 years of Vader not showing up, don't you think that if Ben was trying to bait Vader he would have done something different?

11. Amanamans_staff

Amanamans_staff Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2003
    The problem with this theory is - what was Obi-wan planning when Vader did show up? To turn him back to the light? I always got the impression that Obi-wan had given up on Anakin - "he's more machine now than man, twisted and evil". Why then would he want to draw him to Tatooine? Unless it was to kill Vader of course; is that what you're saying?

12. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Was Obi-Wan that confident that if Vader turned up he could beat him ? I doubt that Obi-wan would have been that stupid.

Is it possible that Obi-Wan had another plan up his sleeve ? To use Luke as bait he would have had to have been more powerful than the impression he gave in ANH to take Vader.

Would Vader have come alone ? I doubt it, he'd have used troops otherwise he'd have gone alone to Hoth and wouldnt have used troops at Endor like he did.

13. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Probably, but I don't think it works. On Tatooine Luke knows nothing about the Jedi. He can't even fight, so he can't help much. I don't think Obi-Wan alone can take Vader at that time.

14. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    okay, why exactly was Obi-Wan just sitting around for, but then when he gets the calling from Leia, all of a sudden he's interested in fighting the Empire again???

he even gets a weird look on his face, like he JUST had a revelation, and asks Luke to join him, come on, after 18 some odd years he JUST now thinks, "hey maybe I could train him...I'm suddenly bored of sitting on my old ass in the desert doing nothing"

I don't get it....it's all a little too convenient for the storyline

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Or, he knew all along what he was going to do but had to wait for the Force/destiny to give him a sign to begin. He couldn't train Luke as a baby - Vader and Palps would have noticed him as soon as he started splashing around in the Force, and Luke had to be old enough to defend himself or at least know why he shouldn't go along with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.