main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Obi-wan was wise to hide her from me"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by earlchinna, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    I think this line take a deeper meaning with the pt: palpatine lured anakin into the dark side by playing with his emotions about his wife padme, and so there were great chances that anakin would do the same with luke about his sister, the closest woman to him, if he knew it. And that's exactly what he does when he finally learns it.
    Now this line take its full sense, another great addition by the pt!

your thougths...

ps: i hope my english is good!

2. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I think it comes full circle to once again illustrate just how much Luke and Anakin's destinies have in common. They both follow down a same path, but it's Luke's choices that differentiate him from his father.

In this case, it's the same threat that tries to seduce both to the Dark Side. Anakin's fear of losing Padme is what lures him to the Dark Side. Luke's fear of losing Leia nearly sends him down the same path.

3. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    but luke does not fall not because of anakin but inspite of him.

4. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I thought I implied that ... What I was trying to say is that Vader was using the same bait that Palpatine used on Anakin to lure Luke to the Dark Side: fear of losing a loved one.

But you're right. In spite of Vader's taunts and the Emperor's goading, Luke rejected the Dark Side.

The question is, what made Luke in this case different from Vader?

I believe it's Luke's connection to Anakin/Vader. Before Luke discovered who his father was, Vader was that evil dark lord that killed his father. Initially, his confrontation with Vader was one of justice, maybe even revenge. When he learned the truth about his father, he had to reevaluate his situation.

Vader is Luke's dark mirror. He's the splash of cold water in his face, a very stark and personal example of what happens when someone falls to the Dark Side.

But Vader is also a lost loved one, the father Luke never had. For anyone who's ever been reunited with a loved one, I think you can relate. For example, I met my grandmother for the first time about ten years ago. I had all these expectations about her before I met her, and they were all disappointingly wrong. I don't want to sound like a cheap Hallmark card or a Full House episode, but despite all her misgivings and bitterness, I found that I cared about this person. And I think Luke is going through a similar experience.

So when Luke has Vader at his mercy, the Emperor goading to kill him, Luke already knows where the path to the Dark Side will take him.

5. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i believe that we all have a "carrot" that when dangled in front of us would make us choose it. Anakin had a carrot and the emperor found it rather easily. he thought he had luke's carrot but did not. the question is what is luke's carrot? does he have one?

6. Franchise469

Franchise469 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2006
    I think Vader himself was Luke's carrot. Look at what Luke's driving force is throughout ESB and ROTJ

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Han, Leia, the entire Rebel Alliance?

Han and Leia because they're his closest buddies. The rest of the Alliace, well he's been risking life and limb fighting alongside Wedge, Madine, Ackbar and the others....do you really want to hear that all the dangers you went through together, all the friends you lost in the war, led nowhere because somehow this Emperor dude was a step ahead of you all the way and led you all into this superlaser trap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.