main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Obi-Wan Workshop Beyond Challenge Updated 2/21!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_worried] Hello. * waves* If you clicked on this you're probably wondering what the heck my thread is doing on the Beyond boards. It's really very easy to explain. The February challenge for the Obi-Wan Character Workshop is to place Obi-Wan amongst the Beyond folk. I think it will be a fun challenge and will help those of us who rarely venture over here to get a feel for the place. I welcome all of you who read this to join in the challenge, whether it's to write something for the challenge to post, or just to read and reply. :) As with most of the challenges there are a few rules.

February?s Challenge

It?s been decided that we must expand out horizons and truly challenge ourselves this year. Because of that ( And because of my newest interest *cough* Jacen [face_batting] ) our next challenge will take us Beyond our regular stomping grounds and into un-chartered territory for most of us. The story thread in Saga will be locked during this challenge to ensure that everyone is posting their entries in the correct place.

Drum roll

February Challenge: Obi-Wan Kenobi Expanded!

Write a vignette that has Obi-Wan interacting with the post Saga characters.

Rules!!

1: Story must take place post Return of the Jedi period

2: Obi-Wan must be an active participant in the vignette.

3: Characters from the Original Trilogy or Expanded Universe must be present in the vignette with him.

4: Plot may involve Obi-Wan in any form except a silent corpse. A few suggestions for you, but you are not limited to these:

Blue ghostie
    Clone
    Old as dirt Obi

I encourage you all to take this opportunity to stretch your imaginations and tackle something new. :)

Please post any questions about the challenge on the Obi-Wan Character Workshop thread.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Shine
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Mara Jade, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Time: Pre-SOTP
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: Mara Jade has some unexpected company.

Written for the February Obi-Wan challenge.

Shine

?He needs you,? the voice interrupted her thoughts. Mara turned around and her eyes widened at the sight of the slightly transparent figure before her.

?Excuse me?? Even to her the words sounded bizarre.

He smiled and moved closer. ?The one you?re thinking of; he needs you.? His voice was gentle and cultured, and it soothed her troubled thoughts immediately.

Her shoulders drooped as she felt the tension begin to leave her body. ?Who are you?? Somehow, the answer was unimportant.

The old man shrugged and came to stand in front of her. ?You know who I am, don?t you?? A teasing smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

Mara tilted her head and looked at him closely, and then a brief light glinted in her eyes. ?Surely not,? she murmured to herself.

A soft chuckle and he nodded slowly. ?I?m afraid so.?

?General Kenobi??

He held up his hands to forestall her words. ?A general no longer; that is a military title I took out of necessity. I am a Jedi, no more and no less.?

?Luke said you were no longer able to appear,? she said, confused.

?Even I am not always right,? he admitted with a chagrined smile. ?Sometimes, if there is a need, we are allowed to come back ? briefly.?

She shook her head and sat down on the bed. Mara had been gazing out the window at the endless stretch of buildings that was Coruscant. Her thoughts had been on Luke and what she might feel for him.

?He?s thinking of you, too,? Obi-Wan offered disconcertingly.

Mara raised one eyebrow. ?Really? And you know this how??

He assumed a look of injured dignity. ?You would question the word of a Jedi??

?I question the word of what is clearly an apparition that is probably the result of too little sleep and too much shaak steak,? Mara grumbled.

Obi-Wan settled in a chair, putting his hands on his knees. ?Well now, I?m not quite sure what to say to that,? he admitted. ?Are you always this difficult??

?I?ve heard that I am,? she replied, clearly unrepentant.

To her surprise he laughed out loud, throwing his head back with obvious enthusiasm. ?You?re just what that boy needs!? He slapped his knee.

Her eyes narrowed dangerously. ?What that boy needs is none of my concern.?

The old Jedi became serious. ?He?s been sorely wounded, though he does not wear his scars for all to see.?

She deliberately ignored the pang his words induced. ?He looks just fine to me,? she said and then realized that her words could be taken more than one way. ?I mean, that he looks like he?s doing well without my help.?

Shaking his head, the old man sighed. ?He needs you and you need him,? he said softly. ?You may fight it if you like, but in the end you will both admit that you complete each other.?

Mara gave a humph of obvious disagreement and turned back toward the window. ?You?re an illusion, old man.?

?Perhaps,? he conceded. ?But that does not mean I am incorrect.?

?What makes you think I even like the farmboy??

?You shine when you?re around him, you?re a beacon in the Force,? he whispered.

She blinked rapidly and then sniffed. ?Maybe that?s just anger you sense. That man could drive a holy man to drink!?

?You shine, Mara Jade,? he insisted yet again. ?You blaze when you?re with him.?

She remained silent, unwilling to validate his words even with an argument. He seemed content to remain seated, not uttering a sound. Of course, the dead would be more patient than the living, she mused.

An odd flickering in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Obi-Wan?s image seemed to fade and then grew clear once more. ?I must be going now,? he said with a sad smile.

Against her will, a protest rose to her lips. He reached out toward her, as if to comfort her. ?You?ll be fine, Mara Jade,? he said quietly. ?Just remember that he makes you shine.?

Forcing th

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh sweeeeet! That was awesome! :D Well done once more! Loved the bit about 'you shine' [face_love] how sweet! And those two together rock anyhoo! Hehehe wonder if Luke's ears were burning ;) hehehe

Great work!

4. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Removing the Lumps -- A Drabble

"And by pulling in this 'lump' in the Force," Jacen explained to his uncle, "our machine can bring back Jedi who've passed."

"We have one!" Jaina shouted.

The air next to Luke shimmered, and something began to appear. "Is it Grandpa?" Jaina asked.

Luke shook his head. "Ben?" he gasped.

The glow faded, and the elderly Jedi stood before them. "Where am I?"

"Heads up!" A swoop skittered across the stone floor, throwing the twins' brother free before it sliced through the machine, then slammed into Ben and exploded.

"Nooooooooo!" Luke screamed.

Anakin sat up groggily. "Sorry, what'd I miss?"

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Awww, Obi's playing matchmaker! Very cute, VL!

LOL, Drabbo! That's so morbidly funny! :p

Shaindl

6. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    As has been said before, it's just not fair that you can always write something immediately. :p
    I like it. Never read any beyond-fiction before, but as long as Obi-Wan is in it, how can I resist? The first thought I had upon reading this, is that Mara and Obi-Wan have a lot in common in terms of stubbornness. :D I like how she wants to tell herself that it was just an illusion, because it would be easier that way, but simply can't quite believe it herself. Well done. :)

EDIT Sorry, Drabbo. You posted while I wrote. Could it be that you've seen too many Monty Python movies? This reminds me a lot of them. :p Enjoyed it of course because of that.

7. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Now, what was I saying to you in the Obi-thread, VaderLVR? [face_thinking] Such a wonderful post. ?Are you always this difficult?? Do you always disgust me with how fast you can come up with such great story telling? :p

[face_laugh] LOL, Drabbo! That was evil in a funny story of way.

8. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    VL That was sweet mush. :) It also gave me an idea for a discussion topic for the Workshop. :eek: Who better than Obi-Wan to guide Mara? :)

Drabbo [face_laugh] Poor Ben! Kinda fitting it was an Anakin that ended his brief afterlife. And I give you extra bonus points for slipping Jacen in there. :D

9. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    And I give you extra bonus points for slipping Jacen in there.

Points? Wait a minute, you didn't say we were getting points for this! Oh no...

:p

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    VL One of my favorite characters from Beyond! Thanks! :D I love that Ben and Mara are able to discuss the farmboy even though Mara is 'difficult'. Great job.

Drabbo You are one sick puppy. :p LOL. Good job.

11. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Thanks, all. [face_devil] I do try. :p

Could it be that you've seen too many Monty Python movies?

There weren't that many in the first place, so to see too many of them, I'd have to have found some never made. :p Anyway, the inspiration for this was Red Dwarf, specifically "Timeslides," in which something similar happens to Rimmer.

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    A Name of Honor
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan (of course), Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, Mara, Ben Skywalker
    Genre: vignette, AU
    Summary: written for the Obi-Wan thread challenge, two old friends decide to check in on someone they love.

Author's note: This is very similar to the first one, but much lighter in tone. It's meant to be a light, fluffy piece!

A Name of Honor

?He looks like you,? Obi-Wan said with a grin.

Anakin peered down and gave a proud smile. ?He?s a handsome one, all right,? he replied.

Obi-Wan clapped Anakin on the back in congratulations. ?Another grandson!? He shook his head. ?Soon, there?ll be Skywalkers all over the galaxy.? He shuddered in mock horror.

Anakin frowned. ?But this is the first one to carry the name Skywalker,? he reminded his old friend. ?Luke certainly took his time settling down.? The former Sith sounded rather annoyed with his son.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes and punched his friend lightly on the shoulder. ?Not everyone falls in love when they?re nine years old, you know.?

The friendly disagreement which resulted from Obi-Wan?s words was interrupted when Luke looked up and smiled. ?Did you come here to see your grandson or to tell me it took too long to make him??

Anakin and Obi-Wan settled down and gathered around the sleeping baby.

?What are you going to name him, son?? Anakin asked, keeping his eyes trained on his grandson.

Luke cleared his throat and looked rather uncomfortable. ?Um, well? Actually, Mara and I? um??

Looking at his son in surprise, Anakin said loudly ?Well spit it out Luke!?

Mara woke up and looked at the men gathered around her son. ?Shhhh- some of us are trying to sleep,? she said sternly. She gave a satisfied nod when they all mumbled apologies in a whisper. ?I swear, they think having a baby is easy! No trouble at all, he looks just like me, thank you very much he says! And who did all the hard work I ask you?? her grumbling settled into a light snore.

?You were saying Luke?? Obi-Wan prompted.

Luke swallowed hard and then looked at his father and his mentor. ?Well, we decided to name him Ben.?

A pleased smile spread across Anakin?s face as he threw his arm around his former Master. ?A fine choice, son, a fine choice!?

Obi-Wan appeared stunned and then looked up at his friend in concern. ?You?re not upset that they didn?t name him after you??

Anakin laughed and shook his head. ?By the Force, no! There?s already one Anakin in the galaxy and I don?t think we need two of them. It?d be too confusing anyway.? His voice suddenly seemed raspy. ?You?ve always been there for the Skywalkers; it?s fitting that one of us carry your name.?

Luke?s shoulders relaxed, his relief was clear. ?We didn?t want to hurt your feelings, father,? he began only to be forestalled by Anakin waving away his words.

?There?s no need for an explanation, son,? he said. ?I will watch young Ben with interest and in the hopes that he will live up to the name you have chosen.?

Obi-Wan looked at the newly named Ben more closely. ?Ben?? he whispered. Lightly, he touched the boy?s forehead. ?I will watch over him as well.?

Anakin put his arm around the old Jedi once more. ?You?ve got another Skywalker to look after, Obi-Wan,? he said with a grin. ?Are you sure you?re up to it? I mean, this little one could make your life miserable, just as I did.?

Looking up with an answering grin, he cradled Anakin?s face with his hands. ?Then it?s a good thing we?re dead then, isn?t it??

13. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Eeeekk! VaderLVR! That was a twisted ending if ever there was one! =D=

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    That was really lovely VL. I always imagined those two watching over the Skywalkers in the expanded universe. :) =D= Bravo!

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    VaderLVR64: Obi-Wan settled in a chair, putting his hands on his knees. ?Well now, I?m not quite sure what to say to that,? he admitted. ?Are you always this difficult??

?I?ve heard that I am,? she replied, clearly unrepentant.

[face_laugh] How very like Mara! [face_laugh] Well done :)
    Drabbo_Fett: LOL! How funny [face_laugh]
    VaderLVR64: Woah! Great ending to a very sweet story! =D=

Title: Use it for good.
    Author: Zebra3
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Alema Rar
    Time: after the events in The Unifying Force
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: A fight for survival puts Alema Rar in contact with a ghost from the past.
    Author's Note: So this is my first submission to a writing challenge. I hope I've done it right :)

[b]Use it for Good[/b]

Jedi Knight Alema Rar was running for her life.This mission hadn't gone exactly like she had planned. No. Not at all. What had started off as a simple assignment to apprehend a small band of rogue Yuuzhan Vong had now turned into a live or die situation. She had joined security officers on the pristine world of Naboo in searching the extensive cave system underneath the capital of Theed. They found signs of Vong life everywhere but the beings themselves had eluded them. Until today.

Their searches had taken them underneath the old city power generator. An odd place, Alema thought, for a group of religiously technophobic beings to hide. But it had been a trap. Five of them had attacked the search party and had taken them unaware. She had dispached one immediately but the others fought back all the more furiously. Somehow in the brutal assault one of the security officer's small detonator's had been activated and exploded, collapsing the entire tunnel. Alema had been pushing her foes backward and missed most of the blast but she had been thrown down, along with the Vong, and had dropped her lightsaber. Momentarily stunned, a cold chill went down her spine when she heard a crunching and sparking. The two Vong had destroyed her weapon.

Taking flight she held her bleeding arm close to her side and hoped that she could lose her enemies in the dim labyrinth. They had taken separate passageways and she knew they were trying to surround her. Running as desperately as she was, she didn't notice all of the debris around her feet and tumbled forward, scraping her chin on rocky ground. A gutteral laugh sounded behind her and she rolled over just in time to have a snake staff shoved into her face.

"Die [i]Jeeedi.[/i]" Frozen in horror, Alema saw death before her eyes. Bitterly she thought, so this is how I will meet my end? The same way as my sister? Grotesquely slain by the Vong machinations. Scrambling backward she felt her hand touch something cold and round. Suddenly she felt a commanding presence surround her.

[i]"Take the lightsaber. Defend yourself."[/i] Before she knew what she was doing she ignited the old weapon and raised it just in time to block the death stroke. Springing to her feet she met the Yuuzhan Vong warrior head on. Fueled by her rage and fear, the tall warrior was no match for her and she sent him to see whatever gods he believed in.

Alema paused to acknowledge what she had done and leaned against the cold wall for support. Too close. She had come too close to the darkside. Panting from the exertion she took a moment to rest and see what she had in her hands. It was an old and lightsaber, silver and black. How, by the force, had this old thing come to be down here?

[i]"It was once mine."[/i] The commanding presence was back but now it was given a pale ghostly form. An old man stood before her, bearded and clothed as a Jedi.

Alema was sure her heart had stopped. "Who are you?"

[i]"I was once known as Obi-Wan Kenobi."[/i] He smiled when he saw the young Twilek's eyes nearly pop right out of her head.

It took her a moment to find her voice. "What are you doing here?" But before the old man could answer she jerked around at the gutteral sound of the other Vong warrior calling to her partner. She

16. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Vl, another great entry. Very sweet. :)

Zebra3 - first, welcome to the insanity! Wonderful job - great way to bring the PT into the EU. Loved her finding Obi-Wan's first 'sabre. Looking forward to more from you!

Shaindl

17. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    VaderLVR

Loved them both! I enjoyed Obi-Wan's talk with Mara and liked the chat between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the second story. :)

Drabbo

Funny! [face_laugh]

Zebra3

I liked this one. That Alema found Obi-Wan's lightsaber from his duel with the Sith and now she has the honor of owning it. Cool idea. :)

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Drabbo [face_laugh] Wonderful!

Zebra3 =D= I loved it! Finding the saber was perfect!

19. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Wow, really liked that Zebra3! I always wonder what happened to Obi-Wan's lightsaber in TPM. :)

20. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Welcome zebra! :) I really love this one! Clever way to work Obi-Wan in and to give his lightsaber a new life. You did a great job describing his gentle and calming presence. =D=

21. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Title: Blue Meets Blue
    Author: ThrawnRocks
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Time: Durring The Thrawn Trilogy
    Genre: Humor
    Summary: Grand Admiral Thrawn awakes in the night, to a terrible fright!
    Disclaimer: Thrawn is the slave of Zahn, and Obi-wan's the pet of Uncle George

[b]Blue Meets Blue[/b]

[i]Ewoks! Ewoks everywhere! He couldn't move! Ewoks started piling up on him, and whacking him with sticks! Is this how the most brilliant tactition in the galaxy will meet his end?[/i]

Grand Admiral Thrawn sat up in his bed on board the [i]Chimaera[/i]. His entire body was covered with sweat. He was breathing heavy. Thrawn went to the refresher station and chugged down a glass of water.

[i]How peculiar. Why was I having a nightmare about Ewoks? I've never even encountered the little beasts![/i]

Thrawn stepped out of the refresher, and came face to face with an elderly man wearing Jedi robes. An elderly man wearing Jedi robes [i]who was glowing blue![/i] Thrawn rubbed his eyes. The man remained, this time wearing a mocking smile.

"Rukh!" he cried.

"Yes, Master?" Rukh asked from right behind his shoulder, in that slightly menacing Noghri way.

"Please escort this man out of here," Thrawn said gesturing at the glowing blue man.

"Master... there is nobody there..."

"He's standing right there, clear as day!"

"Perhaps you should get some rest, Master."

"Yes, yes. It's just a figment of my imagination." With that Thrawn went back into his bed, and closed his eyes.

He opened his eyes. The man was still there. This time chuckling at the Admiral. Thrawn sat up.

"Who are you? Get out of here! Why are you laughing at me?'

"I didn't laugh enough in my life," replied the man.

"Great. Now I'm seeing ghosts." Thrawn rubbed his eyes.

"I see why your intilect is so renowned."

"Even better. A sarcastic ghost. Who are you? Why are you bothering me?"

"Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, at your service," said Obi-Wan.

"Well, Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, at your service, would you kindly let me get some sleep?"

"No," said the Jedi with a grin.

"I suppose you have something to show me, or some task for me to perform. Or perhaps a warning. So get on with it, so I can get my sleep!"

"Mmm. Nope."

Thrawn was getting irritated now. "Then why are you here?!"

"Oh, I'm just wandering arround the galaxy laughing at various people's idiocies and mistakes," Kenobi said with a grin.

"So let me get this straight. You're a dead Jedi Master who's just wandering the galaxy laughing at people? Shouldn't you be doing something more usefull like tell nebulous prophocies to Skywalker or something?"

"Oh, I started out doing that, but that Skywalker kid gets boring so fast!"

"So now you're here laughing at my follies."

"Oh, yes. Even the greatest stratigist in the galaxy has the most hallarious fumbles."

"Would you mind giving me an example?"

"Yes I would."

"Wait! That's not fair! You come here in the middle of the night, tell me all about how you laugh at my follies, and then you refuse to tell me any of them?"

"You're a sharp one."

"Why I oughta!"

"Do what? I dare you. Strake me down. I shal become more powerfull then you can possibly imagine!"

"I'm not going to take any more of this! I'm going to bed. Good night. Go annoy Captain Pellaeon. He's sleeping in the room right across the hall."

"Very well. Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the Noghri bite!" He chuckled slightly menacingly, and dissapeared.

"I hate these dreams," said Thrawn, just as he drifted off to sleep.

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeh! Thanks for joining in! :)

"Oh, I started out doing that, but that Skywalker kid gets boring so fast!" [face_laugh]

This was hilarious! Just imagining Obi-Wan wandering around laughing at people! [face_laugh] Also love him repeating his strike me down line. Very funny! :D

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    ThrawnRocks: "Why I oughta!"

[face_laugh] LMAO!! I could just see Thrawn saying something like this [face_laugh]

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    obi_ew: What better thing is ther to do wonce you're one with the Force? :p What? You thought he only uses that line on Vader? :p Thanks :D

Zebra3: Glad you liked it :)

25. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I never imagined wandering over here- so this is what the EU thread looks like...

Great job to one and all so far. And welcome to the new faces in the crowd, they were very amusing entries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.