main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Obi-Wan Workshop Beyond Challenge Updated 2/21!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    No time to respond right now, but great stories so far everyone.

So, this is what the Beyond board looks like. :p

2. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    ThrawnRocks

Obi-Wan's ghost going around the galaxy annoying the bad guys. [face_laugh] Funny! :D

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Whoo! Hoo! Our first real vict...er, new challenger. :D

That was great ThrawnRocks.

"Oh, I started out doing that, but that Skywalker kid gets boring so fast!"

Very funny! [face_laugh]

4. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    So this is 'Beyond'...I have no clue what happened after ROTJ. :confused: Haven't gotten into reading any of the NJO books, but I've heard that some of them are good. Guess I need to expand my horizons. :p

VaderLVR64: I think Mara and Obi-Wan are a lot alike, they're both stubborn! :p I liked how he got through her defenses and made her think about the possibility of her and farmboy.

Drabbo: Anakin sat up groggily. "Sorry, what'd I miss?" [face_laugh] That was great!

VaderLVR64: That was sweet! :) I liked the lighthearted banter between the three. Looking up with an answering grin, he cradled Anakin's face with his hands. "Then it's a good thing we're dead then, isn't it?" Wasn't expecting that! :D Nice Twist!

Zebra3: I liked how Obi-Wan was still teaching even in death. And the lightsaber - nice touch! :)

ThrawnRocks: I too loved this line - "Oh, I started out doing that, but that Skywalker kid gets boring so fast!" [face_laugh] Great job with this! :)

5. VaderLVR

VaderLVR Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    It's amazing how varied the respones are! :D

I've enjoyed them all. It's nice to see Obi-Wan show up on the Beyond board! [face_devil]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm on my way out the door and probably won't be able to sneak back on the boards all day. So, here is the last plot bunny. I promise, I'm done! Now, on to the bearded one...

Welcome Back

Deep within a mountain on the volatile planet of Mustafar was a secret cloning facility. It had been founded during the years of the Clone Wars by the man who would become Emperor. It was here that the most secret and wicked plans were brought to fruition.

Still believing him to be a friend, and not yet realizing the evil that they invited into their midst, the Jedi allowed Palpatine had access to the many things that they might have hidden if they had realized the danger.

Among the many atrocities Palpatine committed, he stole cell samples from some of the most troublesome Jedi Knights. If he could not control the Jedi, then perhaps one day he could control their clones. Eventually, he settled for destroying that noble Order.

For reasons unknown, the Emperor closed the facility and decreed that all of its clones be destroyed. The scientists assigned to the project did as they were ordered and all of the clones were euthanized.

There was, however, one inexplicable exception.

In those abandoned laboratories silence reigned. But if one listened closely, and ventured far enough into the depths of the complex, there could be heard a soft beeping that never ceased. It became the heartbeat of the facility.

In a tank floated a human male who appeared to be approximately thirty-five standard years old, and in his prime. His skin seemed to shimmer in the pale light. Unencumbered by clothing, he resembled more a work of art than a man made of flesh and blood. There was no audience to appreciate his perfection, and so he rested in solitude.

The specialized fluid surrounding the clone was filtered every 37.5 standard Coruscant hours, which his creators had discovered kept the flesh in optimum condition. He was both protected and nourished carefully. Every precaution had been taken to keep the clone healthy.

Every now and then his limbs would jerk as if he endured a terrible nightmare from which he could not waken. But the years passed and then the decades. And still he rested in an unnaturally deep sleep. Everything that sustained him ran quite efficiently on the never ending supply of geothermal energy. Mustafar kept him alive.

He had been in the laboratory his whole life. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say he had been there the whole of his existence. For the man?s eyes had never seen sunshine, the sweet taste of wine had never touched his lips, and even his heartbeat had never altered from the precise beat that had been programmed into the equipment which kept him alive.

He existed, no more.

The facility had been so secret that with the Emperor?s death there was no one who remembered its existence. Many of the scientists involved in the project had forgotten it, and since it had been abandoned and everything supposedly destroyed, they never thought of it again. The one who had spared the man still slumbering within the mountain had died soon after leaving Mustafar, and took the secret with her. So there was no one left to remember him.

The man remained, forgotten by the galaxy.

Mustafar is not a planet that lends itself to peace and long periods of tranquility, but somehow his resting place was undisturbed for a generation, and then two, and still the years passed.

All around him the galaxy changed. A Republic died and an Empire was born. That Empire was swept away and a new Republic was created in its place. This new entity faced a great and terrible enemy from far away, and though it won the battle, the galaxy was changed yet again.

And still he slept, unchanging and unaware.

But nothing can remain unchanged forever, and the day came when the man was finally pulled from his deep and artificial sleep.

For him, it began as a low buzzing that was completely alien to him. It was not the familiar beep to which he had listened for decades. In fact, it

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    VaderLVR64, that was brilliant! Excellently written. For the love of Obi, you have to expand that into a full fic.

8. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    I am in total agreement with RK_Striker_JK_5. VL, that just needs to be expanded. It was wonderful.

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    VaderLVR64: :eek: Wow! great job once again! =D=

10. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh my! :eek: I wasn't expecting that! I agree with the others VL, make this a longer fic. Loved every word of it from beginning to end! :)

I would so love to see Luke's reaction to Obi-Wan. And how old is he? Leashed age or paunchy? [face_thinking]

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Ooh. What wonderful description. You make it completely believable that this clone has never really lived before and is experiencing everything for the first time. Another wonderful offering, VL. You're so full of fantastic ideas. :)

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I meant to add that he was unchanged, and he was the Obi from between AOTC and ROTS. I did add one line to that effect (about changing). No paunchy Obi yet! :D

13. Jedikma

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent, once again VL, but I found it creepy in a way. I couldn't shake off the feeling of Frankenstein. (The actual novel) Not sure why. :D

Great job! :)

14. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    No paunchy Obi yet!

There's nothing wrong with a little paunch. [face_mischief]

Oh, VaderLVR, that definitely deserves an expanded story! Wow! :eek:

15. Jedikma

Feb 5, 2004
    *sneaks in to post* Okay, I really wanted to give this challenge a try, so here is my offering. I did old as dirt Obi-Wan (Ben) since no one has done him yet and this story is AU. :D

~~~~~

Right Place, Wrong Time

?Look, Luke,? the elderly man sighed in exacerbation. ?I really wasn?t supposed to live this long. I was supposed to die by Vader?s sword years ago. If you hadn?t interfered I would be one with the Force by now.?

??Always in motion, the future is,? isn?t that what Master Yoda always said? Besides, Ben, I need you. I need you to help me rebuild the Order. I can?t do this all alone.? Luke countered.

Ben placed his hands on his knees and shifted in his chair. ?All right, then what questions do you have for me today??

Luke pulled up a chair across from him and sat down. ?Okay, Ben. Maybe I can dispense with all the questions on the details of the old Jedi philosophies for today. Besides I have something else on my mind.?

The older Jedi gave Luke a curious look. ?What is it, then??

?You see, there is this girl. Red-head, gorgeous, but I can?t tell if she likes me or wants to kill me half the time. I have to admit, though, I?m attracted to her. I was wondering what I should do??

Ben just stared at the young man.

?Well??

?You?re asking me? Why me??

?I don?t know. Maybe because I don?t have a father to ask and, when it comes to being a Jedi, you would know how to act in these situations. As a Jedi, I mean.?

?Sorry, Luke, I have no clue as to how to advise you.?

?Come on, Ben. Help me out here. Surely, you once had a girl you liked??

?That isn?t the point. Attachment was forbidden for Jedi and I couldn?t have a girl if I wanted one. I have no idea how to approach a girl about a date, nor have I any clue how to court one.?

Luke stared at Ben, dumbfounded. ?Attachment was forbidden? You never told me that! Why are you just now telling me that??

?Sure, I told you that, Luke.?

?No sir, you did not! I would have remembered that little detail. And how can that be anyway? What about my father and mother??

Ben began to shift uneasily in his chair. ?Sorry, I guess I must have forgotten that little detail. I?m an old man after all.?

?If attachment was forbidden, does that mean my parents weren?t married? Oh great! Am I some sort of Jedi love child??

?Now, now Luke. Take it easy. Your parents were married secretly. The Jedi didn?t know about it, of course, and would not have sanctioned the union if they had??

?Then, from a certain point of view, I am a Jedi love child!? Luke sighed. ?Just one more thing my father did wrong. Is there anything my father did right, Ben??

?Of course there is, Luke.? Ben began reassuringly. ?Anakin was a good friend. It?s just that he had his own idea about things and he pursued them. How else do you think he became the biggest screw up in the Jedi Order? But don?t be so hard on him. After all, if he hadn?t gotten involved with your mother you wouldn?t be here. If he hadn?t gotten so close to the Emperor, he wouldn?t have destroyed him. It was all part of his destiny, just as it is your destiny to rebuild the Jedi Order.?

?If it is my destiny to rebuild the Jedi Order, then I pretty much have free reign, right??

Ben thoughtfully stroked his beard. ?You are the last of the Jedi and the responsibility rests with you. I suppose there are some things you could do differently, but you should listen to the Force in all matters.?

?Well, the Force is telling me to get rid of the ?attachment is forbidden? rule!" Luke announced, rising from his chair. ?Now, if you can?t give me advice about how to pursue this woman, maybe Han can.?

The esteemed Jedi sighed and shook his head as Luke left the room. ?Why is it, I?ve never been able to be at the right place at the right time??

~~~~

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Cute. :) And I bet it darned near killed you not to mention her name, didn't it? :D

17. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    LOL [face_laugh] That was cute, kma! Yeah, I am sure Luke didn't hear about that rule.

oe: Isn't it funny how the one who created this mess...er, lovely challenge is now suffering from a certain phobia? [face_thinking]

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Shut up! I'm working on it as we speak you old Sithwitch! :p

19. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    JediKma: ?Now, if you can?t give me advice about how to pursue this woman, maybe Han can.?

[face_laugh] Yeah, I'm sure Han's the best person to talk to about women. [face_laugh]

Great story! :)

20. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Shut up! I'm working on it as we speak you old Sithwitch!

Sithwitch, yes. Old, no. I am after all, quite a bit younger than you, oe. ;)

Some pretty good turn out so far to a challenge it seemed would scare everyone to death. Hope we get to see some more good stuff. :)

21. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    VL: Loved it! Where's the rest?! Now you have two vigs to expand on. :D

Jedikma: The title definitely fits! [face_laugh] Poor Obi, claims he has no experience in the area Luke needs the most help on at the moment.

22. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm tired of staring at this, so here goes. :p Maybe someday I'll think of a better title, too.

The Old Man and the Knight

?You remind me of someone I once knew.?

The admission surprises Kyp Durron, since the old man is not fond of sharing his more personal memories. Most of what he has said in the past was directly related to Jedi training, though once in a while, as now, a comment slips out.

?And who would that be, Master Kenobi??

The face wrinkles even more as Obi-Wan smiles. ?He was rash, as you are. Bold and full of life. Always quick to take action.?

?I take it that you?re not speaking of Master Skywalker, then.?

Though it is common knowledge that Luke often thinks over the consequences of his actions before undertaking them, and certainly nothing to look down upon, it is a great source of amusement shared between Obi-Wan and Kyp.

Still, Kyp wonders about this person. Obi-Wan speaks of Anakin Skywalker at times, sharing the very dear memories he shares only with Luke and Kyp. Yet he imparts even painful memories to the academy students. They were different times, he often says, but it does not hurt to keep the past in mind.

Different times. Through the fight against the Emperor, the takeover of Coruscant, and the war against Thrawn, Obi-Wan instructs Luke, slowly showing him that there are other uses for a Jedi besides being a weapon. The Luke who emerges as a noble citizen of the New Republic is a calm, mature individual.

Much to Obi-Wan?s relief, the New Republic welcomes him openly. And when Luke raises the idea of starting a new Jedi Academy, Mon Mothma herself suggests a location.

Obi-Wan does not step in to take control, though Luke often asks him to. Different times, he tells Luke. Obi-Wan is of an older era, Luke is the start of the new. And since not all of the old traditions belong in this new Order, Obi-Wan is content to sit back in an advisory role.

But then there is Kyp.

?You?d be surprised how rash Luke was when I first met him. Nothing could deter him from his goal.?

?And still nothing does.?

?Yes, but he is more attuned to the means now, rather then the ends.?

It is Obi-Wan?s belief that serving the Force does not mean forsaking one?s identity. He has learned this after years of meditating on his time with Anakin. His first apprentice may have been destined to fall, but without the young man?s lively wit, there would be no happy memories to cherish. To this day he sees in Kyp Durron that same fire, that same passion for making the galaxy a batter place and going to desperate lengths to do so.

?Luke calmed with training. Anakin, it only added to his intensity, whether he meant it to or not.? Obi-Wan shifts slightly and winces as something inside his body creaks.

?You shouldn?t tire yourself, Master,? Kyp says, trying not to smile.

?I have every right to be tired. I?m old.? He fixes the much younger man with a mock accusing stare. ?But I would have been able to enjoy my old age, had I not been constantly chasing after padawans.?

?The exercise is good for your joints.?

?What exercise? My luck, I had padawans who all loved to fly. It?s much different chasing someone in space than on solid ground.?

Kyp is not Anakin, Obi-Wan tells himself when he first meets him. The boy?s raw power is not to be treated specially. Obi-Wan has already played his part in any kind of greater destiny by ensuring that the Chosen One?s son upholds the balance between Light and Dark. Kyp is simply a teenager, despite any similarities to Anakin. After all, not every Force-sensitive individual completely tips the scales in the galaxy.

Mostly, though, Obi-Wan wants to have faith in the boy. He wants to believe that with love and trust, Kyp can have the life that Anakin was robbed of. Kyp has no prophecy to bear, no balance to correct.

?I chase apprentices, too, you know.?

?You encourage them to run. I hardly think it?s the same thing.?

?I told you, the exercise. When I?m old, I don?t want to sound like a r

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Kyp! :) I'm so glad someone wrote one with him. Next to Jacen he's one of my favorite in the NJO. This was wonderful Jade! You kept me guessing till the very end who Obi-Wan was refering too. I thought for sure he was going to say Jinn. :D

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I thought he was going to say Anakin. :p

25. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Title: Falling Again
    Author: Lady_Jedi_Carenix
    Characters: Jacen Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Time: Post TUF
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: A very strange dream leaves Jacen in a strange place with unexpected company.

Falling again

For most people, experiencing a free-fall without anything to save themselves from hitting the ground at maximum speed is an absolutely terrifying and life-threatening situation. Fortunately, most dreams end before the fall reaches its end and the dreamer is left jarred awake, sometime gasping for breath as their heart pounds from the adrenaline rush.

This was not most dreams, and Jacen Solo was not most people.

I should do something about this

As real as it felt, Jacen knew with the certainty of all dreamers that he was, in fact, dreaming and that what he was experiencing was not real. Still, he could feel the wild wiping past his face, rushing through his hair, ripping at his clothes, and he kept falling with no end or ground in sight.

I will fly

Almost as soon as he thought it, he wanted to laugh at himself. Jedi do not fly. Jedi can fight with lightsabers, lift large rocks at will, and see both into the past and into the future with sometimes rather frightening clarity. But Jedi do not fly, not without star ships or rocket packs or?

I WILL FLY

Will is often the determining factor in what a Jedi can or cannot do. True, there were the rarities like Corran Horn who no matter how hard he concentrated could not move a small stone. In the dreamstate, Jacen saw no reason why he could not fly so long as he willed it, and hoped he would remember his thought when he woke up. Why should a Jedi not fly?

Now the ground came into sight, and Jacen began to slow his descent. The wind was still tearing past him, but Jacen knew he was in control now. To prove it, Jacen angled himself towards an area of flatter land instead of towards the jagged rocky field he would have fallen straight into. Time passed, the wind grew colder, and now the air seemed to take on a slight smell of dampness and decay. Jacen continued to control his descent, sometimes even pushing himself up higher to readjust his course to the flat land where he wanted to make his landing.

What a desolate place this is

Indeed, as far as Jacen could see, there was not a hint of green or life anywhere. The ground looked far greyer then it did brown, and Jacen began to wonder why he would dream of such a place when it also occurred to him that this was not his dream. Of course how exactly that worked Jacen?s dream-logic could not explain, but in the dream it made perfect sense. In fact, the only remarkable land mark that Jacen could see beyond the land being either rocky or smooth was a dark tower in the distance. From the air, Jacen could block his view of the strange jutting building with his thumb, but something inside him said that the tower was nothing trivial in this land.

Almost without realizing it, Jacen landed on the soft grey ground. He blinked for a moment as everything around him took on a surreal look. When things came back into focus Jacen found himself in the center of a flat valley that the old Jedi Academy would have fit into, completely surrounded by walls of rock. Deciding that nothing would be gained from just standing there, Jacen took a few steps towards the nearest rock wall when he heard a howl that sent involuntary shivers up his spine. He paused for a moment, stretching out with his feelings, to see if he could identify where the howl came from.

RUN CHILD RUN

Startled, Jacen turned all around. Where had that voice come from? Feeling a slight tug in the Force to head to the south rock wall, Jacen began to jog which turned into a desperate run. Jacen knew he was not afraid, he did not feel afraid, but there was something urgent in that voice and something dark in that single howl which urged Jacen to move faster. Approaching the rock wall, Jacen felt his heart sink as he saw no hand holds, no openings that would allow him to either climb up o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.