main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Obi-Wan Workshop Beyond Challenge Updated 2/21!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Hi Lady_Jedi_Carenix . Welcome and thank you for joining in. :)

Jacen. :) I was so thrilled to see one about him. I loved how you wrote Obi-Wan. I could almost hear Alec Guiness's voice in my head as I read his words. Your descriptions were excellent and painted a vivid picture for me as I read. Lovely piece of work.

Mine's Jacen and along similar lines. Must find the courage to post it. [face_worried]

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    ThrawnRocks - cute! I could imagine Obi having fun running around the galaxy haunting people. :D

VL - another great vig! :)

Kma, you hinted at what you really wanted to write - sneaky and great job! :p

Jade, I love the idea of Kyp being Obi's third and final Padawan. Makes it a full circle somehow.

LJC- Welcome to the insanity - only Jade bites. :D That was a lovely piece, very surreal - I'd love to know what happens when he reaches the tower. :)

Looking forward to more SOON! ;)

Shaindl

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Wow Jade! That was just wonderful. I loved it, especially the tone and tense it was written in. Just perfect.

I thought he was going to say Qui-Gon.

I thought he was going to say Anakin.

Now for my daily: You scare me. [face_worried]

Lady Jedi Carenix: Wow! I want to know who those grey people were. I liked the whole falling in the dream and how Jacen took control. That was great.

And you made oe's day. [face_laugh]

4. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    VL Interesting change for Obi-Wan - going from (presumeably) discouraging Jedi romance to encouraging it instead. Nice. And your second one with checking on the new grandkid - too cute! :D But I loved the Obi-Wan clone one best and I join wholeheartedly in the clamoring for you to expand that into a full fic. You did a brilliant job of conveying what it was like for him. And I loved the way the two of them interacted. waggles fingers in front of VL's face Write full story, you will. frowns at fingers when nothing happens

Drabbo LOL! You are too too funny. I think you should be rationed or something. I dang near pulled a muscle laughing. I warn ya if I do, I'm sending the pt bill to you. I loved that! Poor Obi-Wan. I guess poor Luke too, now that I think about it.

Zebra3 Very nice! I am not familiar with that part of the Beyond era but I loved your descriptions and how you chose to bring Obi-Wan there. Loved the use of his lightsaber. =D=

ThrawnRocks [face_laugh] I love the idea of Obi-Wan going around harrassing people by laughing at them but refusing to say way. Excellent.

Jedikma Ah, the original side of the coin. Obi-Wan should have known that that idea wouldn't fly with Luke. But was Obi really telling the truth there? ;)

Jade Nice! I like the spare way you phrased that. But I'm not reading Hemingway again no matter how curious I am about the relevance.

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Oooohh. Nice in a hair raising sort of way. Excellent dream imagery there. I think you need to expand this one further too. I want to know who in in that tower and what he/she/it is going to say. I'm with OE, I could see him as well as hear him.

OK, for some reason, I was able to come up with something for this. Though at the other end of the years for Beyond from most of you. And it is totally unbeta'd even by me so if there is a typo that completely confudles the whole meaning of the tale, well, I'll have to fix it later because I've gotta post and skedaddle. I'm not at all convinced I have the characterizations right and I will have to watch all the movies at least twice through to decide. So fixing it up will have to wait a while.

Set something like a year after RotJ and either before Courtship or in an AU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not Again!

Han Solo slept peacefully in his cabin aboard the New Republic cruiser. His own ship, the Millenium Falcon was itself resting in the main hanger of the large cruiser. All was right with his world...

"Hissst. Wake up."

Han Solo rolled over in his sleep.

"Captain Solo, wake up!"

Han Solo's hand came up to brush at his ear just as he began to snore softly.

"Han Solo, WAKE UP!"

"Eh? What... Who..." Han Solo jerked awake, sat up and looked around the room. There was an odd blue glow... "Oh, no. Not again. Not you, again." Han scrambled back in his bed until his back hit the bulkhead. "I'm not doing you any more favors, Old Man." There was more rigid determination than sleepy confusion in his voice by the time he finished.

Obi-Wan Kenobi looked over his shoulder as if he were being hunted and then said, "Quiet. I'm the one doing you the favor, this time."

"What?" Han was certain he hadn't heard right. Ever since the Battle of Endor had killed the Emperor, he'd been getting random visits from Obi-Wan Kenobi. The first time, Obi-Wan had wanted him to find a journal some woman had written. It had taken months and he'd lost out on a number of deals. 'Course, Leia had been overjoyed to find out what he had brought her was her mother's journal of the early days of her marriage. So he probably had come out ahead, he admitted grudgingly.

But then there had been the three month hunt for a box that meant nothing and looked like even less to him. Again with the accompanying loss of jobs that might have actually made money. Luke had been over the moon though. Calling it the most important holochron yet. Whatever that meant. And while it was nice to plea

5. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    That was great! Overprotective anakin is so funny!

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    K-D"Captain Solo is like you in some ways. He has undoubtedly retreated to the comfort of his own ship in the main hanger deck. If you do not find him in the Falcon's cockpit, look in his bunk there." Obi-Wan patted Anakin's shoulder. "And be nice to him. I think he is going to be the father of the first of your grandchildren." With a chuckle at the look of consternation that covered Anakin's face, Obi-Wan Kenobi faded to once more become one with the Force.

**snort**

Loved it!

?Come on, Ben. Help me out here. Surely, you once had a girl you liked??

?That isn?t the point. Attachment was forbidden for Jedi and I couldn?t have a girl if I wanted one. I have no idea how to approach a girl about a date, nor have I any clue how to court one.?

Luke stared at Ben, dumbfounded. ?Attachment was forbidden? You never told me that! Why are you just now telling me that??

?Sure, I told you that, Luke.?

?No sir, you did not! I would have remembered that little detail. And how can that be anyway? What about my father and mother??

Ben began to shift uneasily in his chair. ?Sorry, I guess I must have forgotten that little detail. I?m an old man after all.?

[face_laugh] Jedikma!

Poor Luke - no one to give him advice.

JadeSolo

?He was often horribly stubborn, this person I knew.?

?Sounds very much like me. Did he have my temper as well??

?At one point, yes. He certainly did.?

Brushing back dark strands of hair, Kyp studies his beloved master. ?So who was this mysterious person??

Obi-Wan smiles with that mischievous twinkle in his eyes that Kyp knows all too well. ?Why, he was me, of course.?

Bursting with laughter, the knight asks, ?You mean you haven?t changed at all??

?Of course I have.? One hand reaches over to grasp Kyp?s shoulder affectionately, and blue-gray eyes meet dark green. ?My young apprentice, I no longer worry about looking old.?

Great twist at the end! [face_laugh]

7. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] Loved it KD! Poor Han! I'm sure old Ben would have taken great delight in tormenting him over the years. Adding Anakin only made his misery even funnier. :D

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ?You are a Jedi, aren?t you?? Jacen asked.

?As are you,? the old man replied with a sly smile.

Jacen couldn?t help but smile back. He almost didn?t want to ask the next question, but felt he had to know for certain, ?Are you dead??

The old man drew in a breath and replied, ?Yes, young Jedi, I am dead.? The old man quickly added, ?But it isn?t a bad thing. Death is just another path that we all must take in our great journey of existence.?

Turning to Jacen, the old man dumped the coiled rope in Jacen?s arms. ?But you have a different path to travel this day,? the old man said.

Lady_Jedi

I agree, you did a wonderful job of bringing to mind Alec Guiness! Welcome to the thread and =D=

Loved it!

9. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    KD: LOL :) Obi-Wan sending Han on all those missions. He wasn't kidding when he said he was doing Han a favor. Too bad he didn't listen.

"I want to know what he thinks he is doing with my daughter."

[face_laugh]

10. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    KD, that was great! Anakin threatening Han from the other side is something I could so see him doing. :D

11. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    She did make my day. :) Here goes nothing. [face_worried]

Title: Shed My Skin

Author: obi_ew

Characters: Jacen Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Summary: The Force gives Jacen a new teacher to guide him on his journey.

Thanks: To Shaindl for the beta and Jade for offering her thoughts on my first attempt at Jacen. :) And to the band AlterBridge for the title.

Shed My Skin

He sat on the cliff wall, legs hanging over the side beating a steady rhythm as he stared down on the jungle spread out below. His head was filled with a jumble of disconnecting images and thoughts of his past and more recent torture at the hands of the Vong?s Embrace of Pain. A dirtied hand reached beneath the robeskin he wore and cautiously touched the newly healed scar that now marred his tanned flesh. If he shut his eyes he could still feel and hear the slave seed whispering just beneath the top layer of his skin.

Vongsense.

What did it mean that he had become so attuned to their enemy? What did it make him, now that he carried this heightened sense of the Vong and a new reluctance to arbitrarily wipe out the very beings that had killed his baby brother? How could he face his family and friends, knowing the instant they looked into his eyes they?d notice the changes in him? Even though he?d always been out of sync with his fellow Jedi, this went way beyond that. His torture had altered him at a molecular level, shaping him into a person he wouldn?t recognize if he looked into a mirror.

He was a traitor to everything those he loved and admired fought and died for.

"On the outside looking in as usual, Solo," Jacen silently berated himself.

An immediate wince accompanied the words, a weary sigh slipping through parted lips. He could just imagine his sibling's reaction to his brief moment of melancholy. Jaina would have punched him on the arm while leveling him with one of those looks. The ones that made him feel as if his mother had just caught him doing something he shouldn?t have been, followed closely by one of disappointment.

Anakin.

His chest ached from something much worse than the pain of the slave seed. Over the years he and his younger brother had each argued their own viewpoint with just as much energy as they had expended on their lightsaber training. When it came to the Force and the path the Jedi should be taking, they had most often been on opposite ends of the spectrum. Anakin no doubt would have rolled his eyes at Jacen?s piteous words and stormed off.

Then why did he sense that out of all the members of his family it would have been Anakin who could have understood the new Jacen? Jaina was too much of a fighter to even contemplate lowering their defenses against the enemy. In her eyes the galaxy would only be safe when the Vong were either exterminated or incapacitated to such an extent that they were rendered harmless. Anakin at least had seen another side to the Vong that had caused him to question his own thirst for revenge.

"Revenge is not a Jedi trait."

The refined, accented voice startled him out of his internal musings, his gaze flying up toward the figure who stood over him. A ray of sun streamed through an overhanging frond, leaving the stranger's face a blur of rainbowed lights. Shielding his eyes with a hand, Jacen squinted in an attempt to make out his visitor?s features.

"Who are you?"

"Someone who understands the internal battle you?re engaged in with your experiences and your beliefs."

Jacen snorted at the response. "How could you possibly understand? You don?t even know me."

The man was silent for a time before moving forward in order to take a seat next to the young Jedi. A perplexed frown furrowed Jacen?s brow as he took a silent inventory of his companion and his attire. The deep brown hooded robe was similar to the ones worn by the New Order and cove

12. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Great job, OE! Seems like the kid could use the guidance of one who's been through a lot. The Force chose wisely. :) More Jacen soon? ;)

13. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Jade

Very nice! I enjoyed that, Obi remembering himself. :)

Lady_Jedi_Carenix

That was different. :) Liked the surreal feel of being in the dream.

KD

LOL Obi-Wan warning Han that Anakin was coming. :D That was cute.

EDIT

OE

You slipped that in on me while I was commenting on the others. I loved this one!!! :D Well done! And I see your version of Obi is braided! :D I like Jacen, here, too.

14. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    VaderLVR64: For "Shine" -- Very cute. :) I like how Mara reacted to Obi-Wan as not being sure if it was real or the result of too make shaak steak. ;) [face_laugh] :)

For "A Name of Honor" -- nice twisted ending. [face_shocked] :)

For "Welcome Back" (man are you prolific :p) -- Very sweet, very well written, and could easily be expanded upon (hint hint ;)).

Drabbo_Fett: Weird... 8-} but amusing. [face_laugh] :)

Zebra3: Yay for Alema! :D I really like the title; it's a good axiom for a Jedi to follow. ;) :)

Jedikma: Cute. :) A few little details (like forbidding attachment) can mean a great deal; nice Luke/Obi interaction. :)

ThrawnRocks: [face_laugh] Send in the Ewoks! :D

JadeSolo: Kyp and Obi-Wan? Now there's a combination I wasn't really expecting. Good stuff. :)

obi-ew: I loved how you wrote Obi-Wan. I could almost hear Alec Guiness's voice in my head as I read his words.

Mission accomplished! :D I've never written a fan fic with Obi-Wan (in fact I've really only recently started working on a fanfic with Jacen) so I was hoping I'd get it right. :) I'm planning to expand it/incorporate it into the fanfic that I'm working on; the muse basically beat me on the head and one of my classes for the day got cancelled so I wrote my piece. :)

EDIT: I have more to say, but I have to go now so I'll say more tommorrow.

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Hmm, so that's your post, oe, huh? All the waffling and whining and crying and that is what you give us? Geez...

You silly old fool! That was great and I don't know what you were so worried about. :) =D= Do another one! You know you are dying too. ;)

16. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Jade: Kyp and Obi, wonderful combination. :) I like how Obi accepted Kyp back without judgement.

Lady_Jedi_Carenix: Where's the rest of the fic? I too am wondering who's in the tower and what news he or she has for Jacen. You're going to write a companion piece, right? :) Wonderful job with this, I enjoyed every moment.

KD: [face_laugh] I like how you portrayed Anakin being so protective of his daughter...I wonder if that's how Ani would have been had he lived. I liked how Obi told Anakin to play nice before he disappeared and leaving his former padawan to apologize. :)

OE: Where's the rest? I was reading and it just stopped. Jacen seems kinda cool, of course, adding braided Obi was definitely a bonus! :D

17. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    JadeSolo: Obi-Wan smiles with that mischievous twinkle in his eyes that Kyp knows all too well. ?Why, he was me, of course.?

LOL! [face_laugh] Awesome way to portray an old Obi!

Lady_Jedi_Carenix: Ohhh!! Cryptic dreams, Jacen and Obi-Wan :D Well done!

Knight_Dilettante: And it wasn't nearly as nice as pleasing Leia.

[face_laugh] That's such a Han thing to say! Love the idea of the Anakin keeping an eye on his kids :)

obi-ew: The stranger's lips twitched at his retort. "That?s your uncle speaking."

"I suppose you?re going to tell me you knew Uncle Luke also?"

"I was once his tutor."

Jacen vigorously shook his head in denial. "Uncle Luke was taught by two of the greatest Jedi to ever live. Master Yoda and Ben Kenobi."

"Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"You knew Obi-Wan Kenobi also?"

"Of course I knew him! He?s me!"

:D Love the way this mirror's Luke's conversation with Ben in A New Hope :D Well done!

18. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow. There's been some amazingly good writing so far. =D=

And just what did you have to be nervous about, o_e? [face_thinking] That was fantastic. :)

19. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Some amazing entries so far! I wasn't sure I was seeing things correctly when I saw the Obi-Wan challenge thread on these boards. But wonderful work everyone!

Can't wait for more. I love seeing Obi-Wan on the Beyond boards. :)

20. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    I have to run to work, but I'm looking forward to reading and catching up! :D

21. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Wa-ha! Time to finish my reply and lavish people with praise that I hadn't gotten to. ;) :D

Knight_Dilettante: Awww! :D [face_laugh] Nice Anakin/Obi interaction. :)

obi-ew: Oh...my...Force. :eek: The characterization of Jacen is DEAD ON. :D *is taking notes* Seriously, your piece rocks my socks.

"I can?t believe she is still getting away with that rot!"

[face_laugh] Good Obi-Wan characterization too. :)

Big thank you to the kind words/encouragement to flesh out the piece I posted. :D I'm working on it, I'm working on it! ;) :D [face_laugh] I admit this was a bit of a "test run" to see how people would react and the results have been extremely encouraging (thank you!). :)

22. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, I would like to thank JadeSolo for this PB, because I wasn't coming up with anything on my own. This is about as Beyound as I get. :p

Leaving the Past Behind

The evening sky of Endor was clear with it?s multitude of stars. In the distance, the sounds of music and celebration could be heard, a mere echo of the jubilancy being expressed all throughout the systems represented by each star. Anakin Skywalker stood and watched the festivities from a distance before turning and walking into the dense forest. He saw the object of his search seated and leaning, as much as an apparition could, against a tree.

?Master??

The figure stayed motionless for a moment, then spoke without turning.

?So, I am master again.?

Anakin lowered his head.

?If I remember correctly, you killed me the last time we saw each other,? Obi-Wan said.

Anakin was somewhat reassured by the hint of humor in his former mentor?s voice.

?And the time before that you nearly killed me.?

?Not exactly a functional master and apprentice relationship,? Obi-Wan said standing.

He continued along the path Anakin had started down and Anakin fell into step beside him. Translucent robes that were once a deep brown scraped against the underbrush.

?I?ve spoke with Luke some more. He?s a good man.?

?He was determined to save you.?

Anakin suddenly stopped as they neared a clearing.

?There she is,? he whispered, grabbing Obi-Wan?s arm and ducking back behind some brush.

Obi-Wan looked over to see Leia sitting in the clearing.

?She looks so much like Padme,? Anakin said. ?Another angel,? he whispered in reverence.?

?Have you talked to her?? Obi-Wan asked.

?Luke said that would be a bad idea,? Anakin said with disappointment.

?Then, I?d listen to him.?

Anakin got a mischevious twinkle in his eye.

?You go talk to her.?

Obi-Wan started to protest, but found he couldn?t resist his former apprentice?s pleading stare. He cautiously stepped out into the clearing, hoping not to startle her. He walked over and stood behind her.

?You seem deep in thought,? he said gently.

Leia turned around. She wasn?t too startled by the apparition. Luke had told her she might see one. Looking more closely, there was something familiar about him.

?Obi-Wan Kenobi??

?Apparently,? he said. ?There is someone who would like to talk to you.?

Leia sighed deeply.

?Did Luke send you?? she asked pointedly.

?No.?

?He sent you then,? she said.

Obi-Wan nodded his head.

?I told Luke that I am still having trouble dealing with this. He turned from light to dark to light again??

?Yes, I know it is hard to accept. Believe me.?

?I barely understand what that means.?

She paused.

?He is responsible for destroying Alderaan; the only family I ever knew. It is hard to just accept after so many atrocities.?

Obi-Wan stood to walk away.

?He?s right. You do look so much like your mother.?

A tear began to trace its way down her cheek.

?Tell him I need time. Help him to understand.?

?I will,? Obi-Wan said.

He walked back to where Anakin was waiting.

?She doesn?t want anything to do with me,? he said in a haunted tone.

?Can you blame her Anakin??

?No.?

?Give her time. I had a lot of time on Tatooine to come to terms with your betrayal and the fact that you destroyed the temple and everyone that ever meant anything to me.?

Anakin cringed.

?She just found out she?s your daughter. Giver her time.?

Anakin nodded.

?Thank you for hiding them both from me,? he said.

?It was the will of the Force.?

Both apparitions looked up as a new presence entered the clearing. Han sat down next Leia and wrapped his arm around her, talking to her in soothing tones.

?I don?t think I like his intentions towards her,? Anakin said.

?I don?t think you have a choice.?

?You know, I never would have chosen for my daughter to fall in love with a scruffy Correllian smuggler.?

Obi-Wan laughed out loud.

?I never liked that my padawan fell in love w

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :) That was sweet Noi. But a bit sad. :( I can fully understand Leia having trouble accepting that Vader was her father.

Thanks for the comments on my vig. I sprouted a few more gray hairs worrying about it but I did enjoy writing Jacen. :)

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Master_Noi: ?I don?t think I like his intentions towards her,? Anakin said.

?I don?t think you have a choice.?

?You know, I never would have chosen for my daughter to fall in love with a scruffy Correllian smuggler.?

Obi-Wan laughed out loud.

?I never liked that my padawan fell in love with a senator from Naboo.

[face_laugh] Excellent! Great story :)

25. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Noi

That was great! I loved it! I think Leia would need a lot more time to deal with Vader being her father because she was around to witness so much more destruction done by Vader.

Loved the last line, too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.