main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-wan's changing hair in TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Blur, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey everyone - first of all, please note that this post is NOT an Episode 1 bash - IMHO the film is brilliant on many different levels, and is also my favorite PT film. Just look at some of my recent posts regarding the film.

That being said, I wanted to point out a minor issue that I've had with the film since it was first released, which has nothing to do with the plot, acting, characterization, effects, etc. This is that Ewan M'.s hair goes back and forth from his real hair to what is obviously a hairpiece (that it looks like he's wearing over his actual hair). Back in '99, I remember reading somewhere that the reason for this was that Ewan was either preparing for or filming another movie at the same time as he was acting in TPM, so had a different hairstyle & had to cover his real hair up with the wig.

This is quite distracting, and is most obvious when Qui-gon and Obi-wan meet Jar Jar for the first time on Naboo. Though, it is also obvious in other parts of the film.

I completely get and understand why actors/actresses wear hairpieces and/or hair extensions in films, dye their hair, shave their heads, etc. - I have no problem with this at all (in fact, IIRC Qui-gon's long hair in TPM was a hairpiece as well).

The issue I have is that, in the case of Obi-wan in TPM, it was very poor continuity. I get that they filmed the scenes at different times (obviously), but it would have been nice to have had Ewan wear the wig the whole time so that he looked the same throughout the entire film ...Maybe this was impossible for whatever reason, but it is quite distracting.

That being said, IIRC I didn't notice this the first time I saw the film, only on subsequent viewings. And, it's much more obvious on a larger screen than on a smaller one - though to me it's really obvious on the superb Blu-ray of the film.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Similar problem in AOTC, he had to get a buzzcut before filming was done, and the wig is so obvious, particularly during the scene with Anakin in the elevator. I don't recall as much of a problem with it in TPM, though, if you can find some pictures then maybe I would notice it.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It makes it funnier because he's laughing like an idiot in that scene. "Oh... yes." Hmmp-hhhmmp-hhhhmp-hhhhmp.

Anyway, that electrified rug on Ewan McGregor's head in the first movie just seems, I dunno... so appropriately awkward and beautifully cheesy.

In their meditations with nature, some prequel Jedi would choose to construct a bird's nest on their head, in the hopes of cultivating a more intimate bond with the Force -- or the force of poop, at any rate.

The stiff, puffed-up wig, which blatantly doesn't match the tone or thickness of Ewan's real hair, actually does help emphasize, in my opinion, a certain, well... similitude between Obi-Wan and Maul (they're both wearing head appliances of a similar length). Really helps in the duel.

Is Darth Maul actually a "dark" Kenobi? Watch the shots more closely next time. You must just discover a shocking truth. For accentuating this character mirroring, and just for being a noticeable part of the serial enterprise of Star Wars, particularly its opening chapter, which is full of playful oddity and rapid costume changes (Padme/Amidala), I think the 'Wan's hairdo has its place. :)

smuggler_vola and StarWarsVerses like this.
  4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Can't locate any pics., but next time you watch TPM pay special attention to the scene when Obi-wan & Qui-gon first meet Jar Jar on Naboo. The specific scene when Jar Jar moves quickly & Obi-wan has to duck to avoid his long ears is one of the most obvious "before and after" scenes with Obi-wan's different hair.

That being said, if others haven't noticed this as much as I have it may mean it's not as evident as I first thought. I guess it would also depend on how many times you've seen the film....

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The differences both in TPM and much more noticeable in AotC (fake hair and beard) is due to pick-ups and re-shoots almost a year after principal photography is done. Although I don't think he's wearing a wig in TPM's case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I've seen the "different hair" in TPM - even the way the "ponytail" is tied is different. It's not as blatant as in AoTC but it is clearly visible.

Cryogenic likes this.
  7. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Psssshhhh, I hadn't noticed this. And now I've got to try and forget this thread so I don't spend the whole movie staring at Obi-Wan's hair next time I watch TPM...

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No, stare at his eyes instead.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
  10. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I think its fairly amusing. But other than that I don't care!

This reminds a lot of Radagast from the hobbit part 1. :p

11. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Qui-Gon used Alderaanian rabbits for his sled...

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The pick-ups were shot a year later than principal photography, so yes,it was difficult to keep continuity.

13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    The force is strong with him :)

14. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Now this will stand out every time I watch it.

Darth kRud likes this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I still haven't noticed it... and I just watched it on bluray two weeks ago.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, you do (re)watch the movie after all.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Hmmm, I've definitely heard that and noticed, especially the fake beard, in AotC but I hadn't heard that about TPM. Though it did seem he looked weird on some shots. I know pickups for this kinda thing are done way later and at one point he was buzzed for Blackhawk Down. Are there any pictures to compare the two looks? I'm not sure which is which up there.

In any case I'm happy to stare at any part of him! And I love excuses to watch again, why not? :)

18. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    He watches the edited versions. ;)

However, I completely forgot about the changing hair when I watched TPM two weeks ago. That's how into the movies I usually am.

19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course. I am a fan of Star Wars. Don't you?

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I do. But then again, I don't find them bad movies at all. ;)

BoromirsFan likes this.
  21. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    You can really see the difference here I think:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    (1) Always two (1), there are (2).

(2) No more (1), no less (2).

Two sagas, two trilogies.

Light Side, Dark Side.

Living Force, Unifying Force.

Face forward, face down.

Two different Obi-Wans.

Two ways to light an actor.

Two ways to wear a braid.

Two ways to compose a picture.

Etc.

"She's carrying twins..."

Right hand, left hand.

Left hand, right hand.

Master, apprentice.

Apprentice, master.

Neat tunic, rumpled tunic.

Rumpled tunic, neat tunic.

Symmetry, asymmetry.

That's what I said.

"The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way..."

Principal photography, pickup shooting.

Changes in space and time.

Was one of these shot on film and one of them shot on digital, perhaps?

Well, a movie's got to have some secrets, ain't it?

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I have seen it all now. Obi's wig has ruined my childhood.

24. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    There are some pretty decent flicks hiding behind GL's poop and fart jokes.

25. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Concession? HOORAY!

Even though your signature reads thus:

Episode VII:
    Hoping for, "As good as the originals!!"
    Will settle for, "Not as bad as the prequels!!

Maybe you still need to remove several more layers of poop-and-fart-joke lenses. [face_batting]

Here, let me help you. What do you see here? Donuts -- or dog droppings with evidence of gastro-intestinal distress?

[​IMG]

And blink... and blink...