main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-Wan's Decision To Leave Anakin Alive (after learning Maul was alive)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin 99, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    before everything else I like to say yes i know revenge of the sith was written Years Before the story line that bring back maul

Let's talk about how this story line reflect on Obi Wan decision on mustafar Seeing how now this gives Obi-Wan two sith apprentice he thought he killed, and then return with a vengeance

and this made Obi Knobi mistake leaveing Vader and without being sure of his death not the first time but the second time he did the same mistake
    AN" English is not my first language i apologized for any language mistakes

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Obi-Wan also sensed the Emperor's presence, so he had to leave quickly. But of course he could end Anakin with only one strike, I believe his emotions hindered him and he failed to finish Anakin, who was his brother before.

IHeartKenobi89 and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    With Anakin Obi-Wan succumbs to the horrific depths of the whole situation. Killing Anakin is a brutal act, as is leaving him alone barely clinging onto life. And the manner in which Obi-Wan puts a hand on 3PO's shoulder afterwards, weird how heartbreaking that is, as if Obi-Wan is desperate for any scrap of remaining humanity in the universe he can find. ROTS is quite the emotional ride.

4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    You can't really fault Kenobi for not anticipating that Maul would manage to survive bisection and a jaunt into an Endless Pit Of Doom. And in any case, even when he DID survive he came out of it as a gibbering loon that would have died on a backwater dump of a planet without outside intervention.

Anakin is more questionable but the dude was basically his brother and everything they had is gone, if he hadn't done what he did Anakin would have killed him. That's some heavy **** to deal with. Whether or not he did the right thing and why is questionable but even if you're of the mind he got it wrong, he wasn't really in any place to make a rational and thought out decision.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Imagine that someone very close to you; someone you hold very near and dear to your heart has gone over the deep end and is now killing everyone. And you have to stop them. Before they kill you as well. I don't blame Obi-Wan for doing what he did. I probably would've done the same thing.

6. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I am sorry for not explaining this better

I'm Not Saying Obi-Wan mistake not killing Anakin but leaveing him Thinking he will die That was a mistake for two reasons

1- him sensing the Emperor's presence

2- and now With the Maul story line Existence and canon he is written knowing the dark side ability of keeping some one alive even with Major injuries

he should Just take Anakin with him

7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Would Padme's ship have the medical tools to keep him alive? Also, imagine how she'd act if she saw her husband in that state.

8. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I think Obi-Wan is just entirely out of ****s to give about Anakin either way. Padme needs him, the Emperor is closing in and Anakin has one arm, oh yes and he's burst into flames as well. Plus if you believe the theory he was sensing the Emperor specifically then he knows that not only has Yoda (the most powerful Jedi in existence) failed but is quite probably dead. Kenobi would be lucky to make someone like that miss a beat while steamrollering him. His responsibility is to get Padme and the baby (babies in fact but they didn't know that yet) as far away from Palpatine as quickly as possible, not faff around near scorching hot lava trying to rescue a Sith Lord.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see some people feeling that Kenobi's responsibility is to decapitate Vader before legging it.

Vialco likes this.
  10. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Besides the realistic fact that Vader had to survive until the OT, I think it would have been too dark a moment Obi-Wan doing even a mercy-killing. It's just out of character, his walking away absolutely heartbroken and disgusted was pretty fitting.

11. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    It works symbolically for me. Obi-Wan is pretty much one of only two major characters (the other being Padme) to hold to his principles and maintain his morality and honour throughout the entire trilogy. Pretty much ALL of the greyer decisions the Jedi made, he was against. So when it gets to Mustafar and he's so broken and tired and overwhelmed by just how thoroughly screwed over they've all been that he just walks away from Anakin in agony it really says something about how messed up he's become.

(If you were so inclined you could even argue the more cynical, manipulative Obi-Wan of the OT is a direct result of the idealistic, principled PT Obi-Wan giving up on those principles.)

Iron_lord and Deliveranze like this.
  12. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Kenobi not wanted fight (and kill) against Skywalker. He striked him to defend himself.

Erkan12 likes this.
  13. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I think I read somewhere that he thought Anakin was going to die anyway

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Honestly? I get Obi-Wan's decision to spare Anakin. He just couldn't bring himself to kill his best friend. But I think part of it is also justice. Obi-Wan knows what Anakin did in the Temple. He saw him slaughter the younglings. You can see it when he's standing on the ramp of Padme's ship. He looks angry. So I think a part of Obi-Wan thought it was justice to let Anakin burn to death on the lava shores of Mustafar. A bit cruel, but Obi-Wan thinks Anakin has basically doomed the entire Galaxy to Sith rule. So he's a bit justified there. Not fully justified, but a bit.

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I still can't get past eliminating all the old EU just to have stuff like Darth Maul coming back being the new canon -- that's a perfect example of something that should be in "Legends" and not actively considered a part of the main cinematic storyline.

But keep in mind that Grievous survived much worse than either at the cost of his body. It's not unprecedented that someone could survive an injury that would mean death 99% of the time, but Obi-Wan (as well as anyone put into Obi-Wan's situation) would rightfully come to the conclusion that Anakin would be dead. Only through his hatred and abilities did he manage to hold on until he could be treated.