main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Obi Wan's Episode III Costume/Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by anpu, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the-rebel-agent

the-rebel-agent Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2006
    I want to introduce to your self the new prototype my new jeweler did. It is far away to be completed, but I am pretty confident that the final product will be superb. I really will appreciate your honest opinion about it. The jeweler will have to do some few modifications before nickel the brass buckle. I will keep you posted about that.

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebFormsLibrary/MainContainerForm.asp?iAction=2&lNewsId=89

PS: Do not forget to check the high resolution images.
    PS1: I included photos from the original model to compare.

2. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Looks awesome to me, dude. The only thing I could possibly critique would be that the score lines on the front seem maybe too shallow? Maybe?

BTW: I just recieved one of Diego's awesome Obi Wan belts this morning. It is a work of art. Great fit, craftsmanship, and accuracy. So glad I got it.

3. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Thanks Chris! ;), yes the front lines will be one of the modifications I was talking about.

4. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    I also got my MR Obi Wan Force FX this morning as well. It's been an OWK day.

5. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    This is the real attack of the pouches!

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebFormsLibrary/MainContainerForm.asp?iAction=2&lNewsId=90

No really, these are the ones I was able to do last week. As you will see they are no perfect, but I will improve my technique very soon.

A complete kit is formed of a comlink pouch, a mechanical pouch, a medkit pouch and the hook pouch. The hook pouch is the hard one to get. Not about the shape, cause the mold is very hard to fill. This is why I was not able to get a clear cast so far. Nothing that cannot be repaired using sandpaper.

I grouped them in kits for Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and even Qui-Gon Jinn from several of the movies. You can do whatever combination to get the gear that you are looking for.

As for the last, I did a paint test. The brown paint I got was to dark for my taste, but worked out great for the test drive. Then I used another paint to make them look old and watered. What do you think?

Next time I will show you the paint test and assembly for the hook pouch. May the Force be with you!

PS: Polyester resin is very heavy. The little one pouch is about 151 grms, and the comlink pouch is about 540grams almost a pound!

PS1: Do not forget to check the high-resolution images.

6. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    Here's my Jedi costume based off Obi-Wan's, although it has a few differences (most notibly the FX saber is Anakin's, and I photoshopped a green blade, as I, well... like green):

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/E107_Theta/Star%20Wars/Garrett_Jedi.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/E107_Theta/Star%20Wars/Garrett_Jedi_2.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/E107_Theta/Star%20Wars/Garrett_Jedi_3.jpg]

7. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Great work! I will post mine in no time!

8. mightytoast

mightytoast Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2006
    Hello,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I, like all of you, am working on building an Obi Wan costume. I have been studying many of your entries and have learned a lot. I have noticed a few entries regarding robes. Does anyone have an opinion about the robes provided by Mystic Merchant? I am particularly curious about getting a cotton robe versus a wool robe. Does the cotton variety have the right "look and lay" to seem authentic?

If it is improper to discuss a vendor's costume suplies on this forum I will stop. Thanks in advance for any imput.

9. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Do not post links and that will be fine I guess. Read the forum policies please.

10. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    I think as long as you don't post a link or act like you are pimping them out it is fine.

I have no experience with Mystic Merchant. I have heard good stuff from them from others, though.

But the more important argument is the woll vs. cotton robe one.

I have owned both and I will say this: I know cotton is cheaper and lighter and cooler. BUT. if you want to get the really look from the movies you just have to go with wool. I'm sorry but cotton isn't going to match the look of the robes you see onscreen. Quite frankly because the robes onscreen were made of wool. Cotton just doesn't look the same, weight the same, drape the same, or catch light the same as wool. Simple as that.

So the more important question to ask yourself would be thus: How often am I going to be wearing my robe? Remember that a Jedi costume is hot to begin with. And Cons are hot. So if you will maybe only wear your robe for group pictures then it might be ok to have a cotton robe. I believe you need a robe to get into the Rebel Legion as a Jedi.

The second question you have to ask youself is this: How accurately do I want to recreate the onscreen look of the costume in question? If your answer is "100% accurate" then you MUST get wool; and not only wool but the same type of wool as was used for Obi Wan. Which I think was a melton variety in a medium, reddish brown. If your answer is "I'd like to try to get as close as I can" then you still should get a wool robe but maybe one made of a lighter weight flannel but make sure the cut of the hems, hood, and sleeves is correct for the right shape. If your answer is "Eh, I just want to have a robe for complete the basic look" then by all means go cotton and just find the right cut and color. If your answer is "I don't care I just want to save money" then get whatever cotton robe you can find cheapest.

It's all up to how you feel about it.

For my time and money I try to get as close to accurate as I can. So I would always go with a wool robe. No question. It's what they wore in the films. But that's my opinion. Ultimately the costume is yours to have and wear. You have to decide what works best for you. You have to be comfortable wearing it around or the costume will just sit and then what's the point?

11. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    He has a point. But Mistik is always out of wool. so I will tell you to find other options. I have a denim Mistik Merchant robe and I love it. The fabrics they are using this year are not so great. Ask for fabric samples before you buy one. 1 dollar for shipping I think.

12. mightytoast

Nov 10, 2006
    Thanks darthdefyitall,

Your comments pretty much reflect the impressions I have been getting. Because I am anal, and a bit of a stickler for detail, I would be disposed to go with wool. However, I still have a very active metabolism (for an old guy) and would probably succumb to heat exhaustion wearing wool at a con....

I now know what I am going to do however. I will at least get a wool robe, and only wear that during the winter - Halloween for example. It can get pretty chilly up here in Wisconsin that time of year so I would be pretty snug when I go out with my kids. Kyle Katarn's suggestion about getting a fabric sample is a good one, and I think I could be happy with a cotton robe during the warmer months when I want to "finish" the look of the costume.

For the mean time, I will concentrate on building my Obi Wan costume, sans robe. I will be concentrating on elements that closely resemble the actual costume and will pay the price for it. This is the first serious Obi Wan costume I will have ever assembled and I don't want to have to redo it :)

Thank you both for your input!

13. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    And remember that I will be doing more Obi-Wan stuff next month. Stay tuned. even better, I will be posting photos from my new Obi ROTS costume. The one that I will be using at my wedding at 9 Dec. :)

14. mightytoast

Nov 10, 2006
    Can't wait to see your new Obi-Wan items as well as the wedding pics. My wife would have NEVER let me dress like that at our wedding. Good for you. =D= My best wishes to you and your wife! Congratulations!

15. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Thank you very much! Hope to get ready my costume this week. I am very close. I am finishing the tabards stuff and the obi. The accessories will came later. keep you posted. [face_praying]

16. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    Check out this fabric! I've made my brother's costume out of it. The weave is slightly finer, and the color a little light, but it's pretty close! The crinkle is awesome! And actually, the real fabric is a pain since it's so see through, so I'm kind of glad this is a finer weave, I didn't have to line the costume!

[image=http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/ProductImages/321fabrics/32161/32161-02.jpg]

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4083

17. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/Supanova/DSC04088.jpg]

This is Obi Wan Toddis Obi Wan costume, (with Darth Meanders son as Anakin and my daughter as Padme...

18. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Amazing found! Do you have a better photo? A close up maybe? Thanks for share it[face_peace]

19. mooglar

mooglar Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2004
    I never thought I would wear wool because I'm always too hot just in regular clothes (I lived in Alaska for two years and thought the climate was great). But, after seeing another guy with a wool robe, I realized that nothing else looks right. Cotton is stiffer and doesn't hang properly.

Also, if you're planning on doing any saber stuff, cotton is usually stiffer than wool and doesn't slide back the way wool does. That's why, in my opinion, the outer tunic sleeves are lined on the prequel Jedi costumes, BTW. So that that the arms will slide back when they're fighting. Wool outer robe sleeves will slide back with the outer tunic sleeve to stay out of the way. Most cotton, especially twill, won't.

Here's how I survive wearing wool, especially on hot days: Underarmour. It makes a huge difference having something under my tunics that takes the sweat away. I'm still hot, but it's livable. I used to get headaches from the heat without the Underarmour, but now I don't (I also make sure to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated). Don't go for the cheap Wal-Mart stuff, though, it doesn't work as well (or at all), as far as I can tell. Get an Underarmour compression shirt, cut a 'V' in the front so it won't show under your inner tunic, and you're good to go.

Just my opinion, of course. :^)

20. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    Well, the satin lining does help the sleeves flow better. But I believe the reason Obi Wan's tunic was lined in Episode 1 is because the crinkle cotton fabric is see-through without it.

21. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Sorry, that's the pic from the site. They'll send you a swatch if you want to see it :)

22. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    Hey, hello there! My wedding costume is done. Here I will introduce it to you in parts, cause I took some many photos during the production :)
    Let's begin with the pants, the first piece of the costume I did. I took the mold from a nurse uniform pant, they don't have pockets. But you will see by the photos I posted. If you have any question do not hesitate in pm me.

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebFormsLibrary/MainContainerForm.asp?iAction=2&lNewsId=95

[image=http://www.theforce.com.ar/images/News/Obi-WanKenobiROTSCostume/DSC00991L.jpg]

Next post will be the under-tunic. Stay tuned!

23. SithHunter92

SithHunter92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2006
    if you can't afford the Adobe products go to fxhome.com and download the demo of their software. it's really good. It can create lightsabers, gun flashes, lasers, smoke, and lots of other stuff and its affordable. hope this helps

24. the-rebel-agent

Sep 5, 2006
    As I promised, this is the under-tunic construction. This is my idealized version.

[image=http://www.theforce.com.ar/images/News/Obi-WanKenobiROTSCostume/DSC01104L.jpg]

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebFormsLibrary/MainContainerForm.asp?iAction=2&lNewsId=96

Next step I will present the tunic. Stay tuned.

25. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Wow, explain to me how you did the neck wrap! I made a funky shape of a wrap (mostly rectangular until it flared out to form the V down the neck), and it kind of fit... but not too well. It looks like you did a complete rectangle, fitted it around the neck, basted the V of the shirt to it, cut it and then sewed it together? Is that how you did it? It looks awesome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.