main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Obi Wan's Episode III Costume/Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by anpu, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_b

jedi_b Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2005
    Any news on the Obi Wan front guys?---B

2. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Well... my hair is finally long enough to make a somewhat believeable Obi-Wan :p

Well nothing else so far from me. ;)

3. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Now you have to start working on the beard :p

4. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Yeah... don't remind me of that [face_frustrated]

;)

5. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Inspired by Justins work for the Anakin episode 3 costume I did something similar for the Obi-Wan Episode 3 costume.
    I collected reference pictures, exhibit pics and screen caps for the cotume I# making for Paul (Rogan_Agar) and I want to share all this with you happy
    Hope you can use some of it.

It's far from complete but a start :)

[b][hl=brown][color=white]Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 3[/color][/hl][/b]

"I find that the most interesting side of playing Obi-Wan Kenobi is trying to portay as a younger man
    someone we know and love as an older man. In this last movie we had to match physically as well. It was extraordinary
    to stand in front of the mirror with all my wardrobe on - because I was Obi-Wan Kenobi, and that was quite a moment
    for this young man." - Ewan McGregor, Dressing a Galaxy

[b]- costume overview -[/b]

During the prequels the costume of Obi-Wan doesn't change as dramatically as the rest of his outer appearence.
    Especially his hair cut changes from short hair with a braid as Qui-Gon Jinn's Padawan in Episode 1: a "Jedi mullet" and beard in Epsiode 2
    to finally the more Alec Guinness style hair cut and beard in Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith.
    The main reason for changes in his Jedi wardrobe is to connect this younger Obi-Wan Kenobi of the perquels to the
    old hermit living in the desert of Tatooine we know from the original trilogy.

In Episode 3 the costume of Obi-Wan Kenobi consists of these parts:

- inner tunic
    - outer tunic
    - cloth tabbards
    - obi
    - belt
    - lightsabre
    - pants
    - boots
    - robe

I'm adding reference pictures of the belt, lightsabre and boots, but I will focus on the "cloth" parts of the costume.
    That's mainly because I'm leaving all the leather work to my brother and boyfriend every time we are working on costumes, so I don't have a clue
    how to handle leather. ;)

To say it right in the beginning there are a lot of usefull patterns but you have to modify them all.
    It's always a good idea to make a version of you costume out of very cheap fabric. From the prototype you can tell if you
    are on the right way or should start working on the patterns again.

[b][color=brown]- inner tunic -[/color][/b]

From a behind the scenes picture we know, that the inner tunic isn't completely made out of dark brown fabric.
    Only the sleeves and collar part are made out of the brown fabric and sewn onto a white/beige fabric.
    So the inner tunic is more like an undershirt, which secures a perfect fit of the tunic even during fighting scenes.
    You, who want to make this costume, now have to decide, if you want the Jedi style tunic or use movie magic. ;)

The collar is three-coated. On a pic linked below you can guess that the seams holding the layers in place
    are on the very top of the folds.
    Again in this pic you can see that the tunic isn't a full tunic and how the collar is sewn onto the shirt.

In one of the pics below you can see that the collar is a lot higher than the collar of the outer tunic.

It's best to make the sleeves 1/4 longer than you would need to get the piled look of the sleeves.

[b]Reference pictures[/b]

[link=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/innertunic.jpg]http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/innertunic.jpg[/link]
    [link=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/ObiWanneck.jpg]http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/ObiWanneck.jpg[/link]
    [link=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/collar2.jpg]http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/collar2.jpg[/link]

[b]Fabric[/b]

Swatches of the original fabric used have been added to the Dressing a Galaxy Ltd. edition set.
    Also any flexible dark brown fabric, like heavier jersey fabrics will do fine.

[b][color=brown]- outer tunic -[/color][/b]

The fabric used for the outer tunic is very light, beige and crinkled. Because it is so light it's absolutly necessary to add a lining
    to the tunic. The lining fabric is a bit lighter in color than the outer tunic fabric.
    It's useful to have an additional seam around the waist line to avoid folds when you put on the obi and belt.
    T

6. jedi_b

jedi_b Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2005
    Great job gaiatha!-----I'll try to post anything I've discovered in my hunt too!---B

7. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Wow... Jule, incredible... :eek:

Great post and with lots of info I did not know!!!

8. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Great Post there!

Perhaps we can work togetehr and add more to the list for dimentions and the like :) Someoen suggested in teh Anakin thread to make a website...

If you need some more reference I have been adding to my collection:

http://www.petridish.net/albumview.asp?a=21691

9. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Great pictures!!! :)

10. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Thanks everyone! :)

Great collection!

I'd love to work together and improve the list. Honestly I feel kind of honored ;) :D
    I guess we could use the threads here on the boards to collect all the info and than start a website.

11. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Sounds like a great idea, Jule! :)

12. GallecNesubi

GallecNesubi Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2006
    I have been working on this costume since last fall.
    Is there anyone still working on their costume?

This thread has been a great, but I am curious as to the
    success people have been having.

13. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Oh don't remind me.... [face_blush]

In my head everything is ready but I simply don't find the time to start.
    But uni started this week so this means I can start on the prototype next week :p

Good to hear that you could find usefull info on this thread :D
    And I'd love to see pics of your costume. Even if you are still sewing. I simply love to see how other people work and learn from them :)

14. mooglar

mooglar Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2004
    GallecNesubi:

I've just started working on mine. I'm doing a Mustafar fight version of Obi-Wan's Ep III outfit, with all the burns and stuff, to go with my girlfriend's pregnant Padme Mustafar outfit (what they call in "Dressing a Galaxy," apparently without irony, her "Taupe Action Outfit").

gaiatha:

Great job! One thing I recently noticed, from one of Primrodo's reference pics, actually, is that only the arms of Obi-Wan's tunic are lined. If you look at the pic, you can see pretty clearly the brown of his undertunic dickie right through the fabric. It seems clear to me that the reason for the undertunic's white shirt with brown arms and a dickie is to keep the brown from showing through the outer tunic's unlined parts.

As a stickler for accuracy (though not quite as much as Primrodo! :)), it was a relief to me to see that his outer tunic wasn't lined. As much as lining the outer tunic makes a really light fabric like crinkle cotton (as most of us use) sturdier, I found that it also made the outfit so hot that I got sick at a Con in Boston a few months ago. It's much better now that I've ripped the lining out and don't have to feel inaccurate about doing so!

Not that there's anything wrong with lining your outer tunic, of course, if you don't put out as much freakin' body heat as I do! [face_blush]

pic:

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/21691/marte1.jpg]

15. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    amazing find mooglar!! =D=
    And I think your absolutly right about why only the arms are lined.
    Nothing wrong with being a "stickler for accuracy". Well, at least a bit ;)

It's great to know a few people are working on this costume :D

16. GallecNesubi

Apr 25, 2006
    Overheating is a concern of mine, but I will use a thin muslin lining to help taylor the outer tunic.
    I will post photos within the next week I hope.
    I ordered boots that should come in by Friday.

My pants are done, and I have 2 under tunics.

A mockup of the outer tunic will begin next week.

I have been collecting research since October of last year.
    I got the limited ed Dressing a Galaxy at Christmas and finished
    fabric shopping at the end of February.

I wish everyone luck.

17. MorgonKEN-BUR

MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2005
    i havent read the whole thread, but incase u didnt know, obiwans undertunic colar is attached to a white undershirt or some sort. Its not all brown. I saw it for a fact at the museum of science in boston.

18. GallecNesubi

Apr 25, 2006
    You're right. I've seen several photos.

I mounted raglan sleeves onto a crew neck tshirt that I tinted tan.
    The neck piece is a dicky that snaps into place.

19. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Whenever you are ready to go, Jule :)

20. GallecNesubi

Apr 25, 2006
    Do any of you know where I might be able to find
    a screen acurate buckle?

21. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I'm starting on this a second time. First time I used a loosly woven soft linen -washed, and I just lined the sleeves. I attatched velcro at the shoulders to keep the tabards in place. Now I've learned much more about the way the sash is actually "wrapped".
    I'm making this now out of a crinkled cotton. Hancock Fabrics has this in 100% cotton (good for dyeing) - WalMart has sort of the same material with some poly in it but the color is perfect for Obi-Wan. Silky lining on sleeves. We just had a dickie for the under shirt. He would be too hot otherwise!

I made an Anakin out of crinkled "gauze" but had to stay stitch every piece and fully line it for stability but after the dyeing process of dark brown mixed with a little black, it came out looking very much like the real one.

An easy way to make any buckle is to cut it out of aluminum (flashing) and glue it to another similar buckle. I've made all our belts out of good looking vinyl, sort of faux painted on it with acrylic paint to get the leather shading. But I'm always in the market for some leather taken from garments from the "Goodwill" stores.
    Did anyone see Simplicity pattern for this #4450? I've used this and modified it somewhat.
    Robe - My son bought "light weight wool" for this (quite expensive) It's the perfect color and I spared no seamstress details when making it such as french seams ect.
    For Anakin dark brown we ordered from Denver Fabrics - Tropical weight wool in the perfect dark, dark brown (you can order a swatch first)
    thanks for the pics.

22. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Crinkled cotton at Hancock Fabrics is called "Calcutta"
    WalMart called "Calcutt"

23. 0biJ0hn72

0biJ0hn72 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2006
    Greetings all! Wow. Thats the only way I can start this post! I thought I had done an awful lot of homework for my dream "Obi-Wan" costume, but as I just found out, I'm still just a kindergartner compared to you. This is my first post on the Forum, and the first complete thread I've read here.
    I have been compiling pictures, patterns, how-to's and the like for several months now. One of my co-workers has agreed to do all the sewing for my robe, tunic, undertunic, tabbards, and obi (I can sew, but have never used a sewing machine!). My next step was going to be fabric shopping, and last night I started making my own patterns for belt pouches. I had so many questions, but after reading all the incredible input from all of you, I have even more!!!
    The costume I am making is for Halloween, but I want my robe to be totally functional, as in, wearable for some time. I'm not going for total movie realism, but would like to get as close as I can get with little to no $$$. I have to keep this whole project on a very tight budget, so my saber, boots, belt, pouches, etc... will all be handmade, "hardware" versions (Is that the right term?? I'm such a newbie...). I was thinking of using Army wool blankets for the robe, but heard that dying wool is pretty much a nightmare. I'm going to hit up good ol WalMart and see if they have any passable colored blankets. For the pants I'm just going to use a pair of khaki Dickies. Probably mock up some spats for a pair of desert Army boots I have (ex-military, 13 years of drudgery!) Also because of the military, I've been growing my Obi-Wan beard for 2 years now, and I have actually been asked several hundred times if various pictures of Obi-Wan are in fact me.
    I've been a die-hard Star Wars fan since 1977, and this isn't the first time I've thought of dressing up as Obi-Wan. However, the last time I did, my mom made the costume for me, and it was actually a Jawarobe from the previous Halloween!! Of course, the last time I dressed up, was about 24 years ago!!
    Ok, I've bored you all for long enough... Again, thank you for all the info, if any of you are still willing to pass out advice for "Padawan" costumers, I'm all ears!!

Of course, May the Force be with you!!!

24. 0biJ0hn72

0biJ0hn72 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2006
    I sure hope someone reads this soon.

25. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Hi and welcome to the boards ObiJohn :)

It really sounds like you did your homework for this costume and I'm happy that this therad could be of use for you :)
    And you know that you have to post a pic of yourself don't you. :p

I think it's great that you put so much effort in a Helloween costume. I'm pretty sure that it will turn out great and that you'll have fun with it even after Heloween :D

About the fabric issue:
    I've never tried to dye wool but cotton is pretty easy to dye. I heard that liquid dyes are a lot easier to handle and it's not too hard to mix the right color with them.
    If you go with blankets could happen that they are too light. Maybe it's an idea to make a double layered robe?

Anyway good luck with the costume and post pics please :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.