main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Obi Wan's Episode III Costume/Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by anpu, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0biJ0hn72

0biJ0hn72 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2006
    Good deal, someone finally read it! Thanks for the advice, I was wondering about the double layered robe idea myself. I've since found some passable flannel fabric at WalMart, but still have to make the trip to a JoAnn fabrics or something. I didn't see any useful blankets at good ol Wally World. They also had some good colored fabric for the tunic/tabbards/obi, but it wasnt the "crinkle" type. The girl that offered to sew for me says she knows how to crinkle it, but that it would take forever. About the pictures, once I go through will all this research and whatnot, you couldnt STOP me from posting about a billion pictures of myself wishing I was Obi Wan!! I've got about 85% of my lightsaber now, just have to find a couple more pieces, and then actually assemble it. I've had a couple nice windfalls in terms of lightsaber parts, and havent had to pay for any of them yet! But I digress...

Thanks again!

2. RYAN-J

RYAN-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2006
    Here's my saber. I was bored one day so I threw it together. Not perfect but I like it. I'm still working on finding some of the pieces.

[image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/EwanMcGregorLightsaber3.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/EwanMcGregorLightsaber2.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/EwanMcGregorLightsaber1.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsabercase3.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsabercase2.jpg]

RYAN J.

3. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    oh oh oh, someone who actually knows how to crinkle fabric!!!!
    If you could talk her into making a tutorial I'd owe you more than one!!! I've been reading through maybe a hundred tutorials now but most of them leave me with even more questions...

RYAN-J that's a very nice collection! :cool:
    Thanks for sharing pic :)

4. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    This thread is really cool! I can't tell you how hard I have been looking for so much of the information that is already posted right here. My little brothers' birthday is coming up, so I have resolved to make him a outfit and Obi Wan's is his all time favorite.

Anyways I know this is an episode 3 thread, but I had to ask, does anyone know if there is a difference between Obi Wan's Episode 2 and 3 cloaks? Or are they the same? I've been looking through padawansguide.com but I didn't see anything on this. If anyone could answer this I would be SOOOOOOO grateful! Also when you all make your jedi belts, what is the type of leather you use? is there a name for it? I have a limited time frame, but fabric stores that I can get to, I just don't have enough time to reasearch leathers, as that is the one fabric I have zero knowledge of.

Thanks so much again!
    Take care and God bless!
    ~N

5. klang2001

klang2001 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2006
    hello

i am new so forgive me if i am posting in the wrong place!

I spent 3 weeks making my son and husband costumes for my sons birthday, now my son loves his and plays in it, but my hubby isnt impressed with the prospect of wearing it to play in the garden with my son, so i am thinking of selling it, along with the leia dress i made myself.

the question is, is their a market for it? do you think it would sell or would i be wasting my time advertising it?

i used this site loads for ideas while making them all, but have only just joined, so i thought i would ask here 1st!

k

6. GallecNesubi

GallecNesubi Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2006
    Welcome to the forum obijohn.

I have been working on my costume for 8 months now including research. I will try to post some photos of my progress by the end of next week, including the fabrics that I dyed for the tunic.

7. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Welcome to the boards klang2001 :)
    That's really sad that you've put so much time and effort into costumes and now have to sell them.
    But I had to sell a costume too a few month ago to get the money for a new one. We sold it at ebay, which is always worth a try.
    I'm not sure if you are allowed to sell your costumes here on the boards.

Anyways good luck and agai welcome to the boards :)

GallecNesubi can't wait to see your pics :D
    I'll try to think of taking pics when I start sewing the costume.

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    klang2001, you can only advertise your own eBay auction on these boards. Good luck with selling!

9. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Nidrail I think that "Dressing a Galaxy" has a few very usefull pics and I'm pretty sure that the robe in Episode 2 and 3 are the same. You can tell from the fabric that was used.
    I promise to have a look at the book again when I'm back home at the weekend :)

10. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks so much, Gaiatha! That will be a HUGE help thank you SOOO much!

The only question left is what type of leather to use for the belt.

GB!
    ~N

11. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    OK I have a couple questions for you all:

I am making this costume for a 9 yr old, so I found the simplicity pattern 4426
    here:

http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4426

OK so the cloak appears to be anakins. Is there a difference between Anakin and Obi Wan's episode 3 cloaks? I can't see one, but I haven't had a llot of time to research this in perticular.

Also, has anyone tried the pattern 4426? How accurate is it?

PLease, if anyone can answer this, I will be SOOOOO greateful! I have a tight schedule otherwise I would make my own pattern and find out all of this information for myself.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Take care and God bless!
    ~Nidrail

12. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    From the pic of the patter you've posted the costume looks acurate enogh for a kid for me.
    And with a tight schedule this patter will save you a lot of time because you don't ahve to make a pattern yourself.

In this[http://simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=4426]pic of the patter[/link] it looks like the tabbards are too narrow below the obi. This will need to be modified but pretty easy to do.
    The only really bad thing about this pattern is is that the inner tunic! I think I don't have to explain why ;)

You can't really tell how the cloak is constructed...
    But I think you won't have a problem with using Anakins for ObiWan.
    The main thing is a seam on the shoulder were hood and the front part of the cloak are sewn together. Anakins hood is very wrinkeled close to the seam while ObiWans isn't.
    This pics should make clearer what I'm trying to say.
    ObiWan:
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23990/robe.jpg]

Anakin

I don't know about the sleeves if you should make them wider considering that this is a costume for a kid...

Sadly I have no idea about leather work myself. I always leave that to the boys :p
    But I think we have a thread about it somewhere.
    //EDIT: this thread could be usefull.

I hope your 9 yr old aprreciates all the work you put in this costume ;)

(Gosh theses are the post that remind me of how limited my english is... [face_tired])

13. klang2001

klang2001 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2006
    hello

that is the same pattern i used for my 8 yr olds anakin.

the only problem i had was the belt came up small for the 2 costumes i made, so i would cut larger and measure measure measure! also the ties for the over tunic seemed very high to me, so i moved them down a couple of inches.

i also put hook and eyes on the shoulders under the colar and on the tabbard as it kept falling off the shoulders.

i would put a pic up but can work out how to do it.

I also used the mens size for my husbands, that came up really well too.

[image=http://w66.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstrip&featurename=jedis&pa=/h251/klang2001/
    ]

14. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Gaiatha, your english is wonderful! :eek: I didn't see anything wrong with any of that, it made great sense!

Thank you both SOOO much! I know the costume will be outgrown pretty quick, but he's never had a costume
    (we found out just how wonderful blankets can be instead of cloaks, lol) so I wanted to make this as nice as possible. :) Thank you again! I don't know what I would do without all you people in here!

I will look at that other thread now and see if I can't find something!

klang, is that your son? WOW! He's so cute! my little brother also has red hair like that!
    Thank you for posting that, I have to go buy the pattern now!!

Thank you all, I am so excited! This is gonna be fun!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

15. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I used the Simp. pattern for a child and I thought the cloak was good enough for him. I knew the parents did not want to spend the money on yds of fabric. I just used a twill. But for the adult size pattern, I modified it and used light weight wool.
    Larger pleats on the shoulder and I made the sleeves longer for the large hem (I lined the sleeves) and for the hood - I followed directions found on the Padawan's Guide. I believe the size for the hood was 25"x50"? I made both Anakin and Obi-wan adults the same.
    Mine did not want to wear full under tunics. too hot! so we made the dickies that the pattern called for.

16. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    AHHH well thank you! I have just purchased the pattern AND two belts that I shall now take apart and re-create :D This is going to be fun! *rubs hands together* And now to work!

Thank you all for the tips, If I get pics I'll post em!

God Bless!
    ~N

17. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Have fun Nidrail and good luck! :D [face_good_luck]

18. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you, Gaiatha! I'll need it! :D

OK ONE more question: Obi Wan's belt clip. I don't have a big budget, so I couldn't buy a whole nother pair of shoes just for the clips on top. Does anyone know of a good substance/ whatever to make the clip out of? it is for the front, of course. GEEZE the things I forget to think of :D

Thanks!
    ~N

19. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Does anyone know where or who has an authentic OB1 Ep III belt buckle i have been looking for quite some time now with no luck. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

20. GallecNesubi

Apr 25, 2006
    [image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/KenobiIII/a10bc027.jpg]

[image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/KenobiIII/c26ca14c.jpg]

Well, here are the first of the progress shots.

Anyone else have any photos?

21. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    WOW dude you make a great look-a-like to Obi Wan!!! VERY cool!! Great start on it, I like the boots!

Well I don't have any pictures, but I have finished the cloak today, and it is AWESOME!!!! The belt will be finished in about an hour. :) Thank you all SO MUCH for your help, it is really turning out great! Anyhow it will be a while to get pictures, We're going on a trip so I and my computer will be apart for quite some time :)

Thanks once again!
    ~N

22. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    How could I miss theses amazing pics?!?!? :eek:
    GallecNesubi you look spectacular! You're defenitly a great ObiWan double!

And I like the way you constructed the inner tunic. What kind of fabric did you use for the white parts?
    I was thinking about something skin friendly but haven't found anything good yet.

Nidrail I hope you'll share pics with us. ;)

Keep up the good work everyone! :D

23. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Nice pics GallecNesubi Cant wait to see it all finished. Great work so far. I like the boots. How far along are you on your outer tunic. =D=

24. GallecNesubi

Apr 25, 2006
    Thanks guys.

I attached the undertunic sleeves (heavy doubleknit jersey to a tinted cotton t-shirt. I left the original t-shirt sleeves to act as sweat sheilds.
    The neck is a dickie that snaps into place.
    I hope to be finished with the outer tunic by the end of the month. I will post more photos as I make progress.
    Thanks again to everyone's posts. There is an amazing amount of info on this thread.

25. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Great pictures!!! You are a damn cool Obi-Wan!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.