Obi Wan's Force Gesture

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by JediNdaCity, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    It was a fairly stupid scene, makes me cringe when I see it. I would have rather had the line "what a coincidence, I trained the man who killed him" inserted back in the film.
  2. Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Master

star 4
    I totally agree with you on that one.

The stance was cool people!
  3. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with a couple of the earlier posters, this looks extremely stupid.:confused:

Throwing a peace sign with one hand and drawing your weapon with the other is like Mike Tyson saying he'll eat your children and then in the same breath saying all praise to Allah.
    [face_plain]
  4. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Yes, Peter Diamond played Iman Fasil. The original stunt actor backed out so Diamond stepped in at Bob Anderson's request. A separate stuntman filmed the backflips. Though technically, what Connor MacLeod does in the first and fourth film is not the same. He doesn't use the same flourish to enter the stance and he has his hand open all the way. Not two fingers. Though the purpose is similar.

It's not a peace sign. It's as mentioned early, it's a gesture used in esoteric Buddhism and martial arts to give the user protection, in order to dispense some divine justice. It's very fitting for a Jedi who uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. Besides, the peace sign is two fingers pointed straight up. Obi-wan's fingers are like that of the mudra. Crooked and pointed more at Grievous than in the air.
  5. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    And here I just thought it looked cool.
  6. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not a peace sign.
    :p

I know, I know...IMO it still looks stupid though.
  7. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    It would have looked cooler if he had the green blade like he should have as a master.
  8. Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Lightsabre colour has nothing to do with rank.

It's pretty stupid. He has a stance in the other films, what happens to it in this one!?
  9. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually it does. All the Masters (save for Mace) have green blades. Knights and Padawans have blue.
  10. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Nope. Ki-Adi-Mundi & Agen Kolar have blue blades. They're Masters. So did Shaak Ti. The Younglings had green blades. Luke's a Padawan in ROTJ and has a green blade. Obi-wan's a Master and has a blue blade. Mace was going to have a blue blade, before he asked for purple. Adi Gallia had a burgundy blade and then it was retconned to a blue one. She was a Master.

[image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/thumb/0/02/300px-Dralligbenewhie.jpg]

Whie has a green blade and he is most definately not a Jedi Master. He's only a Padawan whose Master was killed by Asajj Ventress.

Lightsaber color rankings are eu only.
  11. TheCRZA Jedi Master

star 4
    Ki Adi Mundi, also a master, uses a blue lightsaber.
    I think this idea has been sufficiently torpedoed.
  12. Anagorn Jedi Knight

star 3
    For Ewan to do a Highlander stance sure
    makes sense since he is Scottish! [face_peace]
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Well, technically it's not exclusive to Highlander. It's exclusive to anyone who is a swordfighter/master or studies Buddhism and knows about mudra.
  14. Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    It's not EU either.

It's just people wanting lightsabre colour to have a ranking system. As though the Jedi cannot have the same colour blade as their Master.
  15. Adm_Thrawn Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed. Lightsaber color is purely an aesthetic choice. What's your favorite color? Simple as that.
  16. The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd wanna at least go out acknowledging the other side, which at the Grievous scene outnumbered Obi-Wan in the hundreds if not thousands. In the storyline overview it could have just been him getting in the moment and girding himself for battle. I think it's obvious from the Lucas scheme of things it was done to give the audience a signal that the battle was going to commence.
  17. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I think it's more like this:

Lucas: "You, you're Jedi blue."

Extra: "Why am I Jedi blue? Why can't I be Jedi purple?"

Lucas: "Because some other Jedi, on another planet is Jedi purple. Now shut up, you're Jedi blue."
  18. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.cswu.cz/prequels/postavy/obiwan/images/obiwan.jpg]

I think this looks a little better... a little less.... audacious.
  19. Luke_SW Jedi Knight

star 2
    he should've only done it once
    then it would've been more of a spontaneous kind of thing
    the fact that he did it twice in a row makes it seem like "okay have you been saving that one for a special occassion" or something
  20. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
  21. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    I think it looks really cool, one of my favorite things in the movie in fact :D
  22. TheCat Jedi Master

star 4
    He's part Jedi, part water diviner
  23. inkswamp Jedi Knight

star 3
    I vote cool. :cool:

When I first saw the film, I didn't realize it was a martial arts move. I thought it was Obi-Wan's way of pointing toward his opponents in a "you're next" way to rile them up. He adopted an in-your-face demeanor toward Grievous on Utapau with the whole dropping right into his midst and the "hello there" and "your move" lines. Seemed to me that Grievous was so mechanically menacing, that Obi-Wan was trying to irritate him to throw him off. This ties in nicely with the "Try not to upset him, Anakin" line from earlier in the film.

Just my take. I liked it. It fit Obi-Wan's attitude for the scene.
  24. TC-47 Jedi Knight

star 2
  25. Senator_Lorena Force Ghost

star 2
    When I first saw the movie I thought, "Wow, that's different for Obi-Wan or any other Jedi."

I also believe it was cool.

Another movie in which I've seen this stance was in The Mask of Zorro. When Ellana fought Zorro in the horse stall, she surprised him with the stance. She said, "I have received the proper instruction (in swordsmanship) since I was four."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.