main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wans Lightsaber (spoiler?)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I posted about how Obi-Wan had his old lightsaber on the cover of the TCG, but nobody had anything to say about it. I figured maybe it would be covered in the movie, but guess what...IT WASN'T!!!

HOW THE HECK DOES HE GET HIS LIGHTSABER BACK?!?! IT FELL DOWN THAT BIG HOLE PLACE THAT MAUL FELL DOWN!

2. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I see a couple of possibilities, one, he managed to recover his original saber after the fight with Maul. Not to likley but certainly possible. Two, he likes the design enough that he constructed another just like the first.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i've read in many places that he rebuilds his lightsaber to "almost" exactly match his old one. it's not the same lightsaber.

besides, he loses it again in aotc anyway....

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    I COULD SEE HOW A SABER STYLE COULD REPRESENT YOUR PERSONALITY . LIKE A STYLE OF SHOES OR SOMETHING . IT WOULD BE LIKE YOUR CAR . HOPEFULLY YOU WOULDNT LOOSE YOUR CAR ENOUGH TO HAVE TO BUILD A NEW ONE THAT OFTEN

5. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    hmm..as far as I could tell it was the same exact design...*shrug*

I did like how he was preaching to anakin about losing hte lightsaber & he had already lost his (and loses it again).

Anakin's did look like the one that Luke ends up with, and it got destroyed, so maybe they do just like to remake the same style *shrug*.

6. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    In my AOTC visual dictionary it says that Dooku's saber hilt is curved because of the style of saber fighting that he uses, and it also states that Obi-wan and Anakin use different fighting forms. So one could assume that a Jedi would prefer a certain style of hilt based on their fighting form.

7. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    They can have the same "style" without it looking exactly alike though.

And I love Dooku's saber (the hasbro one), it's cool and it feels like the pistol grip of a real saber.

8. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Exactly, that's why Vader's saber is similar to Anakin's without being identical. That only leaves the question of why Obi-wan made such a radical change of saber design between AOTC & ANH.

9. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    In youthful exuberance, one tends to be flashy, sleek, and have a strong grip backed by force....with age comes less of a need for these things, and the grip softens with experience and relies on the wisdom of combat and less on forceful induction......one looks for purposability in an instrument, and cares little for what the component looks like to others. These are just a few of the likely reasons that ObiWan changes saber-form......not to mention the even more likely fact that modern audiences wanted a flashier saber in the hand of one of the movies' greatest heroes, eh!?

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    hmm..as far as I could tell it was the same exact design...*shrug*

yeah, i'm still trying to figure out exactly what the difference it. i can't tell either.

as far as anakin's, it looks real identical to the anh luke saber, but you can tell the differences.

11. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    as much as i love this debate i think this is what lucas refers to as nitpicking. I also wondered about the sabers & the differences & why & when which ones got built, etc. but im not sure if hes gonna care enough to explain it. the opening for an explanation is huge if you think of the final fight from E3. Anakin will lose (duh) & Obi-Wan takes Anis saber back to his trunk to wait for luke ( i wonder if he still has Qui-Gons in there too?). as for when Obi- Wan builds his new one from ANH- we could see it in E3 since his other one is gone AGAIN. (jeez, he keeps lecturing Ani about it & he cant keep a saber for a whole movie!)
    How about when he stops going by Obi-Wan & takes the name Ben ? the very end of E3 ?or before, as a general in Organas army? hmmmmmmm..........

12. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Since Luke's saber in ANH & ESB WAS Anakin's saber they should look similar. I expect we will see that saber again in Ep3.

13. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    nitpicking or not, I think it's a huge oversight on GL's part to have Obi-Wan's saber look exactly like the one in the episode before that when he so dramatically loses it in a final battle, and not explain what the deal was.

My thoughts on what would happen...

Anakin liked that whole 2 saber thing. By the time that (2nd to last) battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin takes place, Anakin will have made both the blue one (replacing the old one) and a red one as well. Obi-Wan's going to lose his old saber during the fight and somehow gain possession of Anakin's blue saber, defeating him with it. He'll hang on to it for Luke.

14. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    JD-good theory- i like the 2 saber idea again for E3- i think it also plays to the idea that Vader holds his saber with just one hand- remember the bespin duel when he pushes luke down ?
    & i think the identical saber for Obi-Wan just means he built another. i dont think its an oversight. it seems too obvious for them to just forget. as you said he loses it pretty dramatically. Im still wondering where Qui-Gons saber is. i expected Obi-Wan to use it for a while, but building & "bonding" with your own saber seems key to being a Jedi.
    & i didnt mean the nitpicking thing as a rip on anyone. i love nitpicking these flicks! i just feel an occasional need to remind that even some people at Lucasfilm dont think as much about these movies as we do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.